Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Guritza
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night the wife out of the blue said lets play a game! After quick banter back and forth about our options we both settled on Ticket to Ride: Europe. This seemed to be the common ground because as of late she has been wiping the floor with me in Guillotine and I have showed no mercy in Commands and Colors: Ancients.

In the past we have played TTR and TTR: E and the games are always close and by the end of the game they can go either way in the final scoring.

It had been a while for both of us playing TTR: E so a quick recap of the rules and we were off and running in a 2 player game.

The first ten rounds were the typical build up of cards and planning your routes. We had playful banter and conversation about life in general; a pleasant gaming experience. This quickly turned sour once trains started hitting the map. As many of you know in a two player game when you are both fighting over the same part of the board it gets nasty.

Both of us had a long route ending in Spain. The routes in and out of Spain were hotly contested and quickly closed off. I think we both abandoned our plans of completing tickets and tried to ensure the other would not be able to complete their routes. The tension hit a paramount when my loving wife looked at me and simple stated, “You have so screwed me!” to which I quickly rebutted, “You screwed me first!”

Hell has no fury like a woman who just got hosed in Ticket to Ride.

At this point we both poured out our remaining trains and started to count how many trains we had left so the game could quickly turn into a land grab exercise. As we both simultaneously dumped out the remaining trains we both had look of bewilderment, shock and then an overwhelming sense of how dumb we were.

Sitting perfectly in the pile of trains were three glorious train stations. Two sets of eyes darted over the board and after a few minutes of card reorganization and mental calculations a collective sign of relief was had by my wife and I. The game had turned from a cut throat land grab resulting in me possible sleeping on the couch to a race to finish our routes with our remaining trains.

By the end I was able to finish all my routes and my wife fell short of her longest route. The final score was 119 to 71. If she had completed her long route it would have been 119 to 91. A good game in the end but it had to be rescued by both of us remembering we had train stations mid way through the game.

Moral of the Story:
1) Remember the rules
2) Cut Throat Games can lead to marriage issues
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is for this very reason why TtR:E is the only version I own. My wife and I tend to do a lot of 2-player gaming, but she absolutely hates games with an asshat factor.

But wouldn't her score have been 111 (there should be a 40 or 42 point swing, depending on the route).

Glad you didn't have to 'couch' it. I haven't had to yet either, but it has been close!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of a story some friends told me called "The Station that Saved Christmas". Apparently tensions were high one holiday season after playing some tense games of original TTR. Once Europe came out with stations to help finish routes, tensions eased and Christmas went ahead as schedualed.

I can also relate on tense games causing relational woes. This is why the Abbey in the new Carcassonne expansion is so key to games between my wife and I. No longer will that "one tile" be so crucial, and the wrong player drawing it be such a huge problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.