Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - I guess like maybe 90% of other owners of this game, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the Consume actions/bonuses/powers.

1) First of all, I guess a more basic question is this: are all players who have the ability to perform a phase required to perform the action (even if they didn't select that action)? I was under the impression that they were, but then of course couldn't find anything in the rules to back this up when I was questioned about it.

2) Do all players perform the Consume action according to their tableau cards' powers whenever someone plays their Consume action card? I understand that the trade one card and 2x VP bonuses only apply to the players who played Consume action cards, but here, unlike the other phases, I was under the impression that only players who chose those Consume actions could do any Consuming (period) that round.

Our scenario in our game this evening had one player playing her Consume - Trade card, two others playing their Consume - 2x VP cards, and the other player playing a different phase action card in the same round. Q: do all players exercise their Consume powers (listed on the cards in their tableau) by trading the goods they can (even the player who didn't choose the Consume action?); do the players who chose Consume - 2x VPs need to do the same thing (trade according to their tableau cards' powers) before they can exercise their 2x VP action?

If anyone can throw some light on the above within the same amount (or fewer) words than I have used, I and my gaming partners would be forever in your debt.

Many TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Consume is a special case here, where you MUST run all of your consumption powers to completion. You can choose the order they run in (which may affect how many cards actually get consumed). Any card, when chosen, must run to full completion if it can run more than once. I believe you must also Produce if you can as well, although I don't see a downside to this. You must also Explore, although there's no reason not to take cards -- worst-case, you'd discard them if you went over ten. Development and Settling are optional.

2. Yes, everybody consumes; but only people who picked Trade must do a trade first, and only people who picked Consume 2xVP get the VP bonus.

This is all spelled out in the manual in the section on Consumption.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) All Players have the opportunity to use all actions played.

2) Only the players who choose the action get the action bonus.

3) The action bonus for Consume - Trade is using the Trade power. Unless you choose this action you CANNOT trade. (There are two cards that provide an exception to this as they allow you to trade whenever someone else selects the consume action. They are Consume actions that allow you to Trade.). NOTE: The action bonus of Trade is MANDATORY. You MUST trade 1 card if you have selected this action.

4) The Consume action is also MANDATORY but for ALL players. All players MUST consume using all of their Consume powers on their cards unless it is illegal to do so. They can choose in what order to use their Consume powers and with which goods. However they cannot choose NOT to use a consume power when this action is taken if their is a legal good to be consumed.

Explore is required of each player, but I cannot imagine why you would NOT want to Explore when given the opportunity so. Explore isn't so much a requirement as a no-brainer opportunity.

The basic Explore that everyone gets is to get 2 cards and keep 1. If you Choose Explore +1, +1 you are getting two cards and keeping 1 and you add one to each of these opportunities. This means you get 3 cards and keep 2. If you choose Explore +5 you get the two cards and keep one and a bonus five cards. This means you get 7 cards and 1.

Develop is totally optional as is Settle - even for the player that choose the power!

Production is required, but again, why would you not want to do so?

Your statement in item 2 is incorrect. ALL players must consume using all consume actions possible. Let's say you have 2 goods - a Novelty good and a Rare Elements Good. Let's also say that you have two Consume powers: Pay "any good" to get ->1 VP and 1 Card 1 VP 1 VP and 1 Card<-. Now you cannot legally use your other Consume power because you cannot pay your Rare Element good to the Novelty consume power. This is legal and is often a very important strategy.

In your example, Yes, all the players must exercise their Consume powers (listed on the cards in their tableau) by CONSUMING the goods that they can.(Not Trade). The only player who gets to trade in your scenario is the person who choose Consume - Trade. The others may not Trade (unless they have one of the two cards in play that allows them to trade and actually have a good to trade). However, all of the players must use whatever Consume powers they can as described above.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephe Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that powers are always compulsory unless the defining text for the power says otherwise. Consumption differs only in that you'd often prefer not to use some of your consume powers, whereas valid reasons not to want to use other powers must be fairly obscure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Parker
United States
Bethel
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
are all players who have the ability to perform a phase required to perform the action (even if they didn't select that action)? I was under the impression that they were, but then of course couldn't find anything in the rules to back this up when I was questioned about it.

Yes. Under PLAYING THE GAME it says "Each phase has an action, which is performed by all players". No wiggle room there - everyone must participate. So I do not agree with earlier comments that say some phases or actions are optional.

Now the Action described for the Develop and Settle phases include the possibility that you will not lay down a card. But you are still participating in the phase. Why does that matter? Because all powers which do not include the word "may" are mandatory. You might have a power you can meaningfully use (think Interstellar Bank) even if you are not placing a development or world.

Apocryphile wrote:
Do all players perform the Consume action according to their tableau cards' powers whenever someone plays their Consume action card?

Yes. Under IV: CONSUME it says "Action: all players must use their consume powers to discard goods for victory point chips and/or card draws".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant World and Deficit Spending say 'May', so it is not compulsory to discard cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jythier wrote:
Merchant World and Deficit Spending say 'May', so it is not compulsory to discard cards?

No. Consuming goods on the tableau is a must if you can, but discarding cards from hand is not. Otherwise, you could just play consume and force your opponent to empty his hand each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalasta wrote:
Jythier wrote:

No. Consuming goods on the tableau is a must if you can, but discarding cards from hand is not. Otherwise, you could just play consume and force your opponent to empty his hand each round.

And another cunning strategy bites the dust!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks everyone. I think the rules could have been clearer on some points, but what game can claim this pinnacle of total clarity I suppose? The player aids are very helpful (and necessary), but should have included a COMPLETE card manifest (either that or four copies of the rulebook)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
Many thanks everyone. I think the rules could have been clearer on some points, but what game can claim this pinnacle of total clarity I suppose? The player aids are very helpful (and necessary), but should have included a COMPLETE card manifest (either that or four copies of the rulebook)!

I know of very few card driven games which contain a complete manifest of the cards contained within them, let alone an individual copy of a rulebook for each potential player.

I've never actually pulled out the player aids for myself after my first day of play, and have left maybe one or two out for newer players for their first 2-3 games. The player aids only explain the basic powers anyway, and any 'special' power is written on the card itself.

Once over the iconography of the cards, you can actually fit the entire game into a small CCG tin designed to hold about 150 cards. That makes the game extremely portable, at the loss of not having the very pretty box art, rulebook and player aids on hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Cheung
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:

I think what you're looking for is:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/28491

Not quite a card manifest (it doesn't mention which cards are duplicated or card names) but otherwise it lists all functional bits of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no reason to mention card duplication if you know the general rule of thumb -- all developments of cost less than 6 are duplicated once; all other cards are unique.

If/when that rule of thumb gets violated (say by the expansions), I have a symbol waiting in the wings for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.