Subject: where to find specific version of Careers NOT listed on BGG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the version with the following career loops, starting from payday going clockwise around:

medicine
conservationism (? IIRC)
college/education?
big business
teaching
*politics
*media/film industry
athletics/sports

*perhaps these 2 should be swapped

Can't contact the person who owned this copy, so it looks like I'm left to find out other ways. I do remember the vacation spot was just called Vacation, unemployment was called Job Hunt or Job Search, and the career loops were more "freehand" (like a cobblestone path in a garden) road and less gridlike (like following square tiles in a bathroom or kitchen)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: where to find specific version of Careers NOT listed on
You mean this one:
1971 board

It's lumped in with the earlier edition. Lumping and splitting is pretty arbitrary here, but if the publisher calls it by the same name and there's no serious difference, they will not get split. The 1955 edition is the original. The 1965 edition is the same except for new board art. The 1971 edition has all new wording (and new art), but it is otherwise the exact same game. Sailing became Teaching, and therefore "double all happiness earned on cruise" became "double all happiness earned during tenure", but every fame, every happiness, every money value is exactly the same. I bought the 1971 edition when it came out, and compared it to my old one very, very carefully. (God, I can't believe how much Careers I played as a child.)

There was this one with six tracks instead of eight:
1979 Board

If that one were somehow popular (no way), you might get that one split off, but there is no way the 1971 edition will be split from the 1955/1965 edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for getting back to me cool However, those are NOT it! Still, interesting infos on the Sailing --> Teaching. I wouldn't have expected THAT revision, but it does make sense. I've managed to figure out the version I played was the 2003 edition, as well as confirm what some of the squares are.

This is what it looks like (box cover and board), which would've been more helpful if it was more high res and clear, but at least it gave me something to work with.

going clockwise from Pay Day, the career loops are:
Medical Research, Conservation, College, Big Business, Teaching, Politics, Entertainment, and Sports

The corners are:
Pay Day, Job Search, Hospital, and Tropical Vacation,

Everything else includes but not limited to:
Taxes Due, Auto Show,
Food, Auction
Mortage Due, Mall Shopping
and Stock Market, Yacht, and Charity.

As for lumping vs splitting, ANY philosophy or idea why Monopoly, it's gazillion spinoffs, and even its clones (not designed, published, nor licensed by the same folks as Monopoly, doesn't contain the word "Monopoly" in its title neither) such as San Francisco in a Box have been seperated? As far as I know, they ALL play the same except for the artwork, themes, and cosmetic appearance of components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: where to find specific version of Careers NOT listed on
ackmondual wrote:
This is what it looks like (box cover and board), which would've been more helpful if it was more high res and clear, but at least it gave me something to work with.

Yeah, I hate those crummy images. Enough to know it's what your looking for, but not enough to see what you want to see.

Quote:
going clockwise from Pay Day, the career loops are:
Medical Research, Conservation, College, Big Business, Teaching, Politics, Entertainment, and Sports

That's a little different from the 1971 edition, but I would expect it's still all the same numbers as 1955.

Quote:
As for lumping vs splitting, ANY philosophy or idea why Monopoly, it's gazillion spinoffs, and even its clones (not designed, published, nor licensed by the same folks as Monopoly, doesn't contain the word "Monopoly" in its title neither) such as San Francisco in a Box have been seperated? As far as I know, they ALL play the same except for the artwork, themes, and cosmetic appearance of components.

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Monopoly_Fiat

I hope you weren't expecting logic. BTW, I can vouch for the fact that Monopoly: Spongebob Squarepants has an option not in the original. It includes a Plankton token, which circles the board as 1s are rolled. If you land on an unowned property when Plankton's there, you get a discount, and when Plankton makes it all the way around to Go, the game is over. I would guess that rule is found in some others, but I just don't know. I really don't want to play Monopoly, but my friend's kids had just gotten it, and I got play Squidward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Monkey
England
London
flag msg tools
I played a version of Careers in New Zealand in the mid-1990s.
This is what the board looked like:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/199829
The poster is an Australian as far as I can work out so was wondering if this version was only released in the Southern Hemisphere?

I'd like to be able to buy this version if possible but have had no luck finding it.

Can anyone help? Also, does anyone know how different the 2006 version of Careers is to this version?

I like the modern feel to the version I played with but people seem to think the 2006 is too modern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Krick
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MomoMonkey wrote:
I played a version of Careers in New Zealand in the mid-1990s.
This is what the board looked like:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/199829
The poster is an Australian as far as I can work out so was wondering if this version was only released in the Southern Hemisphere?

I'd like to be able to buy this version if possible but have had no luck finding it.

That is the 1992 Tiger Games version that I have. I just posted a thread about it. You can find them on Google shopping...

http://www.google.com/products?q=%22careers+board+game%22+ti...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I had this game - I might still have in a box in the attic somewhere... but I think I had a different version than any I've seen. Would have been around in the late 80's, box looked kind of like the 79 version but not quite the same...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I never closed this out, but just wanted to post that I ended up getting the 2003 version which with that yellow-orange box cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.