Popular Tags: [View All]
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all - I'm getting a friend and his 12YO daughter sucked into our world, and need some advice. He likes Go and has played it for several years. They are just starting to discover that there are games out there beyond the classics - she like Settlers, and they have recently become big Carcassonne fans. I haven't tried anything heavy with them yet, although I think they could handle it, she smoked me at her first play of Oasis and by the second half of the game was pointing out flaws in everyone's strategy, so she's obviously bright enough for harder games!! The mom sadly is not as fond of games and so while she WILL play with them sometimes, mostly they are on their own.

Given that info, which game from the GIPF project would you suggest? Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think any of them would really get the brain of Go player firing on all cylinders. However, of the 3 I've played I like Yinsh the best. Gipf(the fist one) is probably the deepest of them-I've not played it though- but I think they are all sufficiently brain burning to hook him.

You might also consider Through the Desert-it's still abstract but takes a strong step in the direction of euro because of the scoring and the bits. I'd imagine most Go players would get a kick out of that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question! I like Go myself, and have the entire GIPF project set, minus TZAAR at the moment. My first thought was DVONN, but after a bit of reviewing I think it should be YINSH. In a sense, YINSH is about creating territory as well, and as such comes closest to Go. Thus, I think YINSH is the one to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's a Go player and likes the capturing of pieces then I would suggest either ZÈRTZ, or TZAAR. Both area lot of fun and sure to appeal to him and his daughter.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend Yinsh. I can't exactly explain why, but it just feels right to me as someone who has played both Go and Yinsh. I actually like Zertz also, but I think Yinsh is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be a minority here, but I'm a passionate go player and I've been disappointed with the only GIPF title I own, namely ZERTZ.

Why? Not because it's a bad game precisely, but rather because it's very abstract, and it's not go.

I play lots of games, but if I really want to play a deep, abstract game, there's no better game out there than go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Yinsh, since it seems to have the most depth (in my opinion), although I haven't played Tzaar.

That said, I think Go is a "bigger" game than any of the Gipf series. One of the hallmarks of the Gipf games is that they are finite and most have internal clocks to move the game along. Go seems more open-ended in that way than Gipf games.

My knee-jerk was to suggest Dvonn, but I think the similarities are superficial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! I passed them along, they took my email to the game store and they finally bought ------ Carcassonne Builders & Traders!

I guess that just goes to show something, but I'm not sure what
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
I would also recommend Yinsh. I can't exactly explain why, but it just feels right to me as someone who has played both Go and Yinsh. I actually like Zertz also, but I think Yinsh is the way to go.

"...Yinsh is the way to go" hardy har har pun intended?
zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! I passed them along, they took my email to the game store and they finally bought ------ Carcassonne Builders & Traders!

I guess that just goes to show something, but I'm not sure what

One was cheaper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.