Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Suck it, Florida and Heisman committee!!! Also suck it, lame announcers. I think all color commentators are pod people.

Just kidding, Florida. You don't have to suck it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_165.html
The Straight Dope wrote:
Of course, when it comes to map errors, you can't overlook the possibility of a little good-natured sabotage. Monmonier mentions two prank towns appearing in an official map of Michigan, the edge of which showed portions of the neighboring state of Ohio. Some diehard Wolverine fan in the mapmaking department decided that would be a good place to put the nonexistent towns of "goblu" (Go Blue, get it?) and "beatosu," referring to the University of Michigan's traditional rival Ohio State. If you had to spend all day staring at squiggly lines and benday dots, you'd need some way to let off steam, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a truly weird game for me to watch. See, I grew up in Cleveland and spent the first 29 years of my life in Ohio. Although I attended the University of Cincinnati, my brother is a graduate of THE Ohio State University and I have always been a die-hard OSU fan.

Having lived in Florida for almost 14 years now, I am usually amused at the whole Florida - Florida State rabidness and could not care less about either team. But when Florida spanked OSU last year in the BCS game, I developed a deep dislike for most Gator fans and I now enjoy watching the Gators lose. Which means that I HAD to root for....ugh, I almost can't say it...the Wolverines. The pain was almost physical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed,
I figure that most Big Ten fans, regardless of their team, would pull for Big Blue against an SEC team, given the arrogant dismissiveness that is aimed northwards by their fans and accepted as valid by the sports media. For the record, the record of Big Ten teams -vs- SEC teams is 8-8 over the last five years. All-time, the SEC has a .582 winning percentage.

I almost pulled for OSU earlier this season, in the penultimate game. I wanted Michigan to face an unbeaten OSU team to enhance our ranking if we won. In the end, I could not do it. I don't know what to do about the championship game this year, either. OSU on one hand, SEC's LSU with Les Miles on the other. Last season, I just didn't watch, since I hated both OSU and Florida equally.

Anyway, congratulations on your team making it back to the championship game. I do admire Jim Tressel and the way he's managed that team.

And the final word about the Michigan-Florida game -- it was, of course, really nice to see Lloyd go out with a win. It was even nicer that it was such an entertaining game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Having lived in Florida for almost 14 years now, I am usually amused at the whole Florida - Florida State rabidness and could not care less about either team. But when Florida spanked OSU last year in the BCS game, I developed a deep dislike for most Gator fans and I now enjoy watching the Gators lose. Which means that I HAD to root for....ugh, I almost can't say it...the Wolverines. The pain was almost physical.

I experienced this pain as well. I just kept telling myself, "I'm rooting for the Big Ten...I'm rooting for the Big Ten." I tried not to pay attention to the colors of their uniform.

But...cough cough...it was probably a nice way for Lloyd Carr to go out. As long as the the Buckeyes win on Monday, I guess I can be okay with that...state...beating an SEC team, since the Big Ten seemingly has trouble on the whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.