Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised by how basic the "Basic Game" of Flight Leader turned out.

My only experience with any type of boardgames dealing with flying comes from playing Blue Max many, many years ago (when it was released), and more recently Federation Commander. As I recall, neither of those games has as simple a basic game.

Last night I set up the game and ran through a complete turn with four airplanes. It took less than two hours (set-up, rules reading, playing out the turn), and I feel confident enough to explain the rules to others, too. That's generally not the case with wargames, for me anyway.

The mechanices are very interesting, too. I was taken by how intuitive the system seems to operate, especially the use of the "cockpit" card which drives the game.

So, I'm hoping the advanced game, as found in the "Pilot's Manual," doesn't muck up such a fine system.

Regardless, I think my Dad will enjoy playing Flight Leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Buse
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Flight Leader would be fun play with miniatures, either 1/72 or 1/144.
I feel the Need for Speed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Let's kick the tires and light some fires" laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a fun little game. It focuses more on element tactics than flight mechanics and that seems to drive off the hard core tactical gamers who are more focused on those differences between the aircraft than the pilots/training/doctrine. I suppose those guys could be called 'air-heads' (similar to 'tread-heads' in tank games). Note that I would fall in to the 'air-head' category because I often cringe at the oversimplifications of the flight mechanics (a result of my B.S. in Aeronautical Engineering is how I console myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.