Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured this would make for a good set of session reports. My entire group loves Capes and Cowls and everyone that has it knows why -- it's surprisingly deep for such a simple game, offers a wide array of heroes all with unique powers, and plays fairly quick.

We decided to set up an 8 team tournament. The tourney will start this weekend with the draft and then proceed to the clobbering.

The draft will be a "snake" draft; that means whoever picks 1st picks last in round 2. So, in other words, the player who gets first pick will not pick again for another 15 selections, but will then make back to back picks to start round 3. Better make that first one count!

We all agreed on teams of 3 heroes each -- all heroes (no freedom patrols, etc. although of course the Baron gets his Zombies).

After the draft I'll post the teams and then try to do session reports similar to my intro reports from a while back.

Should be fun.

Anyone want to predict the first 8 picks? I know who I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great timing. I just got this game over the holidays and am only beginning to explore it. I'll look forward to seeing your session reports.

I don't know the game near well enough to venture a guess about your draft order, but I will say that I have conceived an early affection for Battery-Man, just because he's such a goofball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul,

Yeah I saw that you landed a copy. Congrats. They seem about as rare as a 3-dollar bill these days. My buddies love it and have pretty much told me to never request Marvel Heroes ever again since we already have C&C.

It sure seems like they are costing themselves a lot of loot due to short a small print run. Three of my friends want a copy, but just aren't lucky enough to check the site at the right time.

Anyway, we're still novices to the game in many ways even though we've played it several times now. I'm very curious to see who gets chosen and when.

I'm a big Tenebro fan so hopefully he'll be there when it's my pick. I'll need to draft a protector to land him, but he's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having owned, played (and rapidly traded away) Marvel Heroes, and having noodled around with Capes & Cowls a bit since it arrived, I can confidently say that your pals are spot-on in saying that C&C is all the superhero game you will ever need.

Good luck landing Tenebro. He's the guy with the darklings, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldenboat wrote:
Good luck landing Tenebro. He's the guy with the darklings, right?

Yeah, but in the regular game he's great because he causes a -1 modifier to all foe's attack, defend, and speed. He doesn't even have to *do* anything for that to happen. It's a game effect. That coupled with the fact that he's a black square fiend...he's a fantastic support hero. If I can't get Tenebro as my support I'll prolly try for Diablo Azul. He's tough too.

If I can get him...I'll do it in the first round. If I can somehow get a bruiser like Ygg (he'll be gone by then I assume) or even Titania or Manchine (I like him a lot too) I'll be happy. One of my buddies loves Lady Lightning and Da Blink, which would make for an interesting combo. Will be cool to see who goes where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbing through the characters last night I seem to recall a character that can zap folks on black squares wherever they may be ... or is that Tenebro, too?

One of the things I like about the game is how the various powers combine and/or nullify each other. There's a bit of the best part of a CCG in this design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My top 3 are Baron Necro, Tenebro, Diablo Azul (in that order), with YGG #4. But with teams of only 3 heroes, I think that makes YGG #2 behind Baron Necro, possibly even #1. Tenebro and Diablo Azul need more backup so that they stick around longer.

What are the rules on terrain in the tournament? That has a big impact on whether you want melee or ranged fighters.

So my guesses on the draft...

Round 1:
1. YGG (I'd personally take Baron Necro, but this is my prediction on what others will do.)
2. Tenebro
3. Baron Necro
4. Diablo Azul
5. Star Knight
6. Golden Rocket
7. Demoniac
8. Titana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:

What are the rules on terrain in the tournament? That has a big impact on whether you want melee or ranged fighters.

Each player gets 3 pieces of terrain (only 2 can be roofs). After placement, players must agree on additional terrain. If they can't agree, no more may be placed.

I wanted to go 4 heroes each, but was outvoted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zowie! This sounds exciting. Drafting is always a tense affair for me, so your "snake" draft would probably give me a nervous breakdown. blush Even after playing the game for around a year now, I still have a hard time choosing heroes. Current faves include Titana, Hotshot, Nightshade, and Mysteria. And about 28 other characters, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh yeah, going 1st is nice and all but waiting another 15 picks is excrutiating.

I'm also a fan of Star Knight and Nightshade. So much of this will also depend on combos -- some tandems are deadly while three heroes who don't play off each other I think will get whipped.

I know that one buddy wants Golden Rocket and he drafts before I do so that's one less guy who might take Tenebro. I draft 3rd. So I'm hoping it goes YGG, Rocket and then I can take Tenebro and maybe catch Manchine or Demoniac on the backside of round 2. If they last that long...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A snaking draft with an odd number of characters puts the later people at a bigger disadvantage. Fortunately, there aren't really any 'weak' characters in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wabner wrote:

That's too bad. The battles are extremely interesting (and a lot more challenging) once you get up to four or five heroes per team. But three-hero teams can be a lot of fun as well, and will probably work nicely in an eight-team tournament setting. I'm looking forward to seeing how the teams shape up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandrake wrote:
wabner wrote:

That's too bad. The battles are extremely interesting (and a lot more challenging) once you get up to four or five heroes per team. But three-hero teams can be a lot of fun as well, and will probably work nicely in an eight-team tournament setting. I'm looking forward to seeing how the teams shape up.

I agree. I wanted 4, too. Maybe we can if this one goes well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After much debate and much smack talking, the draft is in the books. Round 1 will take place tomorrow and I'll try to supply some snapshots as well as some recaps.

Here's how the draft went down:

Round 1:

Pick 1: Tenebro

The night starts off with me sitting in the #3 spot, hoping to land my man Tenebro. That hope is quickly dashed as he's taken right off the bat.

Pick 2: YGG

The giant YGG is next off the block, and a smart pick at #2. He's a tough dude to handle and in this format should have went first, IMO. Maybe I'm just bitter.

Pick 3: Diablo Azul

With Tenebro and YGG off the board I go with the back up plan. I considered several heroes here and almost took Baron Necro, but I'm sticking to my Diablo guns. Now I need some muscle.

Pick 4: Red Rook

The first shocker of the night. The high flying Red Rook over Baron Necro? My buddy Brian simply says, "All part of the plan..." We'll see.

Pick 5: Nightshade

I like Nightshade and I think this is a safe pick. High health and nice powers.

Pick 6: Demoniac

I was hoping he'd make it back to me, but ah well. More muscle off the board...

Pick 7: Golden Rocket

I thought the Rocket would go top two but he falls to pick 7. Rumor of steroid use might be the culprit.

Pick 8: Baron Necro

Wow! To get him with the last pick of the round. Total steal.

Round 2

Pick 1: Titana

The big girl is gone. Combined with Necro this has the makings of a hell of a team.

Pick 2: Star Knight

Damn it! My next target is now gone as Star Knight joins Golden Rocket.

Pick 3: Manchine

Well my targets are falling off the board like flies. Manchine + Demoniac. Yikes. Team Hard Hat.

Pick 4: Fantazm

He joins Nightshade -- I like this team and I think Fantazm is a very underrated hero.

Pick 5: Dr. Grimfate

Thr Doc joins Red Rook in what is turning out to be the underdogs of the tourney. Brian reponds, "My last pick will solidify my plan!"

Pick 6: Lady Lightning

I was torn. A lot of my targets were snatched up in round 2 and I needed someone with at least some muscle and Lady Lightning's 4 attack and 4 defense...and that crazy 12 speed won out over Moon Beast and Mysteria.

Pick 7: Moon Beast

Not a shock. I almost took him myself. Kill the beast early. Wow. YGG + Moon Beast. I hope I don't regret that pick.

Pick 8: Blue Malkin

Tenebro needs muscle so I guess the Malkin makes sense here. I still think this was a reach.

Round 3:

Pick 1: Da' Blink

The first team is formed. Tenebro, Blue Malkin and Da Blink. Now that is one eclectic group of heroes. If Tenebro can staty alive, Malkin and Blink are both very speedy.

Pick 2: Serapha

He takes the healer to go with YGG and Moon Beast. Tough, tough, team.

Pick 3: Green Gremlin

What to do. Time for a curveball. Let's go with the trickster just to make things interesting. Diablo Azul, Lady Lightning, and the Gremlin. Nowhere NEAR the team I planned on drafting but hey...gotta go with the flow.

Pick 4: Hot Shot

I had Hot Shot in my hand along with The Gremlin and took the little guy. Nice pick to go along with Red Rook and Grimfate. Brian agreed. heh.

Pick 5: Mysteria

I would have taken her but the idea of her and Azul scared me. She joins Nightshade and Fantazm.

Pick 6: Marasmos

The Wither Man if off the board. Just stay away from him and you'll be ok. He joins Manchine and Demoniac.

Pick 7: Elastra

Very nice pick up this late. She joins Golden Rocket and Star Knight.

Pick 8: Frostbite

I was wondering if one of the elementals would get taken. Diablo Azul really makes Dagon tough to draft and Tenebro makes The Mole hard to take, too. Frostbite joins Baron Necro and Titana. Great team for picking last.

So, to recap, here's the teams and the first round match ups:

Team 8: Baron Necro, Titana, Frostbite
vs
Team 3: Diablo Azul, Lady Lightning, Green Gremlin
(Not sure if I like this match up...doh)

Team 6: Demoniac, Manchine, Marasmos
vs
Team 1: Tenebro, Blue Malkin, Da Blink

Team 2: YGG, Moon Beast, Serapha
vs
Team 5: Nightshade, Fantazm, Mysteria

Team 4: Red Rook, Dr. Grimfate, Hot Sgot
vs
Team 7: Golden Rocket, Star Knight, Elastra

The stage is set and the tourney will start tomorrow.

Place your bets. I really like teams 2 and 8 a lot.They're all good team, really, as the heroes are all powerful in their own way, but facing Necro in round 1 is not ideal!

More to come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My commentary/predictions:

wabner wrote:

vs
(Not sure if I like this match up...doh)

Winner: Team 3 (tough call)
I'm going with Team 3, but this is a tough call. This match will depend heavily on initiative rolls: Diablo Azul vs. Frostbite. A successful roll for Diablo Azul results in Titana taking a hit from Frostbite and both Titana and Frostbite being spent. Devastating. Since Baron Necro will probably be avoiding combat so he can summon zombies the whole game, it effectively wipes out a whole round for Team 8. A successful roll for Frostbite means Diablo Azul is spent and damaged. If either Frostbite or Diablo Azul is lost, the winner can go into defense-mode and probably wait out the game for a 3-2 win. Baron Necro's team can hide behind zombies. Diablo Azul's team has two characters to negate the other team's characters and another who can outrun everyone, so hitting one of a character who is on the run could be difficult. I'm going with Team 3 because they can more easily eliminate Frostbite by using Lady Lightning's 2 POW attack and lining up Green Gremlin so that if Frostbite has a clear line from a white space to Diablo Azul, Green Gremlin is in line to negate it.

Quote:

vs

Winner: Team 6
I'm not sure I understand the Blue Malkin selection - I would have left her in the undrafted set. Significantly in this matchup - Demoniac's Demonic Descent cannot be used while Tenebro is alive because his speed is reduced. Without a ranged fighter, though, I don't know if Team 1 will be able to take out any of Team 6. Tenebro will not be in the melee, and Machine and Marasmos are both capable of dealing 2 POWs in a round - even in the dark. As long as Team 6 stays off the black spaces they should be able to win this one with 2 well-timed power-ups from Manchine.

Quote:

vs

Winner: Team 5
No ranged fighters on Team 2. YGG + Serapha will be all but impossible to KO, but both Moon Beast and Serapha are vulnerable. Nightshade and Mysteria can shoot from a distance. As long as they focus on one victim (preferably Serapha, but she'll probably be hiding behind the bruisers) they should be able to take someone out while avoiding hand-to-hand combat. And as long as they don't waste any efforts attacking YGG at all. Team 2's strategy should be to turtle until Moon Beast can rampage. Make shooting anyone but YGG as hard as possible until the moon comes out.

Quote:

Team 4: Red Rook, Dr. Grimfate, Hot Sgot
vs

Winner: Team 7
Team 4 looks really strong, but they need a clear line of sight for Hot Shot and Dr. Grimfate to be at their best. Team 7 has a nice, clean approach that doesn't leave them vulnerable. Put everyone in some sort of fortress so Grimfate and Hotshot are minimized. Every other turn Elastra can attack without becoming vulnerable. Golden Rocket can fly out as the last action of the round, attack, and then fly back on Star Knight's leadership. They just have to be careful not to be all together when Hot Shot has a clear shot. Grimfate is probably the most luck-dependent hero. If he gets an automatic KO on a single roll, it could be an automatic win for his team. That's good, but relying on luck so much means winning the whole tournament is less likely.

Ranking the draft (up for much debate):
#1 - Team 7: Golden Rocket, Star Knight, Elastra
#2 - Team 3: Diablo Azul, Lady Lightning, Green Gremlin
#3 - Team 8: Baron Necro, Titana, Frostbite
#4 - Team 6: Demoniac, Manchine, Marasmos
#5 - Team 5: Nightshade, Fantazm, Mysteria
#6 - Team 4: Red Rook, Dr. Grimfate, Hot Shot
#7 - Team 2: YGG, Moon Beast, Serapha
#8 - Team 1: Tenebro, Blue Malkin, Da Blink

Without range attackers, I think teams will be at a disadvantage in this tournament. So few characters and not necessarily much terrain means the other teams should be able to sit back and shoot them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Undrafted:
Time Meister
Battery-Man
Black Manx
Hellrags
Brown Recluse
Dagon
Mole
Blaze

Dagon and Mole are understandably left out because they need black or blue, and Diablo Azul and Tenebro make those colors tough (or impossible) to land on. I'm not surprised to see Time Meister, Battery-Man, or Brown Recluse left out. (Diablo Azul, Battery-Man, and Time Meister would have been an interesting team to see, though.)

Black Manx, Blaze, and Hellrags could have been taken. Blaze would have provided another shooter, which two teams lack. Black Manx and Hellrags are formidable melee fighters, but melee will probably be less important on these less crowded boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great rundown!

The effectiveness of teams has so much to do with the skill of the players involved that placing a bet is going to be difficult. I've seen good players with mediocre teams trounce not-so-good players with strong teams. The teams in this tournament demonstrate some thematically bizarre alliances, but they all look like a lot of fun to play.

Brief Thoughts on Each Team:

Frustrating to deal with and potentially effective, but lacking in muscle and firepower. Don't underestimate the Blue Malkin, though; she's almost always more of a factor than people expect her to be.

Team 2: Ygg, Moon Beast, Serapha
Not terribly versatile, but nigh unstoppable. Wouldn't want to face them. Even in the hands of a weak player, this team could still fair well.

Not much muscle, but loaded with interesting potential. Will require a lot of finesse to use well. In the right hands, extremely effective. In the wrong hands, doomed.

Team 4: Red Rook, Dr. Grimfate, Hotshot
Potentially very deadly. If Doctor Grimfate is on his game, let the crying begin now.

The most thematically "correct" team in the tournament; all members of Nightforce, in fact. In my experience, the Heroes in this team, for whatever reason, are all underrated, but each is every inch a hero. Together, they'll be hard to beat. I'm not saying this team is necessarily the strongest in the tournament, but given my style of play it's definitely the one I'd choose, if I had my druthers.

Lots of punch and highly versatile. If used well, this team could really put the hurt on the opposition.

Another thematically "correct" team, and one with good synergy. A strong player will get a lot of mileage out of this trio, especially if he doesn't forget to use Elastra's Entangle power, as I sometimes do.

Muscle, firepower, and a horde of hungry zombies. This team would have me shaking in my boots; in the hands of a skillful player, it might well reign supreme.

Hall of Shame: Thoughts on the Undrafted:

In this particular tournament, someone (eight heroes, to be exact) had to go undrafted, but some of the rejects are quite surpising.

Time Meister
No real surprise here. The Time Meister is not a hero you want to rely on, but he's also not one you ever feel confident going up against. It would have been interesting to see the havoc he would have wreaked.

Battery-Man
Sure he's a loose cannon, but he often proves more than worth the trouble. I once used his Voltaic Assault in a three-player game to damage six characters in a single attack!

Black Manx
For some reason, the Black Manx is one of those characters that a lot of people tend to overlook. Personally, I find him extremely tough and am always pleased to have him on my team.

Hellrags
This might be the biggest surprise of the bunch. Several people in my group swear by this guy. He's versatile, dangerous, and relentless. Even in the hands of a beginner, he almost always proves effective.

Brown Recluse
Not surprised to see the Brown Recluse sidelined, but with a well-placed Venom Punch or two he can humble even the mightiest of heroes.

Dagon
The only hoss not invited to the party. Diablo Azul does put a cramp in his style, but he's more than strong enough to bide his time, and often finishes well despite the machinations of his devilish adversary.

Mole
Another loose cannon. Though not a character I'm often inclined to draft, he's also one that I'm none to eager to face.

Blaze
The hottest gal in Wyrd City, and not invited to the dance? Whodathunk?

Again, great rundown. Now bring on the battle reports!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the teams have names other than "Team Demoniac", etc.?

Blink, Black, Blue?

Monsters?

Zapped?

Team 4: Red Rook, Dr. Grimfate, Hot Shot
Artillery?

Nightforce? (what else?)

Team Hardhat?

Flight and Knight?

Cold, Hard, and Dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Blink, Black, Blue?

Just "Black & Blue" would work.

FlyingArrow wrote:
Monsters?

How about "Beauty and the Beasts"?

FlyingArrow wrote:
Flight and Knight?

"Knightflight" has a nice ring to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
My commentary/predictions:

Ranking the draft (up for much debate):
#1 - Team 7: Golden Rocket, Star Knight, Elastra
#2 - Team 3: Diablo Azul, Lady Lightning, Green Gremlin
#3 - Team 8: Baron Necro, Titana, Frostbite
#4 - Team 6: Demoniac, Manchine, Marasmos
#5 - Team 5: Nightshade, Fantazm, Mysteria
#6 - Team 4: Red Rook, Dr. Grimfate, Hot Shot
#7 - Team 2: YGG, Moon Beast, Serapha
#8 - Team 1: Tenebro, Blue Malkin, Da Blink

Where do I collect my winnings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.