Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a review of the game, it's more of a confession of my surprise at liking this game.

OK, let's get a few things out the way here shall we? My favortie games to hit the table with my gaming group are:
1) Twilight Imperium with the Shattered Empires expansion
2) A Game of Thrones
3) Settlers of Catan.

For those who don't know it, Twilight Imperium is a deep, complex game that usually requires 6 hours or so to play.

A Game of Thrones is a boardgame that involves very little luck and is almost entirely strategy. Usually in the two hour range or so.

Settlers of Catan, well if you need an explanation of Settlers...ummm well you need to runout and try it. And while you are doing that, do yourself a favor and pick up Portobello Market. You will not regret it.

You can imagine my surprise when I found myself really enjoying this game. I mean REALLY enjoying it. As the market stalls were getting used up and the bag'o'customers was dwindling I found my heartbeat speeding up. No! NO! You can't put your markeet stall there, it's mine MINE!

I think I can add a new game to my favorites list: Portobello Market.

My g/f and I played this game yesterday along with Carcassone. Up until now she has always been the Game of Life, Cranium or Payday type of boardgamer. Now she is interested in the 'other' boardgames too and I can thank Portobello Market for that! Sure she liked Carcassone as well, but not nearly as much as Portobello Market.

It's quick, strategic, and competitive. Dare I say that given about an hour to play, I would prefer this over other quick likeables such as: Citadels, Munchkin, Ticket to Ride and (GASP!) even Settlers of Catan.

There's only one problem...How can I introduce this game to my serious gaming group in a way that they will want to play it? I know they are going to look at it and pass it up (like I almost did!). they won't understand how fun and competitive or strategic it is...

Woe is me...

I think my best chance is towards the end of the night when time is starting to run out...(hey guys, it's almost the end of the night but we have time for a quick game of Portobello Market).

Suggestions??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Devon,

First of all, nice user name. Secondly, I love this game too. Its quite a bit of fun. Its also very light which may make your group against playing it. My recommendation is to add 4 stalls to each color if playing with 4. It tightens up the board and adds one more turn which can really change the outcome of the game. When I teach people the game, I always tell them "You can't stop people from scoring points, but you can minimize how many they score, just like basketball."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I loved the game, and managed to get about 12 plays with various people, but eventually I ran out of new people to play it with and nobody who'd played it seemed interested enough to play it again.

My only advice would be to enjoy the games with your girlfriend and don't worry about whether or not you can get to play it with your other gaming friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I know for sure that in addition to my g/f, that my Family will like this game.

I bought it at my local gameshop without even having heard of it before. Usually I'm pretty hesitant to do this, but for some reason I just did. Am I ever happy too. I think it's an absolutely wonderful game with much more depth than I expected. I sat on it for more than a while before even breaking it out of the shrink wrap.

There is definetly some good timing and strategy involved.

While I'm not going to force the game down anyone's throat, I find it too bad that my gaming group will likely dismiss it b/c of the subject matter.

Sigh, I will definetly keep this post going to let everyone know how much luck I did or did not have on trying to get this to the table with my hardcore gaming group. It's kinda like a challenge now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear all this enthusiasm; I wonder why it has only a 6.8 rating on the Geek (not that that's awful, but it's not outstanding).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I guess most games have some people who love it, some that hate it, and most that are so-so; the overall rating just reflects the ratio of these opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More than anything this game just far exceeded my expectations. I'm guessing that it would for most if they gave it a chance. I know I've sure played (and bought cry ) some stinkers.

Portobello Market is not one of those games. Expecially when you consider the decent price you can get it for. It's too bad more people aren't giving this one a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wylde_karde wrote:
More than anything this game just far exceeded my expectations. I'm guessing that it would for most if they gave it a chance. I know I've sure played (and bought cry ) some stinkers.

Portobello Market is not one of those games. Expecially when you consider the decent price you can get it for. It's too bad more people aren't giving this one a chance.

/signed. It was definetely the biggest pleasant surprise of 2007 for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this for xmas and i love it. My wife and i have played it non stop. I like the very simple rules, complex tactics and it's over in 20 - 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it. I got the chance to play it a couple more times this week. It truly is an excellent game. I have not had the opportunity to try it with four players, but am eagerly awaiting the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.