Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
At my birthday, a few people were playing the boardgame Zombies!!! Now, much as I like Zombies, the actual game tends to the tedious.

However, there's a new game that takes the same theme - Zombie attack - and does it much better. The name of the game? Last Night On Earth.

LNOE is a scenario game that it comes with five scenarios of Zombies attacking a small town filled with stereotypical characters like the Sheriff, the Highschool Sweetheart, the Jock, and the Loner. The board is modular - a centre area is surrounded by four L-shaped boards that aren't the same each game - and movement and battle is determined by dice and modified by cards.

The game just oozes flavour, from the shambling Zombies, to the beautifully depicted cards, to the situations your characters get into. It's an adversarial game, by which I mean there are one or two Zombie players trying to kill the heroes. There are always 4 hero characters, controlled by one, two or four players.

It's also fast - a much better trait than Zombies, which crawls. The cards can be used immediately for the most part; the exceptions are the Gasoline and Dynamite, which need the characters to find a lighter first.

The scenarios range from the prosaic Die Zombies, Die! which requires the players to kill 15 Zombies, to Burn 'em out! which needs the heroes to find explosives and destroy the spawning pits... you could also need to defend the manor house, or escape in the pick-up (for which you need to find the keys and gasoline first...)

Heroes need to get to buildings to Search (they can either move or search). Searching means they can draw a card... or pickup a card from the discard pile if they're in the right place. The Zombie player can stop them by playing cards, or just by moving Zombies in until there are too many to fight. There are lots of fun cards - my favourite is This could be our last night on earth... which causes two heroes (one male, one female) to miss their turns if they're in the same location. Why? Well, the flavour text gives a clue: "Gimme some sugar, baby." (Also, the Priest is immune...)

All in all, this is a really fun game. I suspect the best number to play it is 3 (one Zombie player controlling all the Zombies, and two hero players controlling 2 heroes each), but I'd say it's fun with any number - well, from 2-5, which is what the game supports.

Even better, there'll be expansions. There are already new (free) scenarios online, and more cards, heroes and scenarios are planned. This is a game really worth checking out, and I daresay it'll be played a few times at game days in the near future...

Game 1 - Die Zombies, Die! - Merric & Craig (heroes) vs Rich & Randy (zombies)
In this game, Craig and I learnt that Zombies are brighter than they look! Randy and Rich quickly grasped the tactic of gathering Zombies outside the doorways of the buildings, and thus cutting us out from an easy escape. Of course, they'd eventually pour in, but that didn't help us much when we were stopped from leaving for that one crucial round.

It really didn't help us when Jenny (the farmgirl) was overwhelmed and killed by the zombies after only two turns. That left three of us running around away from the zombies. Every time we got to a position where we could search the building would be overrun or we'd have a zombie horde descend on us. The few weapons we got would quickly break or run out of ammo...

The crunch came when my wounded priest was holed up in a building surrounded by zombies, and then came "I've Got to Get to the..." building on the other side of the village green. No searching for you! He was overwhelmed by the zombies, and Rich & Randy had won our first game of Last Night on Earth.

Game 2 - Sarah, Dave (Heroes) vs Merric (Zombies) - Burn 'em Out!
Ah, having seen the power of the zombies, I was ready to show it to both Sarah and Dave! Unfortunately, it didn't quite work that way. I do think we got a couple of rules wrong, however - "Scenario Search Items" can't be just picked-up, can they?

Regardless, I was fighting the humans with only a few zombies, as I kept rolling incredibly low on the spawning rolls. Only 6 zombies on the table? I'll roll a 3! Yay!

I finally managed to spawn a few more zombies, and they went hunting the jock, who was standing on a spawning pit with some gasoline. Unfortunately, he managed to destroy the pit before the majority of my zombies reached him. Could he survive an attack from 6 Zombies? Nah! The zombies had their revenge. Brains!

However, with most of my zombies gathered around one part of the board, I wasn't able to reach the other heroes in time. Three spawning pits gone, and the heroes had won!

Game 3 - Meagan & Randy (Heroes) vs Merric (Zombies) - Burn 'em Out!
This was a much harder game for the heroes. Meagan showed incredible accuracy with her Sheriff's revolver, hitting every single time she fired it. So, I had an ever increasing pool of Zombies. However, with buildings being overrun and Zombies pressing the heroes, they were having a tough time of it.

The first spawning pit was destroyed with some heroism, and, through gaining a couple of "Just What I Needed", Randy managed to draw the other two dynamites and was ready to destroy the remaining pits.

Unfortunately, it was at that time that the hero holding one of the dynamites was overrun and killed by the Zombies. Meagan was able to carry the other dynamite to destroy a spawning pit, but they still needed one more... and now their stronghold had been overrun and the heroes were scattered.

My zombie cards were making things worse. Time was getting very short before sundown, and with cards like "I've Got to Get to the...", they found themselves with two turns left, a little to far away from the last spawning pit, and needing to search to get the gasoline and blow up the pit. Randy and Meagan managed to get one hero each to the same spawning pit, and now had one last chance: Meagan couldn't search, Randy could. If Randy searched first and found an explosive, then he could give it to Meagan who would then destroy the pit... and the chances were good of finding an explosive.

I didn't give them the chance. "I Don't Trust 'em" ruined their plans. They could no longer exchange items, and so Randy's explosive dangled uselessly in his hands. The sun went down, and they were overrun!

Final Thoughts
This is one fun game. It's light, fast, and drips theme. I'm looking forward to more games of it. Definitely the best zombie game I've played, and I look forward to the expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold!

I'm ordering the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:

Game 1 - Die Zombies, Die! - Merric & Craig (heroes) vs Rich & Randy (zombies)
It really didn't help us when Jenny (the farmgirl) was overwhelmed and killed by the zombies after only two turns. That left three of us running around away from the zombies.

Please note that after a Hero is killed, the player gets to draw another hero from the pile (You always have 4 heros in play).

Great session report though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I believe it's possible to have less that four heroes if you are playing with less than four Hero players. Page 19 of the rules indicates that you get to draw a new Hero character upon the death of your last hero. This is how we played it and ended up down to two heroes trying desperately to Stock Up! before we ate their brains.
Am I right on this or can someone demonstrate a different interpretation?

Daryl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hastur666 wrote:
Please note that after a Hero is killed, the player gets to draw another hero from the pile (You always have 4 heros in play).

Great session report though!

From what I can gather, it's only when you're playing 1 player:1 hero that such occurs. You draw a replacement hero only when...

a) the last hero you control dies (page 19 "Death of your last hero"), or

b) a hero dies in the Black Zone (page 18 "The Sun Track - Black Zone")

###

Further note: I've misremembered the first game we played. It was actually the Protect the Townsfolk scenario. We found 2 Townsfolk, and then died horribly, after killing only a few zombies in the game.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.