Subject: Wii --> DS downloads upcoming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Nintendo folks out there, this from Shacknews (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50556)

Quote:
Nintendo Plans DS Game Downloads Through Wii
by Chris Faylor Jan 02, 2008 10:49am CST
Nintendo DS owners will eventually be able to acquire both demos and whole games from the Wii, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime informed The New York Times.

The games and demos will presumably be downloaded through the online Wii Shop Channel and then transferred to the portable via the wireless capabilities of both systems.

Though word of downloadable demos comes as little surprise--DS Download Stations located at retailers already allow such functionality and Nintendo previously announced it would come to the Wii someday--the inclusion of full games is a bit more surprising.

It is unknown if that full games bit refers to digitally distributed versions of existing games, compatibility with downloaded Wii Virtual Console titles, or WiiWare software specifically designed for the portable.

At present, the Nintendo DS can only hold one demo at a time in its internal memory. Once downloaded, users cannot power off the system or run any other software without losing the demo.

It is possible Nintendo may release some type of storage device for the system--a blank DS card, a blank Game Boy Advance cartridge--to increase this capacity at a later date. Some Nintendo DS games, such as Jupiter's already-released Picross and Level-5's upcoming Professor Layton and the Curious Village, already allow owners to hop online with the portable and download new content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd love to see DS-Wii hookups like Gamecube had with the Advance. Is that possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why would you be downloading to Wii first instead of to the DS directly ?
Back to the PS3/PSP store for me..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross_ wrote:
Why would you be downloading to Wii first instead of to the DS directly ?
Back to the PS3/PSP store for me..

To reach more people. People are lazy and would rather shop from home these days rather than go to a store and wait to download.

I know they did some DS to Wii stuff with Pokemon Battle Revolution so it is possible. I'm not sure how sucessfull it was as many people didn't like Battle Revolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
I'd love to see DS-Wii hookups like Gamecube had with the Advance. Is that possible?
I don't see why not, they both use similar wireless setups (and there's that mystery port next to the headphone jack), and frankly I'm surprised that the Wii system didn't ship with some sort of interoperability with the DS from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
To reach more people. People are lazy and would rather shop from home these days rather than go to a store and wait to download.
I thought the DS has 802.11b ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross_ wrote:
Rappak wrote:
I thought the DS has 802.11b ?

Uh... I was talking about people physically going to stores to buy downloads and such. I'm not sure what you are talking about.

kdiddy13 wrote:
I don't see why not, they both use similar wireless setups (and there's that mystery port next to the headphone jack), and frankly I'm surprised that the Wii system didn't ship with some sort of interoperability with the DS from the start.

It already does. See my answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The DS has wireless capabilities, but AFAIK it doesn't get firmware updates like the PSP does. It's kind of hard to do a store directly without a memory cartridge and no firmware changes. It makes good sense when you consider Nintendo didn't want a media delivery platform, but an actual portable console.

The Wii has both of those features, so they can use the Wii itself to store the DS games you download and to act as a portal for the DS.

What we all wonder is how is Nintendo going to continue adding downloadable content to the Wii without making SD cards a first class citizen, and accessible by all apps just like the built in flash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
Uh... I was talking about people physically going to stores to buy downloads and such. I'm not sure what you are talking about.
That's the part I don't understand why would you have to go to a store to download something? If you can download it directly to your Wii, why can't you download it directly to your DS ? Why would you have to go via Wii or via a store?
I did some GBA programming and know the details of that device, but I have no idea about the DS' technical specs that's why I am confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's assume it all has something to do with bandwidth. Even if it doesn't, it will sound reasonably informed. Say it with me: "Bandwidth." Ahhh...there's nothing like technobabble to make you long for life on a desert island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross_ wrote:
Rappak wrote:
That's the part I don't understand why would you have to go to a store to download something? If you can download it directly to your Wii, why can't you download it directly to your DS ? Why would you have to go via Wii or via a store?
I did some GBA programming and know the details of that device, but I have no idea about the DS' technical specs that's why I am confused.

The Wii is a hub. The store also has a hub. The DS does not have a hub to download and store information. It has a very very limited memory space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that makes no sense whatsoever. If you can download something to the Wii and subsequently download it to the DS, "memory space" really can't play into it. Since the DS can connect to the internet rather easily via wireless technology, it should, by all accounts, be able to download directly from such a connection. Let's just assume that Nintendo wants you to go to a store, unless you've already shown your extreme loyalty by fighting the huge lines to get a Wii. In the latter case they are willing to forego your trip to the store because they already know you're a patsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you downloading to when you download to a DS? Can you DL onto flash memory cards?

MisterCranky wrote:
Well that makes no sense whatsoever. If you can download something to the Wii and subsequently download it to the DS, "memory space" really can't play into it. Since the DS can connect to the internet rather easily via wireless technology, it should, by all accounts, be able to download directly from such a connection. Let's just assume that Nintendo wants you to go to a store, unless you've already shown your extreme loyalty by fighting the huge lines to get a Wii. In the latter case they are willing to forego your trip to the store because they already know you're a patsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
What are you downloading to when you download to a DS? Can you DL onto flash memory cards?

MisterCranky wrote:

EZ flash is what you are looking for. People download games with the SD memory cards and play rom versions already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only issue is how the downloads get "pushed." Your DS has all the memory it needs to store 802.11b essentials like SSID, WEP key, etc. What it doesn't have (and this may or may not be down to capacity) is a meaningful way to manipulate those values using the onboard administration software. This is why all the net-enabled cartridges contain routines for administering your wireless connections.

You can change your birthday, you can change your startup preferences, you can even push a touch screen "button" and ask your DS if it finds any software to download (for which you need to be near a hot spot or another DS that's transmitting using Nintendo's protocol, whatever that may be.) What you can't do is push a touch-screen button that essentially says "establish a connection to such and such IP address and download some software." There's nothing difficult about writing bare bones routines to perform such actions, but apparently the miniscule memory of the DS is reserved for asking you what color you'd prefer for the admininstration menus, etc. There's nothing immediately obvious about the hot spot polling routine already onboard to imply that you couldn't have it query on a particular IP address instead. Undoubtedly a cartridge and its expanded capacity would be needed to administer changes to such an IP address, though.

It's eminently more practical, however, to implement things as they did, since the device was never designed to be a fully-featured PDA, and my comments about getting you to a store or helping to drive the sales of their consoles were only half-facetious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.