Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Introduction:
This was a Christmas present from a friend and I was expecting to mildly enjoy the game, after all its just a roll and move, how fun can it be? All it is is Advanced Chutes and Ladders, roll a dice and move. But the huge difference is you can go left OR right. Yes, there is one choice per turn and that is it...

Components:
The cards are nice and should stand up to a few games. The artwork is very good and the cards are clear and easy to understand. The only problem is it is a pain to separate the cards for the first play as they are all stuck together.

The board is very pretty and oversized for what is required. Not a huge complaint, but it could have been made a bit smaller and still worked as well. There are a couple of glaring errors on the board that should have been there, mainly the Desert which should say "Lose a life and draw 1 card" instead of just "Lose a life".

The character cutouts are of good quality. They are well illustrated and are very large so it is easy to find them on the board.

Rules:
Well the rulebook is very unclear and has a few errors in it that should have been corrected in the first proofread. There are several places in which the rules are no longer in effect because they apply to an older edition. In other places, there is plenty of ambiguity that requires a consulting of the FAQ.

In addition, a few of the characters are unplayable as printed and required errata to make them play as they were originally intended. All rough edges that should not have existed if proper proofreading and playtesting were completed.

Thoughts:
The game is just a roll and move. That's it, there is nothing else to the game. Roll the dice, and decide to move left or right. Usually the choice is between: move left and bad $#!7 happens or move right and draw two cards. Hmm... what should I choose? There is no strategy in the game, it is purely luck based and boils down in to a race to the finish.

It is absolutely DUMB AS HELL, but it is still a ton of fun. How's that for an oxymoron? It requires no intelligence and could be played by trained monkeys. If you can play Chutes and Ladders, this game requires no additional thinking. But, somehow it is very fun. You want to make your character better, you revel in watching your fellow characters fail miserably when outmatched, and you enjoy taking the Crow of Command and making everyone else die.

The game taps in to that childhood desire to hear fairytales and this game somehow involves you in them, despite the lack of anything beyond roll and move.

8/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Arbelaez
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:
Introduction:
This was a Christmas present from a friend...

After reading your review, I'd be scared to have to give you presents

Tell us what you thought of your other christmas presents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
rarbelaez wrote:
badweasel wrote:
Introduction:
This was a Christmas present from a friend...

After reading your review, I'd be scared to have to give you presents

Tell us what you thought of your other christmas presents

Haha, well I also got Runebound, Railroad Tycoon and Wings of War: Dawn of War. I really like RRT and want to play it again before giving a full analysis. Really like Runebound as a singleplayer game, kind of blah as a multiplayer game. WoWoW is decent but I haven't had a shot to play it with more than three players so far, I have liked but not loved what I played.

My friend fully knew my basic opinion of Talisman before getting it for me. He figured I would still enjoy it despite the relatively simple gameplay. And he was right, it's very fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Copple
United States
Northfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree whole heartedly with your assessment.I played 3-4 games with 2 people and it was tolerable except that whomever got the random spell won the game, as losing all your str or spr just wipes you out of contention.

Then played with 4 people. Man what a snooze fest. I made it to the crown quickly and watched as my friends, who werent even close to being able to get there foundered around while I rolled misses for 20 minutes. I get the feeling this game wont see the table again.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Talisman is mind numbingly simple- but as you said, the whole point of the game is to have a laugh and see what happens rather then compete desperately hard to win. The deserts with their "lose 1 life" aren't typos either- that IS all that happens when you go there (the text is exactly the same as Talisman 2nd)!
I also can't believe they have left the rubbish Crown of Command rules in! It's the same in 2nd Edition and we just play it so that the first to the centre wins rather then having to sit in the middle of the board and roll dice for the rest of the game = so boring.
Until they bring out the expansions I won't bother getting this version of the game, I already have 2nd edition with enough expansions to make the game much more interesting then this 4th edition.
Thanks for the review goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Narlgoth wrote:
The deserts with their "lose 1 life" aren't typos either- that IS all that happens when you go there (the text is exactly the same as Talisman 2nd)!

This was changed in the FAQ to "Lose 1 life and draw 1 card," as the board has a mixture of the two descriptions printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McMahon
Australia
flag msg tools
Really not the biggest fan of Talisman, and you're right - it seriously is advanced Snakes and Ladders. In fact, there are even spaces you land on that send you back to the start.

I figured, given the game's popularity, that it would be a good game despite the lack of player control. I was severely disappointed.

We bought Tomb along with Talisman, and I loved Tomb (I found the rules straight forward, and the game competitive and fun) but after the first hour and a half of Talisman and horrible dice rolls, I realised I wasn't losing because I was bad at the game - I was losing because the dice randomly decided I was. I ended up winning, but even then the glory was taken out of it when I reminded myself you do nothing but do what the game tells you.

Sorry for those who love Talisman, but I need something a little more meaningful in my boardgame experiences :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Zyzyx66 wrote:
Really not the biggest fan of Talisman, and you're right - it seriously is advanced Snakes and Ladders. In fact, there are even spaces you land on that send you back to the start.

I figured, given the game's popularity, that it would be a good game despite the lack of player control. I was severely disappointed.

We bought Tomb along with Talisman, and I loved Tomb (I found the rules straight forward, and the game competitive and fun) but after the first hour and a half of Talisman and horrible dice rolls, I realised I wasn't losing because I was bad at the game - I was losing because the dice randomly decided I was. I ended up winning, but even then the glory was taken out of it when I reminded myself you do nothing but do what the game tells you.

Sorry for those who love Talisman, but I need something a little more meaningful in my boardgame experiences

Talisman is fun every once and a while and mixes well with a more social atmosphere. No one really needs to pay that much attention to the game and you can laugh at the crap happening to others.

Granted it can drag, but it can be dumb fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman is by far more about the experience than the game but I'd hardly call it advanced Chutes and Ladders as your characters do build up strength, craft, items, and followers. Maybe I missed that the last time I played Chutes and Ladders 30+ years ago.

It's beer and pretzels fun and you are correct that it is sometimes more fun to see other character's bad luck more than your character's good luck.

People that aren't afraid to ham it up a bit are a plus for this game where that doesn't hold for a game like Chess or Go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.