Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Another Request: Rome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Ramey
msg tools
Ok, I have seen a couple of games dealing with ancient Rome and wondered what the consensus was for the better ones if I am looking to pick one out. I would like to stay with dice rolling and hex counter type games.

Let me throw out here that I have looked around on the board and in the search feature, I just wanted to have a little discussion before I shell out money. Also I would like to say I wanted to keep them all seperate - which is why there are a couple of posts like this I am looking at expanding my collection of wargames sense I am getting back into them and had forgotten just how much I love them! Thanks to everyone for the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ramey
msg tools
I am really unsure honestly. I saw one that I can't find on here now because I forgot the name and lost my favorites (laptop repair grr) that was not tactical but more operational or something, not sure what you would call it but it was all of greater Rome at its height. I would like that and I am sure I would like to fight cohorts or legions on a more tactical scale...

Sheesh that didn't help much did it? lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for a serious tactical game, SPQR is probably the most popular and has a huge number of battles available. Unfortunately, it's OOP right now, but it's due to be reprinted as SPQR (Deluxe Edition) "real soon now". I haven't heard anything from GMT as to when exactly that is, but it hit its P500 quite a while ago.

As for operational/strategic games, I'm not sure which you were thinking of, but I'm not all that well-versed in Roman stuff. It might have been The Rise of the Roman Republic (of which I believe Pat is quite an enthusiast, IIRC), but that's early Rome, not Rome at its height. For higher level strategic options, you've got Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, recently reprinted by Valley Games, depicting the Second Punic War. That's a fantastic game, especially given its short playing time and relatively light rules, but it sounds like you might want something a bit more detailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ramey
msg tools
THAT was the other one. Have you played it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
you've got Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, recently reprinted by Valley Games, depicting the Second Punic War. That's a fantastic game, especially given its short playing time and relatively light rules, but it sounds like you might want something a bit more detailed.

You cannot go wrong with this one, even if it´s not that detailed on the tactical level. And it´s a great first step into Card driven games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ramey
msg tools
that's one of the things I have wondered if I will like a card driven game... Any Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin132 wrote:
that's one of the things I have wondered if I will like a card driven game... Any Comments?

Why don't you try one and find out? Nobody on this forum is going to be able to predict what you will and will not like based on your ambiguous descriptions.

Go on . . . buy Hannibal and find out for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi christopher.
I've had a look at what you have said in other threads. It is hard for me to recommend games with out knowing your tastes. What I have guessed so far. You like OCS (DAK2), by the sounds of it and are interested in modern combat. Any other preferences?

Given that this is a shot in the dark, I'll make a few recommendations.

Roman Era:
Pax Romana: One of my favourite games, especially with four players. The full campaign is engrossing and fun to play. It is reasonably long , about 20 hours (3-4 sessions for us). It is at a strategic level and incorperates empire building. It has cards but is not card driven. A second edition is forth coming it may be worth waiting for it, it sounds pretty....

SPQR: I haven't played this, but I have played its sister games (the other great battle of history games). This provides a fun and interesting take on ancient era combat. There are lots of scenarios that cover most of the major battles, as well as plenty of expansions. For tactical level ancient combat I think it is the strongest system. DBA (a miniatures game is also popular at this scale, but I'm not a big fan).

Command and Colours: Ancients, a light wargame with a roman theme. It is fun enough, quick to play and good to play with people who don't normally like wargames. Some people regard this highly, it might be a light for you if you alreadly like OCS.

The Ancient World Series: I've read the rules, but don't own any. It looks good, especially carthage and is one my list to play.

Card Driven Games:
Ok - Lots of places to start in this genre.

Twilight Struggle: One of my two favourites, tense, gripping and infinitely replayable (at least for me). This game provides a great introduction to the longer CDGs and is a strong game in and of its own right. It took me 5-10 plays to really like it, but now it is my game of choice. This covers the cold war. The rules are pretty simple, playing time 2-3 hours for a full game, you can get this down to under 2 once you become experienced.

Paths of Glory: A classic CDG, probably the pinacle of CDG design, for me at least. It covers WW1, again gripping and tense, mastering the game requires a good strategic plan as well as excellent card play. There are a lot of options for different strategies in this game. It is long, it takes us about 7-8 hours, which can be done in a day, but you are usually pushing it.

Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage: Haven't played, the new edition looks excellent. Might want to take a look.

1960: The Making of an American President. This is probably the best introductory CDG, simple and pretty much a euro in my book. It combines intuitive rules, with slightly less depth to make a smoother easier game. Kind of the lite beer of CDGs. Having said that it is still a fantastic design and a good introduction to them. Again if you can play OCS, you don't need to start here, but it is a good place to go if you want to introduce others. Great components.

Also if you get time, fill out some of your profile or tell us more about what you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ramey
msg tools
I like having hex and counter games, and dice seem to agree with me. I don't honestly know what all to say other than the games that I have I really enjoy: Tunis and DAK2 (OCS rules), Silver Bayonet, Team Yankee, and MBT. I also have the free game Arnheim. I like games that allow for alot of cusomized scenarios and, if I can put this in right, I like games that both incorporate being able to see what would happen with different force structures and logistics and just straight tactical combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin132 wrote:
I like having hex and counter games, and dice seem to agree with me. I don't honestly know what all to say other than the games that I have I really enjoy: Tunis and DAK2 (OCS rules), Silver Bayonet, Team Yankee, and MBT. I also have the free game Arnheim.

I've only played the DAK2 from your list, but it gives me an idea.

Quote:

I like games that allow for alot of cusomized scenarios

Hmmmm most miniature games cater this quite well, although it feels wrong to recommend any, as I'm not a big fan of them mostly. I personally like http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/26365
WRG Moderns, force customization, different scenarios and some innovative rules. However it is only half a game as it has no real technical end. Also this isn't ancient era, but I thought I would list anyway.

Quote:

and, if I can put this in right, I like games that both incorporate being able to see what would happen with different force structures and logistics and just straight tactical combat.

Well the 4 big Roman Era games on this subject have been listed
Pax Romana
Sword of Rome
Hannibal
Ancient World Series

It does sound like you want a more operational look at the era. Imperium Romanum II is always an option, but I would be hesitant about stepping back in wargame design. While I'm sure the game is pretty good, I garuntee it will be harder at an entry level than most modern games.
Personally I would look at Carthage, from the ancient world series. sounds the closest to what your looking for. Otherwise check out SPQR. My personal favourite is Pax Romana, it is very fun too and great with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.