Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I have Puerto Rico and Caylus and enjoy them both, but wanted to know how does The Princes of Florence compare? I saw an earlier post that spoke about Goa and this, but wanted your thoughts around the above mentioned games.

Thanks for helping.

Best,
Madhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Hi All,

I have Puerto Rico and Caylus and enjoy them both, but wanted to know how does The Princes of Florence compare? I saw an earlier post that spoke about Goa and this, but wanted your thoughts around the above mentioned games.

Thanks for helping.

Best,
Madhu

Not very similar - Princes is an auction game, there's more similarity between Princes and Goa for that reason.

Would you like Princes if you like Caylus and Puerto Rico? - depends if you like the auction mechanic or not really. There are multiple routes to victory in Princes (put on big works, put on lots of works, build etc) and you need to plan, like in the 2 games you mention - but game play is different. Also depends on how many people you usually have for gaming, Princes really needs 4-5 to shine.

Best to check out the reviews (or comments) to see if it sounds like a game that appeals to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Nick. POF is a completely different game to Caylus or PR. It has a similar complexity (maybe slightly simpler) but the gameplay is different. POF seems to be an acquired taste. I like it, but I have trouble finding people to play it with. It does have a keen fan base, and a good rating on BGG, but it is not a casual players game. If possible, try before you buy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing worthy of consideration is the number of players you tend to have available. In my opinion PoF is a fine game for 5 players but diminishes rapidy with less than that. Compared to PR and Caylus which play very well with 3 or 4 players and reasonably with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prince of florence doesn't play at all like PR or Caylus and compared with goa, the only similarity that I could find would be the auction system that's all. PoF is a good game but needs to be played by 3 or more players as per PR and Caylus realy work well in a 2 player game. Goa works very well at 2 players or more. I would recommand Goa before PoF. But both are good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Hi All,

I have Puerto Rico and Caylus and enjoy them both, but wanted to know how does The Princes of Florence compare?
BADLY.

IMO, PoF is almost unplayable with 5 people - and some are saying that's what its sweet spot is? surprise

I don't even like playing Caylus or Puerto Rico, and I'd still recommend people to play those instead of 5-player PoF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the responses.Well being in India is a difficult place to try out board games as we do not have access to any one of them and have to get it through friends and family who travel outside :-( but one thing is emerging that PoF might not be the greatest pick for a smaller group say 2-4.

Will probably go in for Goa in that case.

Thanks again,
Madhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
IMO, PoF is almost unplayable with 5 people - and some are saying that's what its sweet spot is? surprise

I don't even like playing Caylus or Puerto Rico, and I'd still recommend people to play those instead of 5-player PoF.

PoF is my top rated game and I will only play with 5 players because it is fiercely competitive with 5 players. It pales with 4 or less (everyone gets what they want at some point and it becomes a simple game of efficiency).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Beckey
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
madhujith wrote:
Hi All,

I have Puerto Rico and Caylus and enjoy them both, but wanted to know how does The Princes of Florence compare?
BADLY.

I obviously would recommend Princes of Florence over Goa, regardless of the number of players! However, Princes of Florence is not very good when playing against inexperienced players. The exception being if new players have been taught basic concepts, such as auction values, standard actions for Round 1 (buying 1 Profession Card and 1 Freedom,) the fight for Best Work, properly converting Florin from Works and so forth.

For a better understanding of the game, I recommend reading the strategy articles written by Linnaeus. Below is the first in the series of 3 articles:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/79193
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.