Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background: The Middle East after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire is an unstable area. The increasing importance of Middle Eastern Oil encourages superpower rivalry and a social structure in which a small elite grows rich quickly while the bullk of the population suffers. Since the bullk of that population are Muslims, Muslim preachers of social justice can gain a powerful following. Political upheaval has taken various forms across the region, with some Islamic revolutionary movements failing to seize power, like the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. The clearest example of an Islamic revolution to date was the 1979 Iranian Revolution in which the Shah of Iran, an American ally, was ousted from power and replaced as ruler by a religous leader, Ayatollah Khomeinei. There does not appear to be any example of two simultaneous Islamic revolutions in seperate countries, but it is theoretically possible.

Effect: Soviet 4 OPs recurring event. Remove all US influence in 2 of the following countries: Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Gulf States, Iraq, Iran.

Strategy: This is a powerful and nasty card. Unlike (say) Independent Reds, the countries affected include crucial battlegrounds that the USA neglects at its peril, particularly considering the OPEC card. Its recurring nature is a futher problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
A very nasty event indeed, and almost always immediately shot into space by the US. At times I think this card is overpowered. The OPs gained by the US playing this card usually cannot replace the Influence lost by the event, unless two 2 Stability countries are the targets, and the US just happens to have Influence in neighboring countries. Honestly, I wish this were a starred event, which I think would be a simple move to balance the game a bit more.

Again, this card makes piddling Lebanon a must-have for the USA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only for Lebanon to get hit in the Late War with Marine Barracks Bombing...yeah the Middle East is a really unfriendly place for the USA

Things don't change much, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Chace
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Gulf States are actually immune from it too. If the opportunity comes up I like to put an influence in there as the US from Puppet Govermnents or whatever just to make sure I won't get run out of there altogether. It's not really a priority but it can be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.