Subject: Close finish rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
I played this over the holidays with my wife's family. Five players, wife, me, brother in law, neice and nephew. Only B-in-L hadn't played before.

The opening Op Cards gave a number of potentially beneficial openings: 2 service bounties, the Atlanta-Richmond major line, and the Toledo-Baltimore and NY-Chicago lines.

B-in-L bid to go first and went with a service bounty near Chicago, Neice went for the Toledo Baltimore, Nephew went with Atlanta-Richmond, Wife for the second service bounty near Charleston, leaving me with no obvious Op Card to aim at but a free hand in the NE so I built NY to Baltimore and upgraded my train.

Neice and Nephew finished the first turn in the lead having completed their lines, I was dead last with no income.

Second turn saw Neice rocket into the lead as she completed the Chicago NY line. No one tried to block her into NY so she was fortunate. Nephew quietly delivered and upgraded, I went for the Speed Record - using Neice's line over the Appalachians. B-in-L stalled somewhat and my Wife got boxed in a bit in the SE. End of the turn saw most of us around six to ten points with the neice way out in front on 16 but with most shares issued.

As the game progressed B-in-L got more and more bogged down and dropped back rapidly. I expanded my network rapidly in the NE (though cube distribution wasn't great) and got the level 4 train bonus on turn 3. Neice took advantage of the six link track she had and rapidly upgraded and delivered. Wife slowly got a SE network working but faced competition from Nephew, who also competed with Neice who competed with me for cubes.

By the end game we all (except B-in-L) had our networks humming with level 6 trains and six point deliveries. Unforunately for Neice she started running out of cubes before the empty city markers had gone. Some smart Urbanising allowed me to continue making deliveries and the Nephew made a good link across the Appalachians to unleash five six point purple deliveries. By the end it was neck and neck between Nephew and me, I would just edge it on the money tie breaker (we weren't playing the the tycoons as it was B-in-L's first game and everyone else was a little rusty). Unfortunately my Wife took city growth and added two cubes to a city she shared with Nephew. It gave her six points but also gave a potential delivery to Nephew that would win him the game. He would have to see it though as it required the use of my track. I generously pointed out that he had a way of winning without informing him where. My Wife 'kindly' pointed out exactly where with victoy by one point to Nephew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. I always enjoy how the wives like to ruin the husbands win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bim-Merle
United States
Trail Creek
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What an Awesome session! It really was close.thumbsup

One Question: How did your Neice Connect Chicago to NY in Two Turns? That's Amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
She was lucky no one else built out of NY except me. First turn she drew shares and built Baltimore-Pittsburgh-Cleveland-Toledo which cost $30K and therefore six shares. At the end of the turn she was on six points (for the major line) and received $2K income ($8-6).

Second turn she built NY-Philadelphia-Baltimore, and Toledo-Chicago. This cost her another $16K (as she had to use two hex links as I had taken the single hex links in the first turn) requiring another three shares to put her on nine shares and sixteen points with an income of $9K at the end of turn 2. Not too shabby for her second game ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.