Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background: Following WWII Japan was occupied by the USA and its political and military leaders tried for war crimes, with the exception of Emperor Hirohito who was merely demoted from divinity. As the Cold War began the USA acted swiftly to rebuild the Japanese economy and elevate Japan to the status of an Ally. Japan became an important US partner in the Asia-Pacific region, though it eschewed military adventure, concentrating on economic growth.

Effect: USA 4 Ops starred event. Add sufficient influence in Japan for US control. USSR may not attempt coups or realignment rolls in Japan.

Strategy: This is one of those cards that you should tell your opponent about if he is new to the game. I've seen a USSR player put 5 influence in Japan, only to watch in horror as USA influence there rises to 9 with this event. Once you know about it it serves as a limit on USSR expansion in Asia.

As USSR I normally play this for OPs without much soul searching, viewing Japan as a lost cause. As USA I will generally play this for Ops and put 3 influence in Japan and 1 elsewhere, simply to keep a nice card in the deck, although I once found myself drawing this card with Missile Envy when I already controlled Japan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Chace
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exactly - I don't really see the point of keeping the card in the deck as the US player. The event typically isn't very useful after the US controls Japan so you're just keeping around a 4 ops card that is just as likely to go to your opponent as it is to you. And of couse it could come back to the US with a vengeance if you play Missle Envy. I see it as a wash, in fact as US I usually play it for the event.

I think it can make a good headline card for the US in case of Asia Scoring or Korean War from your opponent. Not likely but you never know.

For the USSR it can actually be fun to play it with UN Intervention (or even space race it). The US player often won't place influence in Japan because they don't want to "waste" the event so they end up playing 1 battleground country down in Asia, which they really can't afford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lure is of course the extra point of influence you get by playing it for Ops instead of the event. I agree it does make a good US headline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Always interesting to see other's takes on things you thought had only one answer. I've been of the mind that 4OPs USA cards are rare enough (especially Early) that I've been playing this card for OPs without a second thought. If the card recycles back into the USSR's hand, at least I still get something out of it. I can't see playing this for the event as the USA, unless maybe headlining for an Asia score. Conversely, I never sweat playing this as the USSR, but just enjoy my 4OPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Chace
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes.

If the US places influence in Japan without using the event, then when the USSR does play it to trigger the event you really don't get anything at all. Sure no coups or realignments in Japan but that pales in comparison to allowing the USSR to use a 4 ops event, IMO.

If the US already controls Japan then the event is really not very useful anymore in most circunstances. Except that it's valuable to the USSR because they can hand the card to the US when the US plays Missle Envy and have a good laugh.

If the USSR player has this card and space races it then the US may have to place 3 influence in Japan on their own (or if they don't the US is playing down 1 battleground in Asia which is great for the USSR). So the US is now paying 3 ops for something they would have otherwise got for free. Not a bad deal for the USSR.

So for the US, if you get this card early I think it may be worth playing for the event just to get it out of the deck and get the Japan situation resolved. Certainly if you are in a Red Scare then playing it for the event is an easy decision (after Blockade considerations of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its also allowing you to use a 4 Ops event. Its a deckweighting issue- the more cards in the deck the less chance of drawing any given card in a given turn. In turns 1 and 2 its generally best to keep your own starred events in the deck and get rid of your opponents so as to get good chances on turn 3. After that the balance changes a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.