Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, the not very original and surely proposed by others already idea of using clock-face numbers for directions instead of letter combos: A->12, A/B->1, etc.. (I wonder if that was what was done in the air combat game these angular partitions are borrowed from?) Second, in imitation of the nautical North-North-East, etc., combine the number with Up or Down, with the larger "majority" component first, hence, Up & 2 is 30 degrees off the Up axis in the 2-O'Clock direction (or equivalently, 60 degrees up from 2 O'Clock), while 2 & Up is 30 degrees Up from 2-O'Clock.

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Burnside
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The air games all use 000 to 330 directional bearings for 12 point facings; the hex maps have the directional bearings they use printed on them outside the A-F rosette.

We use A-F becuase it's less confusing to write a vector out as 7F/3E/2+. The numbers are visually distinct from the directional system. Air games can break things down to movement points; we really can't.

We use +/++/+++ to indicate bearings above, because once you're doing spherical coordinate systems, phi and theta are natural consequences of them. Telling people they're using phi and theta tends to make eyes glaze over...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGamer wrote:
We use A-F because it's less confusing to write a vector out as 7F/3E/2+.

When is it necessary to write down a vector in AVT? Edit -- as I only have the Tutorial I hadn't seen the rule that needs relative velocities but just saw it in a review. Anyway, "7 in/at 10 (O'Clock) (direction/AVID box) + 3 at 8 (O'Clock) + 2 at Z" is a bit less compact but equally clear, especially as clock directions are much more intuitive (at least to people over 35!)

And why not A-L so each direction has its own letter anyway? There's nothing special about the "cardinal" hex directions (aside from their being a good basis set for designating vectors, which we do a lot less than taking bearings or recording attitudes, where we have to remember "E/F" instead of just "9").

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
johngorno wrote:
And why not A-L so each direction has its own letter anyway?

You need to break things down to the 6 basic directions for the movement grid as the game is hex based. The other 6 directions are "virtual" and are approximated by the 6 cardinal directions.

So when you are moving 2 hexes in direction E/F, you are actually moving 1 hex in direction E and 1 hex in direction F.

The "+", "++", and "+++" notation is easy to use as their are 3 bands on the AVID that are above the plane. It is easier to just count the number of +'s to know which band you are pointing at.

Mike Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
The "+", "++", and "+++" notation is easy to use as their are 3 bands on the AVID that are above the plane. It is easier to just count the number of +'s to know which band you are pointing at.

Mike Z

I (politely) disagree. Besides, the 30-degree right triangle is the basis of the angular and vector partition: I think it would help people to understand that the "majority" is the long side of it -- "Up & 3" is mostly Up with some 3, while "3 & Up" is the reverse. I think the "scary math" basis vector terms are easier to grasp than the "friendly" versions that refer to angles up from the plane.

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
You are misunderstanding the several of the purposes of the notation. (I sense that you've read the tutorial but have not put together the bits and played through it--doing so would probably answer your questions for you.)

In any case, the purpose of the short hand is not, primarily, to help people get the idea that "D++" is more up than in D. The purpose is to quickly designate specific windows on the AVID for the purpose of examples. In those examples, the shorthand is very easy and quick to read.

You should also consider which form is easier to understand when someone is talking to you, as opposed to reading it.

In any case, having taught about 50 people the AV:T movement and orientation system (at convention demos, among other places), the short hand has not been a problem.

If you buy the game, it's yours to use any way that you want. If you want to use the system you described, by all means, do!

Just don't understand anyone else to understand you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.