Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill C.
United States
Newington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or does the rulebook for this game seem to be written in a very confusing way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dimwitflathead wrote:
Is it just me or does the rulebook for this game seem to be written in a very confusing way?

Well, putting aside that it was written 30 years ago, one must understand - as game designers and writers of manuals do - that writing "rules" is difficult because readers absorb such information in many different ways. What some think is scintillating clarity others find as opaque as a wall of fudge.

Then again, it couldn't have been too confusing; it was a popular game for many years . . .

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
even as an experinced rules interpertor, this one was a little bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of problems with the rules descriptions. It's hard to find out what a "Port" is for instance, since it's not officially described. The rules section that deals with random events is numbered just one step off the numbers on the game board. And other stuff.

Still, I think it's well worth sticking with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no problem with it. Conq is one of the Great Wargames of All Time(tm).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
There are lots of problems with the rules descriptions. It's hard to find out what a "Port" is for instance, since it's not officially described. The rules section that deals with random events is numbered just one step off the numbers on the game board. And other stuff.

Still, I think it's well worth sticking with.

One of my rules booklets, the SPI version, does define a port as a settlement on an island or coastal hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.