Popular Tags: [View All]
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, after 2 plays I'm having some semantic difficulties with building scoring that I don't see referenced in other postings:

Let's say we're scoring for "most" Castles: Are there a maximum of 15 points available (per Daimyo), (3 per region), or a maximum of 3?

From the rules: "For most castles in a region.......3 VP"

But does that mean 3 points are available for each region? Or is it saying we compare all regions, but a players castle count is limited to what he has in 1 region?

On the side of 15 available points seems to be:
1) The 80 point scoring track
2) From the rules, under "The Goal," - "The player who manages to build the most buildings in each of the 5 regions well be rewarded with valuable bonus points." -not "a" region, rather "each"

On the side of 3 VP:
1) The Bookshelf Games video scoring example

I want it to be the former, but I fear it's the latter.

I apologize if my wording is as unclear as the rule seems to me! I'll elaborate if needed....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilgore Trout
England
Forest Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The person with the most castles in a region gets a bonus 3 VP on top of the scores for the castles. You do this for each of the 5 regions. You can theoretically get 15 bonus VPs for all regions but in my limited experience I think you'd be doing great if you got between 5 and 8 for castles in a 4 or 5 player game.

Hope that clears it up - download some of the player guides too - they helped our crew out a lot.

Just to add - when we score we go around the table for each person playing and ask:
"How many castles in the _____ region does Joe have?" - Add score to track
"Is this the most? The second most?" - Add score to track
"How many temples in the _____ region does Joe have?" - Add score to track
"Is this etc. etc.

Then onto the next player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thanks for your quick reply! (The edit addition helped alot laugh ) People are coming over in 15 minutes, and after Antike, Shogun is on the slate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilgore Trout
England
Forest Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well - I hope you won!! My tip (which I always ignore) is not to play the game like Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that James. I am afraid your confussion is related to a correction Mark Croker pointed out to me before:

Thanks to Mark Crocker for the following rule correction

* Having to do with the scoring of the various buildings constructed. (around 29 minutes into the video). I believe that majority bonus points are scored region by region. You call a tie for the number of castles built by red and yellow, and award them 2 points each. But the castles are in different regions, designated by the color of the province, so they are not cancelling each other out, and are actually worth 3 points each to red and to yellow, both...going by that section of the board, and assuming that there are no other structures to the east or west of what is shown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I put Antike first in the queue to try to swoon the noobs into playing Shogun more militarily than I think I was beginning to realize it should be played. After the first game, I thought, "Oh no, there are only 6 turns, must attack early and often next time!" but second game the tax card came up in the second half of the actions, and I had very few armies in the end of the second game, and I sat jealous of people with enough armies to defend their buildings!

This time I came out of the first Winter with 39 points, and no longer doubt the length of the vp track

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.