Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To get more familiar with other's druthers, I am asking this question: What do you like in a tile placement game? Some of the things I like:

- Lots of strategy
- Lots of tactics
- Ability to mess with others strategy and tactics
- No chance (see next point)
- Lots of chance (see last point laugh )
- All players are given the same situation (i.e. no variable character strength)

That gives you an idea. Do you like:

- Drawing tiles from a bag?
- Player co-operation?
- Movable tiles?
- Immobile tiles?
- Lots of bits other than tiles?

Anything else?

Please respond!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
- Player co-operation?
- Movable tiles?
- Immobile tiles?

I don't mind where I get tiles from, but the thought that the tiles might move disturbs me (except I love Trias). As the tiles are played I get used to the map and changing the map too much disrupts everything I can see in the game. In Carcassonne, for example, I might be working on a plan to connect two fields together, or in E&T I will be thinking how I can use my river tiles to connect my merchant to that other kingdom. So the tiles must form a picture which stays there for a while. Gheos was a big disappointment because everything kept changing and I couldn't get attached to the geography. The reason Trias gets away with it is that the map only changes slowly - there are few massive interruptions to connectedness.

I do like the possibility of a great move - a well placed catastrophe tile in E&T followed by an external conflict can be devastating. I'd like to see some connection which is great for me and bad for everyone else, as is possible in Tsuro or Metro.

Bits other than tiles are necessary to exercise the design created by the tiles. I like to mess with others by blocking, and not by taking or destroying. Trias is a great game because when I send your dinos swimming you can still save them, if you want to spend the action point and if my horde of dinos aren't standing on the shore saying it's too crowded up here :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you oh so very much for replying! If only more people would give their opinions... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelley
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Go Bulldogs!
badge
A comical familiar for an absent-minded wizard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
- Lots of strategy
- Lots of tactics

I like the fact that the game is going to be different every time. That means I have to think based on a new situation and not follow a well-established strategy. That was one of the biggest reasons I stopped playing Axis and Allies back in the '90s. In that game, the successful strategies were well-known. There were only a few reasonable paths to choose. Everything else against a knowledgeable player was almost certainly a loss. That made the game a matter of execution and die rolls. That's not a lot of fun to me.

With tile placement games, there is a randomness to how the tiles are going to come out. Also, since everyone is placing tiles in their own best interest, the game is constantly changing. I like the challenge of having to adapt what I'm going to do on the fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teresa Williams
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I/we like the fact that the game is different every time. It helpd to keep the game fresh and interesting over the long term.
One of our favorite game is Betrayal at House on the Hill (I think that is how it goes - we call it the mansion game!) The house gets laid out different each time (ours also has the underground lake as a misprint tile so it shows up upstairs for more variation.) The bad person is different and the end game changes. We have played so much that once we have done a haunt a few times we will pick a different one.
Fluxx is a card game with variations so some of the same feeling apply as that is a fun quick game.
Seismic is actually fun too - I just wish I would win more - last game I only drew one intersection the entire night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both!

More comments, please!!! sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
To get more familiar with other's druthers, I am asking this question: What do you like in a tile placement game? Some of the things I like:

- Lots of strategy
- Lots of tactics
- No chance (see next point)
- Lots of chance (see last point laugh )
- All players are given the same situation (i.e. no variable character strength)

That gives you an idea. Do you like:

- Player co-operation?
- Movable tiles?
- Immobile tiles?

Anything else?

Please respond!!!

Tile placement is probably one of my favorite mechanisms in games. Of the things you listed I'd say my favorite areas are:

- Lots of strategy
- Lots of tactics

As far as the second part - I don't care if it is a draw from bag or something like Ta Yüwhere you build a little brick of tiles.

You might be interested in the following geeklists too:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/26830
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/26503

Cheers,
Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only tile placement game I have played much is Carcassonne, which I like a lot. The best feature of that, I think, is that for each tile, you have to consider how you can best use it, while it is still possible to complete mid-term goals, as long as you keep an eye out for the right tiles.

Hence, I like a strong focus on tactics, and a good portion of luck, but with the emphasis on reacting to the luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toothpick the Ferret wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
- Lots of strategy
- Lots of tactics

I like the fact that the game is going to be different every time. That means I have to think based on a new situation and not follow a well-established strategy.

This was my answer exactly. I love games like Carcasonne and Tikal that are what I call "build your own board as you go" games. I've only played Tempus once, but that felt similar even though you built the board in one swoop, it's going to be different every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two versions of Carcassonne (Original and Hunters & Gatherers) and I played T&E once at Gen Con. The thing I liked better about T&E was there was a lot more planning. I think you had 6 tiles available to you (maybe it was 4) so you didn't have to react instantly to a random tile like in Carc. There is still a lot of luck involved, however. You can minimize the luck in Carc by not building cities that can only be completed by 1 or 2 tiles, but even when you only create simple cities (or roads) to complete, you still need to rely on the luck of the draw to get them.

I think if you implemented something like Ticket to Ride rules, where you always have 5 face up tiles to pick from and can also choose to pick randomly, it will take more of the randomness out of the game. It might also make the game more competitive. While you can certainly lay tiles to screw people up, you usually only do that if the tile you pick is not helpful to you. If you had several tiles to choose from, you can pick the one your opponent really needs and play it somewhere else, you can pick the tile that would hurt your opponent the most, or you could pick the one that helps you the most.

Lastly, I’ve always brainstormed an idea of making a civilization building game with the tile laying mechanic. Sort of a combination of Civ and Settlers where you have control of the shape of the game board. Do you guys know if something like that already exists? I enjoy games like Twilight Imperium and Settlers, but half way through the game I always wish I could move a tile or rearrange the board somehow.

Piq

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As far as the second part - I don't care if it is a draw from bag or something like Ta Yüwhere you build a little brick of tiles.

Yeah, I was about to say this before you said what I just quoted, but here it is anyway:

It seems to me that most people writing here assume that all tile placement games involve drawing the tiles from a bag. What is that!? I think everyone has been brain-washed by Carcassonne, Ingenious, Tigris & Euphrates, and the like. When I think of a tile placement game, I don't just think of placing tiles that have been drawn from a bag. Be open minded.

Please say anything and everything you like in a tile placement game; not just what you like in that particular type of tile placement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Lastly, I’ve always brainstormed an idea of making a civilization building game with the tile laying mechanic. Sort of a combination of Civ and Settlers where you have control of the shape of the game board. Do you guys know if something like that already exists? I enjoy games like Twilight Imperium and Settlers, but half way through the game I always wish I could move a tile or rearrange the board somehow.

Piq

You don't move tiles in it, but have you heard of Roads & Boats? You move tile like chits, but that's just transport, which is what the game is all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like really colorful tiles in a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.