Subject: Make the quacking stop! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Cross
United States
Atkinson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
The twelve little ducks are swimming in the pond. Help them find their homes. Doesn't sound so bad, right? Wrong, Lucky Ducks is one of the most annoying kids games ever.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy kids games. My daughter and I play them all the time. We love games like Loopin' Louie, Gulo Gulo, and Attacktix. And the Lucky Ducks game itself really isn't all the bad (although it is definitely only for very young children). It's the quacking. It is so loud and annoying. The worst part is that it doesn't end when the game is over. While your putting it away, the slightest bump will turn the game on again and you have to pull the box out and turn it off again. I still haven't figured out a good way to deal with this except to take out the batteries every time.

The game itself is very simple. Each player has a "nest" which shows you the color and shape of the ducks you are looking for. The ducks are mixed and placed on the "pond" which rotates when the game is turned on. The players take turns picking up ducks and checking the bottom to see if the shape and color match the one you are looking for.

This helps teach children color and shape recognition, especially if you have them say the shape and color of each duck you pick up. Young children really enjoy watching the ducks "swim" around the pond. If only there was a way to stop the quacking or at least turn it down to a tolerable volume, the game would be MUCH better. But as it stands now, I usually hide Lucky Ducks in the back of the closet and pray my daughter doesn't request it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your quacking sounds descriptions take up the majority of your review, yet you didn't look at the frontpage of the BGG entry for this game?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/35197#35197

Quote:
We made an interesting discovery regarding this game. As far as I can tell it's not documented. Assuming the screw hole is up, if you remove the battery on the right you won't get the high pitched electronic quacking sounds. The rest of the game will continue to function as normal and is still quite noisy but much more tolerable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
United States
Atkinson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
reapersaurus wrote:
Your quacking sounds descriptions take up the majority of your review, yet you didn't look at the frontpage of the BGG entry for this game?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/35197#35197

Quote:
We made an interesting discovery regarding this game. As far as I can tell it's not documented. Assuming the screw hole is up, if you remove the battery on the right you won't get the high pitched electronic quacking sounds. The rest of the game will continue to function as normal and is still quite noisy but much more tolerable.

I actually did see (and try) that suggestion. Unfortunately, that must be for a different version of the game. Taking out either battery makes the entire game stop working (which isn't a bad thing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.