Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am negotiating to trade for the first edition of the game, sets 1 and 2... will I have problems with the manual? I hear that the newest rules of master addendum are all online.. but are new rules added in each expansion?

In other words, will I be able to use the rules online to play the first and second sets? Is there a section for each set or will I be reading rules for the other expansions as well?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rules don't change that dramatically, but do add things (pets, sentinals, flight etc etc). I would suggest downloading the Masters Addundum rules and using those - they have all the rules for the base game and it is clearly labelled what rules are applicable to what sets.

Cheers, and have fun with this game - I love it

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest downloading the Masters Addendum rulebook. There's not that many rules that only apply to the sets beyond #1 & #2 (most of these have to do with the "labyrinth keys" included in these sets. You can ignore these rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I skimmed the master rules.. but I could not find where they tell which parts are only for specific expansions...

It seems like it might be a better to idea to download the rules just for 1 and 2 because they seem to have more illustrations... Have the rules from 1-2 been modified with master addendum?

Did the rules change from the first edition to the second edition or can I stick with what I get?

Just trying to get a handle on things.. thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really go with the Master's Addendum and just use the rules for whatever you get with Sets 1 and 2.

For example, you can skip the sections on Badges, the 4 special Age Keys, etc. I have used the MA rulebook for so long, I don't really even remember the 1st edition rules, but they can't possibly be better than the MA rulebook. The MA rulebook is one of the best rulebooks I've ever seen.

Edit: Also, check out my "sticky" thread at http://www.duelofages.com/doa_bb/viewforum.php?f=2 regarding Post Master's Addendum Rules Clarifications - might be worth printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what I did: Just get the sets you want and use the rules from them. And when you start having to shuffle through four, five, six separate booklets and sheets to find something you need, then print off the appropriate pages of the MA. Then, when you have the cash, buy the MA. (That's still on my to do list. I'd like the hard copy plus the new characters and character corrections....only set 7 and the MA to go...)

DoA is an awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was one rule change from the 1st printing to the 2nd printing. From the Duel of Ages forum at http://www.duelofages.com

Quote:

One controversial rule will be removed in the second printing, and is considered obsolete immediately:

In DOA: Vast Horizons (Set 3), the -1 Hit penalty for being on the wrong terrain age with the wrong weapon age should be ignored. The +1 Hit for having the character, weapon and terrain all the same still applies.

The motivation was also posted there

Quote:

In a moment of insanity, we broke one of our basic rules: Never create a penalty that the user can conveniently forget. On the other hand, the other bonus works, because if the firer doesn't remember his bonus, too bad.

Now, to toot my own horn, I highly suggest you download my two-page Duel of Ages Quick Reference. It covers all of the expansions and the Masters Addendum. I find it very handy when teaching new players.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/17816
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do. So, no rule changes for sets 1-2 then... good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.