Subject: Limitation of the parts while playing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

i would like to know if one of the following is limited while playing (i mean while playing with the original age of steam rules):

1. Track tiles: The rules has an tile manifest which counts the track tiles but for example what if the 48th straight track tile is placed?
2. Town tiles
3. Town discs
4. Good cubes
5. Money
6. Track ownership dics

Thanks for reply
der ingo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I don't know about the money, but as for the rest of the bits, the available number is the limit. Once you've laid that last piece of straight track, or that last 3-exit town tile, you're done. John Bohrer has mentioned in a previous thread that the track ownership discs represent a limit, as well, though some of the expansion maps overlook that limit.

I expect that, given how tight money is in the game, that even if the money IS a limit, it won't be a factor too often in your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Paquet
Canada
Boischatel
Québec Province
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Age of Steam is counter limited gamer's game. Track tiles, town tiles and goods are limited and that's an important part of the game as you can choose a specific tile instead of another one to block other players. So the First build action is often choosen in our game as it can be critical to obtain the last complex tile of a kind to be able to have a profitable network.

Concerning money and track ownership I don't know how you could miss one one these components. We've played many games with 2 to 8 players and we were never close of missing any of these components.

Pierre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Now that I think more about it, I can't imagine money being a finite limitation to the game. If you're earning enough money each turn to bankrupt the bank, you deserve it, and it could just be tracked on paper, anyway. The rules even mention that money is just a tool, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dedefortin wrote:
Age of Steam is counter limited gamer's game. Track tiles, town tiles and goods are limited and that's an important part of the game as you can choose a specific tile instead of another one to block other players. So the First build action is often choosen in our game as it can be critical to obtain the last complex tile of a kind to be able to have a profitable network.

Concerning money and track ownership I don't know how you could miss one one these components. We've played many games with 2 to 8 players and we were never close of missing any of these components.

Pierre

The fact that you'd want to play with more than 6 players is scary. I know Netherlands(?) is 7 player, but 8 - that's just crazy talk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Paquet
Canada
Boischatel
Québec Province
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi Charles
You're invited whenever you want in Quebec City or at the WBC in Lancaster to try multi player maps. I'm sure you'll have as much fun as we do.

Pierre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someday when my kids are older, I will get to the WBC - though I'm sure I'll get owned by the AoS sharks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
1. Track tiles
2. Town tiles
3. Town discs
4. Good cubes
5. Money
6. Track ownership dics

1. Yes, limited
2. Yes, limited
3. Yes - the limit is eight (8) as per the rules. John has said in previous posts that some games may contain more but that the actual limit is 8. My game came with 10 but we play with 8.
4. Definitely! There should be twenty (20) of each colour except sixteen (16) black.
5. No (see above)
6. Yes - twenty-five (25) of each

However, some expansions (Lawrence's Sun, for example) specifically mention town and ownership discs should be unlimited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
The rules has an tile manifest which counts the track tiles but for example what if the 48th straight track tile is placed?

Is there an expression in German for S.O.L.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Acosta
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Great Übergeek Old One
badge
"That is not dead which can eternal lie; yet with strange aeons, even death may die" Abdul Al-Hazred, Necronomicon
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Now that I think more about it, I can't imagine money being a finite limitation to the game. If you're earning enough money each turn to bankrupt the bank, you deserve it, and it could just be tracked on paper, anyway. The rules even mention that money is just a tool, anyway.

If someone gets enough money to bankrupt the bank, that person deserves not only the money earned beyond the bits limit, but also a monument nearby Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
d0gb0t wrote:
1. Track tiles: The rules has an tile manifest which counts the track tiles but for example what if the 48th straight track tile is placed?

Track tiles are explicitly limited. Exception: you can swap out tiles under towns so long as the exit pattern remains unchanged. I don't like this limit but have no particular way to work around it.

Quote:
2. Town tiles

Explicitly limited.

Quote:
3. Town discs

8 Only. Many copies come with more. I usually ignore this limit. All of my maps have an explicit rule amendment that town counters are not limited.

Quote:
4. Good cubes

Explicitly limited. 20 in each of 4 colours and 16 black.

Quote:
5. Money

Not limited. Few maps other than my AoS: Sun can possibly approach this limit.

Quote:
6. Track ownership dics

Explicitly limited. Few maps other than mine will approach this limit. All of my maps have an explicit rule amendment that track counters are not limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Nodens77 wrote:
If someone gets enough money to bankrupt the bank, that person deserves not only the money earned beyond the bits limit, but also a monument nearby Essen.

I've seen players in unexperienced groups with incomes well over $80 on Ted's Pennsylvania and my Sun maps. It doesn't take long at that rate to break the default game bank. As happens in those slaughter-fests that player tended to just lead the turn order auction with a bid of something like "$60!" or "$150!", which simply inverted the turn order (everyone else passed) and kept the bank solvent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
rockusultimus wrote:
d0gb0t wrote:
The rules has an tile manifest which counts the track tiles but for example what if the 48th straight track tile is placed?

Is there an expression in German for S.O.L.?

In several games we've run out of broad curves or straights on the Great Lakes map (never both at the same time). AoS: Sun games will regularly run out of all town tiles, all complex track tiles, and all broad and sharp curves by the end of the game. AoS: London is particularly hard on sharp and broad curves and sometimes also runs out of complex track tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BusinessIsGood
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
dedefortin wrote:

Pierre

Playing the Eastern US & Canada map with 3 players, I have seen the Track Ownership disks run out. A player can use 3 in a single build on the east coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
rockusultimus wrote:
d0gb0t wrote:
6. Track ownership dics

6. Yes - twenty-five (25) of each

Did this change between editions? My 3rd edition rules say "6 sets of Track Ownership Locomotives (... 20 of each). Note that 25 are provided, but only 20 may be used. The extras are for a future expansion."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that you mean the latest printing by FRED Distribution? They are all the same edition (same rules, same map, etc.) and the latest is the fourth printing, with all the nifty locomotive pieces. Anyway, all prior printings included 20 Track Ownership markers. The latest printing includes 5 extra that are only for use with an expansion map that is not yet released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Aha, yes, the FRED one. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.