Popular Tags: eckas_xmas_miracle [+] [View All]
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may seem like an insignificance to many, and there are so many happy gaming couples on this site that this is certainly nothing new. But to me, this is one of "those" moments that is making me burst with happiness and pride and I simply couldn't let it pass without making an official BGG announcement.

My beautiful and wonderful and exceptional love of my life has NEVER been able to tap into any of my enthusiasm for board games. I think she thought my hobby was a bit weird and my mates a bit geeky but love forgives and so she didn't ridicule. She let me build a permanent games shed! She just shook her head in quiet dismay.

I tried to get her involved. I tried card games, I tried Incan Gold, Lost Cities and Carcassonne. I went the other way and tried her on 1960 thinking maybe the "lightness" was what was destroying any interest. She is after all very highly qualified and intelligent - and did I mention beautiful to boot?!

Well, my friend arrived with Ticket to Ride the other day and to be sociable she sat down with the two of us and my 9 yo son to chat and join in.

I got home tonight (it's late night shopping here) and she suggested we go out to dinner - right near the local games store. And on the way past she said "I have a confession to make, that game has been bugging me and I think we should get it...NOW!" She burst out laughing because in the middle of the mall I almost burst into tears of pure and un adulterated joy!

MY WIFE OWNS A GAME!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this a good example of a Christmas miracle?

Thank you for posting it, maybe some people think that this is an irrelevant post, but you can bet that if/when something similar happens to me I will be letting all of you know!!

Happy new year Eric!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Isn't this a good example of a Christmas miracle?

Thank you for posting it, maybe some people think that this is an irrelevant post, but you can bet that if/when something similar happens to me I will be letting all of you know!!

Happy new year Eric!

Thankyou Antonio, and a very Happy New Year to you too.

It may seem a ridiculous over reaction but I quite literally shed tears of joy. I'm still choked up about it. As a complete family we perused the shelves of the shop and this time ALL of us were genuinely interested. My wife checked out other Days of Wonder games and showed great interest in Cleopatra. My 9 yo son God Bless him shoved BattleLore into her hands pointing out to her that it too is by Days of Wonder. I didn't think it could get any better...

...until we got home and she couldn't wait to tear the shrink off, set it up and call for an immediate family play!

Happy New Year indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schultz
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar story here. I've been married for 15 years and in all that time my lovely wife never once suggested playing a game as a way of spending time together. On New Years Eve we got together with two other couples to play Settlers of Catan and Citadels. The next day we were talking about the previous night's activities and for some reason I mentioned that I had found rules online for a 2-player variant for Citadels. She actually said, "Really? We should play that one some night this week." I could have shed a tear if I hadn't been so completely stunned. Could this be the transition to the 'next level' of our relationship? LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
robdnose wrote:
I mentioned that I had found rules online for a 2-player variant for Citadels.

Aren't there rules for two players included in the rulebook? I know there are in the edition I have (FF with the Dark City Expansion included).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Hold on -- I don't think we can provide proper feedback on this critical situation without photos of your wife.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a lucky man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife won't stop!! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you know Dave, after she saw how hot you got watching her tear off shrink wrap....

Ah, the lives of geeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off and most importantly - congratulations, man!
That's awesome to have that feeling of being able to share that important part of your life and interests with your wife.

Secondly, I can't believe that you seriously made an attempt to interest your wife in boardgaming if you did not have her play Ticket to Ride already, before this New Year's.

I mean, it's only THE gateway boardgame...

Incan Gold ya did good on, and I'm surprised she wouldn't go for that, but Lost Cities and Carcasonne are pretty iffy games to pitch your games tent on IMO.

And DEFINATELY go for Cleopatra if she ends up settling in to TtR well and wants another game someday (don't push it! take it's time...)
(Here's a guess - maybe she's the kind of gamer that likes bits, and wants to tangibly hold them and manipulate them as part of the gaming experience. Many gamers don't "go" for cards alone.... which gives Cleopatra a HUGE plus)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
    Hold on -- I don't think we can provide proper feedback on this critical situation without photos of your wife.

You're absolutely right. I've simply GOT to plunge into the world of up loading images. I've got the construction and workings of the Games Shed, my kids warming into the hobby (well in my Son's case "bolting in with glee" would be a more apt description) and now photo's of our latest convert - my wife.

I'm back on shift now so tomorrow I'll have to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one of these moments today...

We were at Target, and found Marvel Heroscape at half price ($12.48). I was going to buy one, and my wife said "Buy a second one, it will make good trade bait."

I kept thinking, 'Who are you, and what have you done with my wife..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've been a gamer my entire life. You would think that my parents, wonderful, effective, loving human beings that they are, would recognize that I am a gamer and would get me something gamer for my birthday or the holidays... but no. Year in and year out, socks and shirts. If I ask for games? Socks and shirts. If I specifically link to an item for sale on a well known website with a "buy it now" link? Socks and shirts.

A few years back, they gave me a beautiful Land's End black leather backpack. It was one of the happiest moments in my (rather sad and pointless) life. Because they didn't get me the bag just to get it. They got me the bag to carry my gamer stuff. It's the closest they have ever come to understanding and accepting my hobbies.

So, I understand small miracles long in coming. Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GANDON François
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. I can understand your emotion. Not only because your wife eventually entered your gaming realm and showed enough interest to actually BUY a game. But because this means the two of you are even closer now and something happened that you did not think the person you live with was capable of. There are more surprises to life than in a game of Puerto Rico ;-) And that's good news !
Enjoy you new gaming / couple life !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I know my life has been enriched immeasurably since I got together with another gamer, it is wonderful to be able to share the hobby in any way you can!

Now that you know she likes Ticket to Ride, you'll surely have success with Transamerica. Then, you can graduate to Santa Fe Rails, Union Pacific... when you think she's ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hubbard
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RE:
Quote:
These stories of couples' gaming bliss sound alien to me. My wife had wanted to try Twilight Struggle because she likes history, but due to her inability to concentrate for long stretches of time, we had to jettison the project. I'm resigned to insufficient gaming spells of Bohnanza and the like.

I'm with you, THERE, man.

All my wife ever wanted to play was Yahtzee and Balderdash.
Luckily she chose to become my 'ex', and all I have to do is scrounge up enough players (and TIME!) to play whatever I want .

Back to the thread: Kudos to YOU, Eric. Sounds like you have a 'keeper'! Best of luck, and many happy memories to you.

EDIT: Added back to thread comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paracletus3 wrote:
Sounds like you have a 'keeper'!

It is my greatest good fortune that I've always known this, from 3 weeks after I met her. My wife of 13 years didn't have to buy a game or ever play one for this to be so. How she copes with me is beyond my comprehension at times and I remind myself to count my blessings that she does. My fear is not that she'll ever let me down, but that I'll dissappoint her.

Gawd, I can't choke up now - I'm at work and am supposed to be a tough firie not a big softy mush!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife looks on Tanga for me and asks if we have it already. When I get games from Tanga, she wants to see them when I open the box. She's played almost all the hard games I have, beating me regularly at them. She bought me Liar's Dice for christmas a couple years ago.

She, however doesn't like to play a lot, probably once a week or less. She doesn't like playing new games unless she's in the mood for them and she doesn't like 2 player games all that much (which I understand, it's best to play with 3 to 5 people in my eyes.) So I am very happy. If it was up to me, I would game every day and night, but the little I get is plenty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This could be like GIFT OF THE MAGI. You could secretly sell all your games to buy her make-up and stuff to make her look even more beautiful while she sells all her moisturizer and skin toner to buy you TICKET TO RIDE. You wouldn't have all your games, and her skin would get dry and chapped. But you would still have love.
O. Henry is probably spinning in his grave right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
ecka wrote:
Well, my friend arrived with Ticket to Ride the other day and to be sociable she sat down with the two of us and my 9 yo son to chat and join in...she said "I have a confession to make, that game has been bugging me and I think we should get it...NOW!"

And this is precisely why Ticket to Ride is deserving of a "10" rating. It had a similar effect on my wife as well.

Congratulations, ecka. It sounds like 2008 is off to a wonderful start for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt King
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Beowulf wrote:
ecka wrote:
Well, my friend arrived with Ticket to Ride the other day and to be sociable she sat down with the two of us and my 9 yo son to chat and join in...she said "I have a confession to make, that game has been bugging me and I think we should get it...NOW!"

And this is precisely why Ticket to Ride is deserving of a "10" rating. It had a similar effect on my wife as well.
I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Just because a game gets a great reaction from a reluctant gamer doesn't mean it deserves any special rating. My mom and her friends will always love Phase 10. If I want to get them in a game involving cards, all I have to do is mention it, and they'll immediately play if they have the time. However, that fact doesn't make this a good game. Nor does it elevate Ticket to Ride to the "always willing to play" category in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Ticket To Ride was the one that got my g/f interested in boardgames about 2 years ago.

She isn't obsessed with boardgames and miniatures like I am, but she shows an interest and has even asked me if I wanted to play a game every now and then.

Since then, she now plays (and enjoys) games such as Dungeon Twister, Cleopatra, Tannhauser, Battlelore, Last Night on Earth (that one surprised me), The Confrontation... yesterday we went down to Eureka Miniatures and I picked up some Teddy Bear 28mm miniatures as she 'wants to have a go at painting them'!!!!

It's a great feeling Eric!! I know what you mean!

Sincere congratulations. (hope the fire season isn't too bad for you this year)

Cheers,
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife will play Phoenix, Fjords, Battle Line, Hive and Daytona 500--when the time is right. By the time the kids go to bed she needs time for herself and doesn't want to burn it playing games, which I understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystic Hood
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my two female friends love Ticket to Ride. They want to play it all the time. I always opt out and pull out my PSP. I'm such a bore.

Anyway, for those who don't usually play games, Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride are definitely two games to have handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Day
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Good for you with your wife entering one of your worlds. My wife enjoys games and tries but does not have the attention span for my long strategy games. Fortunatly she understands and I get to regularly hang with my friends and do game days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.