Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background: During the 1970s there were several tallks aimed at slowing down the arms race between the superpowers. These bore fruit in two Strategic Arms Limitation Treaties- SALT for short.

Effect: 3 Ops Mixed starred event. Increase Defcon by 2 levels. For the rest of the turn Coup rolls have a -1 drm. Search through the discard pile for a non-scoring card, show it to your opponent, and add it to your hand.

Strategy: As I've grown into the game I've come to appreciate this card more and more. The effect on Defcon and the coup modifier are ok, but the real power lies in the ability to retreive a card from the discard pile. Voice of America is a classic choice, as is Red Scare/Purge, but there are many others- for example using this to pick up an event your opponent used on the Space Race. It makes a good headline. I would be very cautious about playing this for Ops. Even if you can't see anything in the discards for you now, you don't want to risk your opponent drawing this later. Another effect is that you get to hold an extra card between turns, which can be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OPEC is a popular pull for the Soviets. Lots of potential VPs there.

Lots of fun can be had playing an event, then getting it back and playing it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and with Star Wars you can even have an event happen 3 times in the same turn. East European Unrest for example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
my only problem (and this applies to any game which has a card to search the discards and retrieve a card) is that it sometimes takes a player a long time to choose a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
This card's power is directly proportional to the height of the discard pile. Thus it's often smart to hold this card a turn, depending on when the reshuffles are.

Getting OPECed twice in one turn is INCREDIBLY painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Chace
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a really good event. Good cards to claim from the discard pile:

OPEC
Voice of America
ABM Treaty
Red Scare/Purge

The existance of this card is why it's sometimes good to try and keep a card like OPEC in your hand if you're the US instead of space race it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Specific cards: SALT Negotiations- when not to play it
I was playing Twilight Struggle last night with my friend. It was only his second game so perhaps he could be forgiven the odd blunder. He was USA.

Anyway, he played SALT Negotiations as his Turn 7 headline.

First, why is this not such a good move?

Second, in what circumstances would it be a good move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You couped Europe for your first action!shake
He should have played it as his last action and retrieve ABM Treaty for the next turn headline

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good try, but actually it is bit more basic than that.

Clue: What cards should he have been considering taking from the discard pile at this point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once, with USSR, I played SALT Negociation in headline and the USA played Red Scare/Purge. I retrieve Red Scare/Purge and played it for my first action. Ah ah ! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually that was more or less the answer to my question 2): If the USA knew the USSR was playing a 4 OPs mixed event as his headline then SALT would be reasonable enough.

But he didn't know, and my event was not 4 OPs. So his headline resolved first and he read out the event text on the card and got to the bit where it says "search the discard pile" and looked for the discard pile, and only then did he realise there was no discard pile- as it was the beginning of Turn 7 the discards had been shuffled in for the deal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
So his headline resolved first and he read out the event text on the card and got to the bit where it says "search the discard pile" and looked for the discard pile, and only then did he realise there was no discard pile- as it was the beginning of Turn 7 the discards had been shuffled in for the deal...

I should have guessed it. I did that once too... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SALT Negotiations can also work well with Bear Trap or Quagmire. Your opponent will generally discard your events first when under the influence of those cards. If you have SALT Negotiations you can pick up the card he was so relieved to be rid of a second before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Q
Germany
flag msg tools

What is the general opinion on the timing of this card?

Headline, early, last AR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destruct1 wrote:

What is the general opinion on the timing of this card?

Headline, early, last AR?

The times I use it most often are when I've lost a card to an event that will force me to play something I wanted to hold. I use this as a defensive measure more than an offensive one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dueck
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do MilOps from coups also receive a -1 modifier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, it's a dice roll modifier not an ops modifier so you get the full MOPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.