Popular Tags: gmt [+] customer_service [+] [View All]
Bill Morgal
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Experiencing senility daily since... I forget.
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa was very generous this year in our household and I received several boardgames, one of which was GMT's 'Paths of Glory'.

The boardgames for the entire family had first priority, so PoG was put aside for a bit since it was one just for me and not of interest to everyone like most of the others.

Sunday I got around to opening up PoG and checking it out. I have two other GMT games, 'Twilight Struggle' and 'Alesia', so I was not surprised at the very nice counters and instructions. Also incuded was several small plastic baggies for the counters and two player reference cards. The game also had two very nice decks of cards, one for the Central Powers and one for the Allies. Two dice were in the box, a very nice red colored one, and a very nice bone colored one, even though the game's contents according to the rule book should have only had one - I wasn't complaining, it was nice to get two.

Astute readers may notice that my description of what I received with the game is missing one major component. Yes, that's right. Missing in my game was the mapboard.

There was also one last thing that was also in the box. It was a small note with a red smiley face on it ensuring me that the game was personally hand packed and inspected to guarantee the completeness of the product. The note was also signed (I'm not saying by who because I don't want to get anyone in trouble). This now has me really worried. If GMT goes to such lengths to inspect their boxes, what are they going to think when I tell them my box was missing of all things the gameboard?!

Before you ask, the game was not bought used and it was still in its shrink wrap or whatever it is that the plastic covering is called. My wife purchased the game from Thoughthammer based off the wish-list I had there.

Anyway, I hopped on my computer and went to the GMT site. I have 'Pacific Typhoon' ordered from them and have their site bookmarked because of it. I started to leave an e-mail explaining what had happened, but saw an 800 number so I decided to call them. They were closed on Sunday but according to their recording, would be open for a little bit on New Year's Eve. I could have left a message, but decided to just wait till the next day.

Today I called the 800 number and got right through. No computer recordings, no wait, no voice mail, straight to a human being. I explained what happened telling the lady I reached that the game board was missing.

"The mapboard is missing?" was her reply. I could tell by her voice she was a little surprised. I assured her it was. She asked me if it was the regular map or the cardboard map or some such. I told her that as far as I knew, it should have just had the regular old mapboard, but it was missing. I heard her ask someone what should have been included in the game and she then told me that she would have the regular map sent out to me in today's mail. I was happily surprised. I was half expecting to need to send them the box with the unopened cards and unpunched counters in it or something.

I wanted to post this to let people know that GMT really cares about its customers. I am very appreciative and will definitly continue to buy their games because I know if there is anything wrong with them, they will fix it with no hassels. In today's often jaded world, that is really refreshing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I second the opinion regarding GMT's great customer service. They are very responsive and have excellent communication. A first class operation all the way.

2. I think I got your mapsheet. No kidding - I got a new copy of PoG last year, and it had two (2) identical mapsheets in it! I'm thinking about framing the second one and hanging it in the gameroom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT does have great customer service. They are really great about fixing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had a good response from GMT on a customer service issue as well. They sent me a missing card from CC:M within a week of my call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have excellent customer service. Though they rarely seem to respond to my emails

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely the best customer service of any game company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've recently used their live chat service to check on an order - this is a great idea for non USA residents. I add to the other comments here GMT have a fantastic attitude to customers and really do everything possible to sort things out when occasionally they go wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistakes can be made in collation--someone asking if you need more of this-or-that yet can be enough to break concentration when you're in the middle of a repititious or sequential task.

Sorry your play was delayed.

However, if anything like this happens with a GMT game--I have over thirty of them, never missing anything--I don't worry a bit because I know their office folks are top-notch and one phone call is all I'll need. I have to wait for the West Coast to wake up and get to the office, but they are invariably pleasant, courteous and prompt.

Recently at a con I took the opportunity to tell one of their staff people this. I hope word got back to the office folks. Just top-drawer all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Morgal
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Experiencing senility daily since... I forget.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2. I think I got your mapsheet. No kidding - I got a new copy of PoG last year, and it had two (2) identical mapsheets in it! I'm thinking about framing the second one and hanging it in the gameroom!

Quote:
Mistakes can be made in collation--someone asking if you need more of this-or-that yet can be enough to break concentration when you're in the middle of a repititious or sequential task.

Wow, that actually makes some sense of the entire thing. I couldn't get my head around how something as big and important as a board could be missing if somebody inspected each box.

I know this sounds silly, but I actually feel good about all this happening instead of upset because I think it's really neat finding out that there are still companies around that care that much about their customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT CS is outstanding. I bought For the People a while back and had had the map laminated. Well after relocating several times the map somehow got lost. I emailed them asking if they had any extras I could buy.

They did not respond to the email but a couple of weeks later a very thin, document sized cardboard envelpoe arrived in the mail. Can you guess what was inside, sent to me free of charge?

Go GMT Games! Top quality all around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must concur with the message here. GMT has excellent customer service. They have jumped through all of the proverbial hoops when I have had problems and in doing so have secured my business into the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myk Deans
United States
Rotonda West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had exactly the same experience - missing PoG mapboard. I immediately emailed them, and received not just a regular mapboard, but the deluxe version. Neat. I did not, however, receive a response to my email, which does lose them a few marks.

I've also used their on-line CS thingie, and it's very effective. However, it doesn't appear to be Mac compatible (although I've only tried it the once, so perhaps I just got a bad connection), which would lose them major marks.

Overall, very good CS. I've also had good service from Days of Wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More good feedback here.
I was missing a counter-sheet from EE. With one short phone call (without an annoying "tree") it was mailed out that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold a GMT game on ebay (too complex for me and my kids) and it was missing three counters. GMT mailed out replacements to the recipient immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Myrdin T Sasnak wrote:
There was also one last thing that was also in the box. It was a small note with a red smiley face on it ensuring me that the game was personally hand packed and inspected to guarantee the completeness of the product. The note was also signed (I'm not saying by who because I don't want to get anyone in trouble). This now has me really worried. If GMT goes to such lengths to inspect their boxes, what are they going to think when I tell them my box was missing of all things the gameboard?!

Out of four games I bought from GMT, two had a component missing.* Both had the note you mentioned and ironically both were undersigned by the same person, who obviously must have had a bad day.

However, after contacting GMT by e-mail and after reading the rulebook (which takes few days) the replacement arrived (free charge of course). And that even though I live in Germany and moreover one of those games was already out-of-print at that time (and is still today)!

EDIT: * I don't think this is standard for the company and rather merely blame my bad karma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree!! GMT has one of best customer service departments around. I live in South Africa and have often used the live chat facility on the new site to obtain shipping and game information.

I love the way the representatives are so friendly, understanding and most of all helpful and knowledgeable!

Thank you GMT for making my gaming experiences shine!
Here's looking forward to many years of gaming goodness with you!

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
Pathirtle wrote:
Putting the map in the box would have been better customer service.

Mistakes are always going to occur. How a company fixes those mistakes is the important thing and is what distinguishes GMT from many other companies.

I recently bought a copy of Wellington, but found that one of the shrink-wrapped sets of cards was bent and gouged down one side. I emailed GMT about it and they emailed me straight back asking for my address so they could send me a another set. Their customer service was top notch, the cards arrived quickly and I was a happy customer.

Keep up the good work GMT.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had good experience with GMT service as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT's Customer Service is among the best around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcdeans wrote:

I've also used their on-line CS thingie, and it's very effective. However, it doesn't appear to be Mac compatible (although I've only tried it the once, so perhaps I just got a bad connection), which would lose them major marks.

Not working on the Mac for me this evening either, but very helpful once I went and sorted out a PC to run it from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT has excellent customer sercive, their organizational skills are less good. Thats ok at least know you can contact them from overseas without a problem via their chat. They replaced my twilight struggle counters that I lost for free.
A big thumbs up from me to GMT and their vastly improved website (at least from the perspective that you can track your orders now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart glanvville
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i must concur with all said above, i opened my new copy of twilight struggle to find no counter sheet, after posting on the TS forum about unanswered emails to GMT someone told me about the live chat, got hold of someone there straightaway, and the missing sheet of counters were with me within a week - especially good service as it was the week before christmas as well!!!
whilst obviously i'd prefer my game whole at purchase, the fact they dealt with it so fast has ensured i'd happily buy again from them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Wagner
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered a copy of the 2nd edition Twilight Struggle cards and the 2nd edition Twilight Struggle countersheet.

The countersheet arrived without the cards. I had heard nothing from GMT Games. So I contacted customer support via the chat link. I was told the cards had run out by the time I had placed my order.

The person was nice but it would have been nicer to have been told up front about the cards...I would probably not have ordered the countersheet without the cards. It also looked like I would have not been credited for the cards that were not sent had I not contacted GMT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've gotten great service from Fantasy Flight Games. I had a miniature missing from BEOWULF THE MOVIE BOARDGAME. Emailed them and got the piece in the mail three days later. So GMT and Fantasy Flight have great customer service. Has anyone out there had to deal with companies that gave you a hard time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.