Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
I haven't played this one yet but I plan to do it very, very soon. Should I worry about its quality? Why is it so underrated?

I understand that GMT fans always want something more hardcore than this euro labeled game but other than that is there any serious problem?

Have a great year you all,
Paulo

edit: does it work with two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is 7.1 under-rated? It seems a perfectly acceptable average rating to me.

If you look at the comments it appears one of the ratings (at least) is an anti-shill rating. There are a few outright critical comments and some critical remarks in overall quite positive comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
andyl wrote:

Yes it is. With only 60 rates I think it's not a very successfull start. Either way I prefer to wait someone else's opinion. Something more about the game rather than something about my opinion about what is a under-rated game... thanks anyway.

Paulo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and no. Getting to know some of the Portugese clubs styles through Geek of the Week, I wouldn’t think it would be popular with some of the Portuguese members. If played as an economic game it is very simple without much tension and difficult decisions (AOS, Power Grid etc are better). Played more aggressively it is a very good game. As an economic game it seems like the rich do get richer and score more VP. The alternative is to take cards or attack them. If you enjoy/can handle attacking and sacking each others villages without getting upset it is fun, otherwise it is a race game to the number of VP, and there's little you can do if you have bad positions since you can only get one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hunt
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well 60 ratings out of 187 listed owners seems to be about right. Most games are lucky if a third of the listed owners get around to entering a rating. I found it to be a solid game that scratched my Civ itch. If you get a chance to play it I encourage it so you can make your own evaluation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy literally arrived about 2 minutes ago.

There was a very loud knock on the door and a pretty late, but very welcome post man and van - just after 4.00pm here. I don't get many parcels that late.

I look forward to playing but it's in a queue with about 4 other Christmas games I'm also desperate to play - Chang Cheng, Giganten der Luft, Patrician, Aladdin's Dragons (which I piked up second hand). Which will get played first depends partly on what my groups want to play.

I think I'll enjoy it a lot, though and I will be playing it aggressively, I reckon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Of course, why one needs to rely on the opinions of others - except perhaps when they are succinctly definitive one way or t'other, which they rarely are . . . after all, there has to be someone who liked Pauly Shore - could be The Question here.

Just an observation.

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
after all, there has to be someone who liked Pauly Shore

No, there was NO ONE who liked Pauly Shore.

That being said, this game, like all others on the site, is rated as well or as poorly as the opinion of the raters. If they (in general) like it, they'll rate it highly, and the game gets a high average rating. If they don't, they won't, it won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soledade wrote:
andyl wrote:

Yes it is. With only 60 rates I think it's not a very successfull start. Either way I prefer to wait someone else's opinion. Something more about the game rather than something about my opinion about what is a under-rated game... thanks anyway.

Paulo

The question, then, is whether ratings become a self-fulfilling prophecy based on the first people to give a numeric opinion. Does an early 7 average, for example, encourage more people to rate a game at a 7 rather than below or above?

Waiting for substantive reviews, as you plan to do, is probably the better move. (Or, if the game is already on its way to you or a friend, ignoring the ratings meta-game and posting a session report to share your experiences may be the best choice.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found the comments to be far more valuable than the rating anyway. Even assuming we all use the BGG rating scale with perfect accuracy, a "6" or "7" game may very well be a game that I want to buy. A "6" (by the BGG guidelines) is "will play this if in the right mood" and I have a couple of games (Epic of the Peloponnesian War comes to mind) that I'm very glad to own - for exactly those times when I'm in that mood. Just because I don't want to play a given game all of the time doesn't mean it's not worth getting, especially once you've got (like many BGG'ers) so many games that you'll never really have time to play them enough anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should worry. Probably have several sleepless nights over it.

It is pretty good. It will get more ratings as it gets more plays. It is in the in between space, where it is neither strickly a wargame or euro. That makes it harder to classify for many people. I think all of the pieces work together to provide a pretty good experience and I think its rating will go up over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Thank you everybody for your comments. I don't intend to base my opinion in another player's opinion. I just want to understand what seems to be, by the first impressions, the big flaws of this game. It's not that I'm going to rate it a seven or less than that, it's just something that I like to know before playing the game.

My top #1 is Liberté which is, for me, the most underrated game at BGG and I don't follow other's opinion's because of that. I just want to understand why do people seem to penalize this game that much - assuming that a 7,1 is a bad rate for start.

Cheers and have a great year you all
Paulo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
Quote:
after all, there has to be someone who liked Pauly Shore

No, there was NO ONE who liked Pauly Shore.

That being said, this game, like all others on the site, is rated as well or as poorly as the opinion of the raters. If they (in general) like it, they'll rate it highly, and the game gets a high average rating. If they don't, they won't, it won't.

WHATEVER! I liked Son-in-Law and In the Army Now. So, Pauly Shore was OK (for a while).

Now, I'm not sure whether I should say I like this game or not...hmmm. OK, I did. It's a fun game. I liked it more than Pauly Shore!

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.