Popular Tags: [View All]
Ashton Sanders
United States
Polson
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has very simple rules.

There was a murder at the mansion, and you need to find out who. Each turn you make a suggestion until you find out enough information to make an accusation and figure out what is inside the little confidential envelope.

The simple rules make it a great icebreaker as well as great for young kids.

This game has very complicated strategies.

But this game can be a very complicated game that requires a lot of thinking. You need to make sure you are getting the biggest bang for you buck for every suggestion. You want to see who has what cards, and who doesn't have what cards.

My personal favorite tactic is to suggest two things that you have in your hand. So you are actually only asking about one item. This does two things: It helps you to focus on any one group of possibilities (rooms, weapons or suspects) and pressures people to think you have figured it out when everyone says "I don't have it."

If you don't think this game requires much thinking, let me give you this example:

An opponent suggested "Mrs. Peacock in the Billiard Room with the Wrench" and my wife showed him a card. The next player suggested "Mrs. Peacock in the Billiard Room with the Pipe" and my wife didn't have any of them. If you were paying attention, you would know that my wife has the Wrench even though she didn't reveal it.

The complex/endless strategies and things to look for make this a great game for adults and Board Game Geeks.

On a personal note, this is a fairly dull game with not a lot of action. This is why this isn't one of my favorite games, but no matter which way you look at it, Clue is a great game to have around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashton wrote:
An opponent suggested "Mrs. Peacock in the Billiard Room with the Wrench" and my wife showed him a card. The next player suggested "Mrs. Peacock in the Billiard Room with the Pipe" and my wife didn't have any of them. If you were paying attention, you would know that my wife has the Wrench even though she didn't reveal it.

Nice review, but I have a question: what if you know for sure that all of the other players are aware of this information? That is, they all have good record-keeping systems, such that the two suggestions don't even have to be in consecutive turns, but could be half an hour apart! Any good Clue player will have a system which will enable him/her to know this kind of stuff. So how do you gain a strategic advantage beyond the basic record-keeping? That's the real skill in Clue, and why it is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.