Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi together,
I'd like to share some of my experiences with the Terran units and the resolving tactics with you.

Marine
The Marine is a highly capable unit. He has a splash damage card from the beginning of the game, and several tech-combat-cards are likely to be used with him though not originally intended: the Yamato-Cannon as a reversed Stim-Pack (4/7) and the Siege Mode (6/6), both worth more than most Marine cards. The Stim Packs add a significant ammount of damage (7/3 and 7/4) and the bunker add health in masses (especially combined with Bunkers and science vessels with Defense Matrix, allowing to reach a health value of 11!). So Marines are, additionally to their masses, a highly capable unit that can attack nearly everything. They are literally the backbone of any Terran force in defense and attack, and the only thing really dangerous to them is splash damage.

Firebat
The Firebat is slightly more capable than a marine, especially because of the second splash damage card he shares with the vulture. Firebats are expensive, though, they need the first upgrade of the barracks and one gas more than the marine, and are limited on ground attacks. One should always have one in reserve, though, because of some cards and because they are immune to the Dark Swarm ability of the Defiler.

Ghost
The combat values of the Ghost are fairly poor (5/5 in average), and they are really expensive (2 gas and two upgrades of the barracks needed!). Additionaly, you need certain techs to use them properly. If you have them, though, the Ghosts can be highly capable. Their problem is that they aren't assist-units, making it easy for your enemy to destroy them. For that, it is highly important to research Cloaking and always have one at hand. For purposes of using Nukes it is a need, too, because the Ghost with Nuke only has a health value of 6 and needs to survive, and 6 can be cracked by nearly every enemy unit. The Lockdown is very useful versus Protoss, but useless vs. Zerg. If you are in doubt to go for Ghosts or another tech and don't have the resources for both, I recommend to ignore the Ghosts because of their immense cost.

Vulture
The Vulture is one of the most underestimated units in the game in my eyes. They have fairly high combat and health values and many cards. Their costs in minerals are relatively high (2 each, plus 2 for the factory I), but they're worth the price. At least one should be in every base. It is important, too, to have the Spider Mines. The give them tremendous attack and health values (7/7 and 8/7) and, at least, Splash damage vs. ground units. I ripped apart some Zerg armies with a little help of these guys, especially because you can easily kill Hydralisks with them and don't need to pair them vs. lings, what you can leave up to your splash-card-infantry. Wohoooo! Just stay away from enemy flyers. Another threat to them is being assigned as support unit; some bastard of a Protoss once attacked a vulture, a marine and a wraith one time with a reaver and a scout, pairing the reaver vs. the Marine and killing the vulture riskless this way.

Goliath
Here we come to the point of the factory track. I cannot give council to anyone to buy Goliaths. They share one of their cards with the vulture (where it is really better played), one with the siege tank and two with the wraith. They cost as much as the wraiths, but need to upgrades instead of one to get, plus they cannot fly. You will seldom get siege tanks, so this card is the only one you can use free and not for other units. We see the Goliath can do nothing what the wraith couldn’t do in the same way or better, plus the wraith has cloaking. Buy Goliaths if every wraith is on the field and you don’t know where to put the damn resources, but not sooner.

Siege tanks
Siege tanks look nice. They always are put in the reserve of your units and never appear in any battle. Why? Because they are ridiculously hard to get. They cost just one mineral less than the battlecruiser (the number of upgrades is the same), need a additional tech as the cruisers (siege mode) and can only attack ground units. The only reason why anyone could try to get them is the ground splash, but if you play properly, you get so plenty of them that you don’t need to worry about tanks. They look pretty at the side of the table. Leave them there.

Wraiths
Here comes the Wraith, one of the best air units in the game. Why? Because it’s cheap and one can lay his greedy hands on it in turn 1 without any problem. The wraith is a flyer, can learn cloaking with small effort (since you don’t really need it), and makes appropriate damage and health values (average 7/7). Plus, it shares combat cards with the battle cruiser, making it really tough and much better than the Goliath. The Zerg need to have to upgrades to come up with their Mutas, and the Protoss pay one gas more, which is rare and precious. Putting into account that a duel Wraith vs. Scout will usually end with both units destroyed, it’s a good deal for the Terran. Have Wraiths.

Science Vessels
One should not imagine, but the Science Vessel is one of the core units a terran player must have. Without techs, it isn’t worth a shit, but the two gas are really good paid in this ship. Fighting the Protoss, you can count on the power of EMP, granting a +1 attack in the skirmish and a +3 vs. Archons, who loose much of their might over it. That the enemys reinforcement card is cancelled is also really intriguing. Versus Zerg, you get irradiate and kill EVERY Zerg unit for free via splash damage for which you needn’t kill a single Zergling. Plus, it grants a +1 attack. What do you want more? A must is, too, the Defense Matrix. Even with no appropriate reinforcement card at hand, the science vessel will add +1 health to the skirmish it is assigned to. Really worth the debt.

Battle Cruiser
Yes, they are really powerful. Yes, they rip apart nearly every enemy. Yes, they are worth every resource you put in them. And here comes the “but”. In every game I got battle cruisers, I lost. Why? Because once I built cruisers, I built little else. And the enemy usually overwhelmed me because I hadn’t the mass to cope with him. One should think twice and thrice before he gets them. You need to have a pause, a moment of breath keeping where no one wants to attack you. If you have that luxus, give yourself another one and buy a cruiser. But be aware! Cruisers are not that big without the Yamato cannon. You need this upgrades to use them properly, plus assigned science vessels with defense matrix, plus the repair reinforcement card. You will loose much if your battlecruisers don’t survive the skirmish, especially vs. Zerg. Be aware and always retreat them! Never let the Cruisers be attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention that the Terrans have the most different units of all three races. I'd prefer an army of Marines and Wraiths (Backbone), supported by a science vessel, a Firebat, a Vulture. With that combination, you cover nearly every combat card you can get (with the one exception of the siege tank/cruiser cards and the siege tank/Goliath cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Siege Tank
I built siege tanks with mode in my first game and was satisfied with them as an alternative to the Battle Cruiser. While its true that they sit on the ground, they are not fragile (8 health), and they splash. Thus they chew foes about twice as fast as the Battle Cruiser.

The trick is to always attack with them first. You go in and pair off against a Zealot, detonating him and another unit. Then, on the counter attack, you get wiped out, but if they have anything short of a carrier, you'll probably execute two more hostiles. In the end you've killed four hostiles for your four resource tank. That's in the Terran's favor, since four units eat up lots more build limit than a single tank.

Honestly, how often do Battle Cruisers really kill four hostiles before dying? Not that often, in my experience.

Ghost
How many games have you used the ghost? I haven't tried them yet, but there was sure a game I needed the little beggars...lots of big-ticket Protoss, breathing down my neck. I didn't need the Science Vessel - after all +1 health is not much different from +1 attack, and EMP shockwave, though nice, is only used twice per shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the Ghosts once, and they got killed.

What you say about the tank may be true, since I can agree to your analysis of the life cycle of a battle cruiser. But still, Starport II is a must for getting the lifesaving science vessels. Factory II is no must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lockdown is one of the best techs there is vs terran and protoss, but ghosts are pretty useless apart from that. I've never actually built them, as I can never justify their two-gas cost and the barracks upgrade cost. If either was cheaper, I might go for them, but as is they seem too expensive.

I have used Mengsk's starting ghost to great effect, using lockdown to hold some key territories against the protoss on more than one occasion. Seeing as you only get two lockdown cards in the deck though, I'm not sure having more ghosts would be more effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this starting guy was killed before he could do something useful after I secured him the whole match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Everyone discounts Nuke. Sure, it looks weak, until its pointing right at you. Then things get complicated. Do you try to take that terran base, even though the ghost might have bunker & nuke? Did you bring a detector, because cloak & nuke can be worse still. Even if you can counter all that, the terran doesn't have to play the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you're right with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petras Ražanskas
Lithuania
Kaunas
Kauno apskritis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
sOMEONE NEED TO WRITE A NUKE STATEGY GUIDE, CAUSE I DONT GET WHY I'D BOTHER WITH THEM AT ALL. fAR TOO WEAK.

Opps, capslock.

I imagine something like "Say 'NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED' in a robotic voice. If the skirmish opponent doesn't have Sufficient Strength, destroy all units in the battle. Destroy the base in the battle area if possible. Destroy all workers in the battle area if any. Cloaking units cannot use that special ability." at twice a cost would be more to your liking, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Er...no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
We see the Goliath can do nothing what the wraith couldn’t do in the same way or better, plus the wraith has cloaking.

Goliath is stronger than Wraith 1vs1 vs most of units in the game. Scourge can kill Wraith easily, but its harder to take down Goliath with cheap unit (you need more mass per Goliath). And Air Defence module tips the scale a bit further for Goliath.

However I agree that Wraith is more usable. Main reason is that Goliath's main enemies are not usually built (Scouts, Carriers, Guardians) or are on your side (Wraith, Battlecruiser).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all about the price and needed orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petras Ražanskas
Lithuania
Kaunas
Kauno apskritis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith is averagely 6.5G-6.75A / 7.25 and has cloaking.
Goliath is averagely 6.5G-7.5A / 7.25.

You do the math, which one to choose against flying enemy. The only advantage of Wraiths is that they are a step towards Science Vessels, which are useful, and Goliath is a step towards Siege Tanks, which aren't that great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.