John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend Richard Diem (user Big Beluga) pointed out in his thread there is significant rule change in the Air Pack Rules that affects our favorite scenario, Red Barricades. (Also Ponyri but we've not played that one).

The original scenario defines control of the 4 hex Barricades Factory as follows. "To gain control, your side must occupy more of the Building hexes than your opponent."

The Air Pack scenario defines the 4 hex factory/ruin complex as a "Temporary Majority Medal Objective worth 2 Medals to whoever controls it."

The difference is - The Air Pack Rule Book defines Temporary Majority Medal Objective as –“The Victory Medal for this group of objective hexes goes to the side that has units in an absolute majority of these hexes.”

Having a majority of units is whole lot different than controlling an absolute majority of hexes. One friendly unit can control the factory if there are no enemy units present. Having to control an absolute majority of hexes means having friendly units in three of the four hexes.

This also applies to the two hex complex in the center section. According to the Air Pack definition both hexes have to be occupied to have control.

We are not sure what R. Borg's intent is and whether the implications of this wording change on these specific scenarios was fully understood.

Comments? Answers? Ideas? Thumbs? GG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt answer.

The fella who discovered this is my main war gamer friend, Richard Diem (Big Beluga). He has been a long time play tester and rules proof reader for Vance von Borries.

His original but more roundabout thread can be found here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/267339
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystic Hood
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still play it as a majority as well.

Absolute majority in that case is UGH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I can answer that one: The intent in the use of the word "absolute" was to indicate that a tie in the # of units between the 2 camps would not be sufficient to get the medal. Instead, you'd need at least one more than the opposition.

eric @ DoW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it should read: The Victory Medal for this group of objective hexes goes to the side that has an absolute majority of units in these hexes.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Help a stupid out:

What's the difference between what it says and what you say it should say, Scribby? I don't see the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

The Air Pack Rule Book defines Temporary Majority Medal Objective as –“The Victory Medal for this group of objective hexes goes to the side that has units in an absolute majority of these hexes.”

Apparently what is meant is The Victory Medal for this group of objective hexes goes to the side that has an absolute majority of units in these hexes.

Absolute majority of hexes means or can be interpreted as a player must control (occupy in game terms) the majority of hexes or 3 of the 4 hexes in the objective location regardless of the presence of the enemy

An absolute majority units means a player must have at least one more unit than the enemy in the objective location to claim the Medal. Thus one unit could control the Medal Location if there were no enemy units present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.