21 Posts

Flames of War: The World War II Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Have any of you heard of Flames of war rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt West
New Zealand
flag msg tools
i am from new zealand and here down under we have an exelent minature war game called flames of war, using small metal figurines.

if any body has heard of them please let me know as i am the only "geek" in my cruddy little school who models them, and would like someone to talk to about them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hickman
United States
Huntington Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In California Flames of War seems to be the most popular set of
WWII miniature rules now. I have not played Flames of War, but every convention I have been to has had Flames of War tournaments and/or scenario games. Flames of War seems to appeal to the 40k crowd.

Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of the nominated games in the book http://www.amazon.com/Hobby-Games-Best-James-Lowder/dp/19324...

Of course those aren't the 100 best hobby games - the introduction essentially admits as such - but it's still an excellent read, especially for the games you haven't played, and some of the insights offered. (Martin Wallace on Power Grid for example.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11168

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Knight
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kia Ora Matt,

Flames of War have a forum as well: http://flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=126 - that is dedicated to the game. There are also 5 clubs in NZ (http://flamesofwar.com/clubs.aspx?region=1214) which may be of use, depending on where you are.

If you're in Auckland, I know of a wargames store that runs pretty regular games on weekends - http://www.urbanwarfare.co.nz/

As well as that, check out this forum - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/54/forum/1 - it's for Kiwis and has a bunch of posts from all over the country, with many from war gamers.

Hope this helps,
Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Looks like you came to the right place buddy! Welcome to the Geek!

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, plenty of FOW players in new zealand, where are you? I used to play a lot, untill I realized there were hex and counter games... Let me know I can put you in touch with some in your community if you tell me your area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
New Zealand
flag msg tools
hi, i know that there are flames of war clubs in new zealand and fourms, but all they talk about is how well they can paint their models, and i like to talk about all flames of war stuff. i am from wanganui new zealand and have a large 2000 point army of german panzergrenadirs. and i happen to tknow the people who made the flames of war models, and went to some of their first battles in palmerston north, so i have a knowledge of all the clubs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Dean_H wrote:
In California Flames of War seems to be the most popular set of
WWII miniature rules now. I have not played Flames of War, but every convention I have been to has had Flames of War tournaments and/or scenario games. Flames of War seems to appeal to the 40k crowd.

Dean

Not really the 40K crowd- more the crowd that is tired of playing WWII games where you keep track of tons of details but then never finish the game itself.

I give a 7 out of 10 on the 'realism' scale- it gives pretty reasonable results even if some of the particulars can be a little strange. However, I give it a 9 out of 10 as a GAME- very balanced, very tight, easy to pick up, simplistic but not simple, with a lot of very real choices to be made. Plus, it uses a very tight point system that allows otherwise 'uncompetitive' lists like the Romanians or the Italians to be very competitive.

Overall, I am a fan, even if I do have some quibbles with the game.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
New Zealand
flag msg tools
i agree, it is very real and i like the fact that the tides of the battle can change at any moment, and you can start playing then drop it, then play again, i give it a 9.5 out of ten, because fo the size of the models, it they were just a bit bigger it would look like there were more of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a very accessible ruleset and the company supports the game with new releases all the time, both in supplements and in miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
New Zealand
flag msg tools
thats right, the company is always froducing us more models to expand the realism, and top give us mo to model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
You are aware that there are other manufacturers of 15mm WWII models out there, though, right?

Old Glory has some quite nice models (some less so, I really like Battle Honors and Peter Pig is just wonderful. QRF is pretty good as well.

You don't HAVE to buy Battlefront's models for FOW unless you WANT to. Some of their stuff is pretty good (they do have some nice tanks), but I'm not as fond of their new sculpts for infantry.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
New Zealand
flag msg tools
i like their models because of the way not all the men have an identical lay out, and i like the way they hold their guns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Dean_H wrote:
Flames of War seems to appeal to the 40k crowd.
Dean

Not really the 40K crowd- more the crowd that is tired of playing WWII games where you keep track of tons of details but then never finish the game itself.
Darilian

Sorry I have to agree with Dean. I would say that half of the FOW players have not even played another WWII rules set, or even realize that there are dozens of others out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Azzarc wrote:
Darilian wrote:
Dean_H wrote:
Flames of War seems to appeal to the 40k crowd.
Dean

Darilian

Sorry I have to agree with Dean. I would say that half of the FOW players have not even played another WWII rules set, or even realize that there are dozens of others out there.

Agreed. I've played a lot of flames of war, or used to. Most players have only played a hand full of systems, maybe 40k, DBM or a few others. In fact most miniature gamers, at least in new zealand have not played many games in general.

Matt if you want to start a discussion about FoW try starting a thread in the FoW forum on this site. I don't know how many people will post, but I'm happy to discuss stuff if you would like. I agree the battlefront forum community is rather poor, the community here is tons better, but I don't know what the interest is like in FoW (in terms of starting discussions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
New Zealand
flag msg tools
if you read the title of the threas all i am wanting is to find out if anybody but kiwis have flames of war, because when i first started, way back when it was made i heard them saying it is only in new zealand, and i have joined fow threds, and as i said they are garbage, and too many people spam on them and take away from the proper discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a very well supported forum on the Battlefront website www.flamesofwar.com

I started playing FoW about 6 months ago after playing DBM ancients for nearly a decade. For me FoW is a great fun game with a reasonable semblance of reailty.

I played a couple of 600 point games today at Stabcon (the boardgames con that I run with my better half) and I had a fair number of very interested spectators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure FOW is popular here in the states.

Recruits, a miniatures gaming convention I am involved with, has a large FOW tournament.

Here are some pictures of the con, including the FOW tournament.
http://www.mtswebsites.com/recruits/gallery/Spring07/S07.php...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Metzker

Germantown
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FoW is quite popular in the states. If you're curious enough, just check out the Battlefront forums, their Clubs & Opponent finder forum is quite active.

I've never had any issues on their forums, always had positive replies to issues / questions. I've seen a lot of negative postings / flame wars on other miniatures sites (such as the miniature page), mostly slamming FoW due to some of the game's mechanics, and the fact that it is more game than simulation (points based armies, etc. Ahistorical lists for gaming reasons, etc.) Have to admit some of the special rules do get annoying at times, but all in all it is a fun game. The fact I have a number of opponents in my area to play against helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin fraser
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FOW is also popular here in Canada!

We are 6 to play the game in Quebec city, but i know about 12 more that play at the Montreal Gamers world location.

They have official tournaments sponsored by FOW directly!

I have 3 armies, DAK, 8th army and german para! My son have the russians.

Now trying to get rid a some italians!

We love the game, but find the rules to be more based on a game than the real thing like Squad Leader is. But ASL is so complicated that we stick to FOW.

McFly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.