Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two variants I created to change things I don't like about the game. Feel free to ignore them.
Opportunity fire: No more will a character run through 2 doors, shoot someone and run back out to their original space while everyone else stands there like dummies. I have not changed the original rules (even the pathetic counterattack rule), just added a new action. The grenade rules are completely different, however.

1) Opportunity fire.
New action:
a) Place one of the character's unused equipment tokens character side up next to (or underneath) the figure. It does not actually occupy a space, it is just there to mark that the character may use opportunity fire.

b) During an enemy action phase, if the enemy enters a space or takes an action while on the same path as a character with an opp fire token, you may remove that token and immediately make an attack. Normal rules for combat (range, etc.) apply. Resolve the opp fire after the enemy enters the space or after they have resolved their action.

c) Players must be allowed a chance to declare opp fire in each space entered. If a character doesn't fire, however, they can't go back and take it later.
example you cant't use your character to move, shoot, move back out of sight without allowing an enemy to fire back after the first move or after shooting. On the other hand, if the character with an opp fire token doesn't choose to fire, once the moving character has moved out of sight he can't say "I use my opportunity fire before you shoot" as he is too late.

d) A character exiting a space in the same path cannot be attacked, but they could be attacked in the space they move into (if it is in the correct path).

e) if a character with an opp fire token moves, or takes any other action, remove the token. Opp fire tokens can only be used to fire once, but you can place them again as your action next turn.

f) Option: If you think Opp fire is too powerful, change the combat rolls so that the character must roll higher, not equal or higher, to hit.

2) Grenades.
Change:
a) grenades can be thrown into any space in the same path.

b) place the grenade token into the target space. The target space may be occupied.

c) Grenades detonate only at the end of the throwing character's turn (so he can move, throw, move out of range and then resolve the grenade attack).

d) Roll for every character in the same path: A character in the same or adjacent space takes 1 automatic wound, in addition to any rolled hit (as normal rules). Characters 2 or more spaces away only take a hit from their combat roll.

e) option 1: A character in the same space may smother a grenade (by throwing themselves on it!) That character is immediately killed, but no other character in the room is injured. Characters with "not dead yet" can survive the blast by using their token as normal.

f) option 2: A character in the grenade space may try to throw the grenade away. This occurs immediately before the grenade explodes. Make a combat roll against a difficulty of 8. If any success occurs, the character may either throw it to any space in the same path (resolve the grenade immediately, as per d) above; alternatively, he gets rid of it safely (no-one takes any damage-it is dropped out a window, down a grate or something).

g) option 3: A character throwing a grenade can "cook" it first: the character pulls the pin then waits a few seconds before throwing it.
If a character does this, the grenade explodes immediately in the target space, and options 1 and 2 above cannot be used. Note: the thrower will also be hit and must roll for damage, as he will be in the same path.

Untried variants:
a) allow characters that do not move to use 2 actions instead of 1. If they fire twice, it may be at the same or a different target. The enemy may use opp fire after the first or second actions, as mormal

b) grenade explosions immediately remove all opp fire tokens in the same path.

c) Characters cooking a grenade must roll 1 die: on a roll of "1" the grenade explodes before they throw it! Resolve the explosion immediately in the thrower's space.

d) Grenades thrown into a space in more than one path can affect only their own space, every adjacent space (on all paths) and all characters in any one of the original paths. The thrower chooses which path is affected. Only paths present in the target space are eligable to be chosen. This prevents grenades from affecting more than one "room", but still affects everyone in the doorway (on both sides of the door). If the character has "cooked the grenade", he must choose the path that he occupies (so he will always be hit by the blast).

e) If grenade option 1 (target throws grenade back) is chosen, the target can only throw the grenade back a maximum of 2 spaces for each success. The character can still dispose of the grenade instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. seems everyone Did ignore them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldyn Gryphon
United States
Mesquite
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't ignore them. I read them the first time I got the geekmail about them. I just read them again as I was cleaning out my geekmailbox and I and not deleting the link. Sadly I just have not gotten this to the table yet. I will drop you a line someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Kay
msg tools
I have recently bought the game and was quite disappointed with the lack of tactical opportunities in it.
These rules do a great deal to lessen the pain.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b. portly

Vancouver
B.C.
msg tools
In an early play of Tannhauser, one of the players did bring up the fact that it would be great to guard an area. I think they tried to replicate this with Shocktruppen tokens, but it is hard to pull off. Overwatch from Space Hulk is a successful example. It's a pretty good mechanic.

If you could incorporate an Overwatch mechanic with a risk factor, I think it could work for Tannhauser. By that I mean, it shouldn't feel like the player is simply postponing thier activation till it is convenient, there should be a wager of VPs or something. Opportunity Fire is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raynald Foret
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow, when I played this game (years ago), I came up with almost exactly the same opportunity fire rules, the main difference being I used a flag instead of an equipment.

Now that I'm returning to it, I'm thinking again to a sort of weak opportunity fire mechanism.

I think I'll make the following change :

- only heavy and automatic weapon can use opportunity fire (OF)
--> interdicting a corridor, that's why heavy weapon are brought in those confined spaces.
--> the Union needs the help ...
--> no use in pathfindind with fumigen

- you can move 1 or 2 spaces and still be placed in OF

I think the grenade rules proposed above are too game changing, but I'll keep the following : "b) grenade explosions immediately remove all opp fire tokens in the same path."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.