Subject: Multiple Order Markers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen McGarel
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
I find the use of multiple order markers on the same army card to be very distasteful and not perhaps very realistic (if realism has any meaning in heroscape)to an old simulation gamer like myself. I'm interested in people's thoughts on this rule. Does it play well? If an army card has multiple markers do you use your other units to attack that one to nulify the strategy?

Other games such as heroclix penalize using the same hero consecutively.

Do others employ house rules like penalizing a life for multiple order markers or perhaps requiring you to roll to activate multiple times?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Owen McGarel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised that HeroScape lets you use the same unit multiple times in a turn, but after watching it in action I don't think it unbalances the game. If one player puts multiple order markers on one unit, that just tends to cause the other player(s) to target that unit. I can say with sad certainty that having the guy on whom you stacked all your orders taken out in your opponent's first turn is not a recipe for success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a trade-off involved; although it might be more powerful to put all three order markers on one unit, you are (i) telegraphing your move to the opponent, and (ii) taking a gamble that the unit will still be alive to execute orders 2 & 3.

And in some armies - especially those with one really huge critter and not much else, or ones who are already down to their last unit - it's about the only choice that is viable.

But no, I've never found it to be unbalancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
If playing against someone who does this often, may I suggest the purchase of Sudema or Dund? Know your enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sarnecki
Australia
Melbourne (north)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a simple restriction of no more than two orders on one unit, thus penalising armies that get down to a single unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
In my opinion that's what really makes the game.
The upside with putting multiple markers on one army card is that you're pushing the issue with that card and possibly getting a lot of mileage out of that one card.
The downside is you're really telegraphing your intentions, and if that card gets eliminated you've wasted one or more order markers.
I wouldn't put any restrictions on order markers at all.
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The order markers add a small planning element, and a bit of bluff, for extremely small overhead.

The game is so simple, and plays so well, that I don't see the need to add house rules. It makes more sense to play the way everyone else does, and avoid all the rule negotiation when you encounter another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sarnecki
Australia
Melbourne (north)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
The order markers add a small planning element, and a bit of bluff, for extremely small overhead.

The game is so simple, and plays so well, that I don't see the need to add house rules. It makes more sense to play the way everyone else does, and avoid all the rule negotiation when you encounter another player.

It's not really a lot of negotiation to ask, "Do you want to restrict orders to two per unit?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But you're used to playing one way, and the other guy is used to playing another, so one of you has to make an accommodation. I'd rather just play by the rules and not have the question arise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.