Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite Richard Breese design is Keythedral, part of his “Key” series of games. I prefer the Café Games version, which included some modifications that elevated the game to a new level. It has been some time since I have played it, so I was happy when Nathan suggested it.

Nathan seemed to be gearing up for a long-term strategy, aiming for the higher-valued seats in the cathedral and foregoing the opportunity to purchase the lower-level seats. He took the opportunity to upgrade his cottages to houses, but was unfortunately thwarted on several turns by his opponents’ placement of workers.

Meanwhile, Astra and I were purchasing seats at a brisk pace. I was hoping this would not deny me the opportunity to purchase higher-level seats, as I was using most of my resources on every turn. Ultimately, we both were able to save enough resources and secure high-level seats. Astra proved the most adept at this, winning an impressive victory.

Finals: Astra 68, Greg 51, Jason 35, Nathan 29

Ratings: Jason 9, Greg 8.5, Astra 8, Nathan 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
gschloesser wrote:
I prefer the Café Games version, which included some modifications that elevated the game to a new level.

Nathan seemed to be gearing up for a long-term strategy, aiming for the higher-valued seats in the cathedral and foregoing the opportunity to purchase the lower-level seats.

I have a question about this - what are the differences between the Cafe Games version and other versions (I have Pro Ludo, which I thought was the same)? Your post suggests that the rules let you buy any level tile you want from the get go. Is this true?

The Pro Ludo version allows you to play with a variant, in which all the tiles start face-up, but the rules still seem to indicate you have to buy the seats in order (i.e. all the 4s before the 6s and so on).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
gschloesser wrote:
I prefer the Café Games version, which included some modifications that elevated the game to a new level.

Nathan seemed to be gearing up for a long-term strategy, aiming for the higher-valued seats in the cathedral and foregoing the opportunity to purchase the lower-level seats.

I have a question about this - what are the differences between the Cafe Games version and other versions (I have Pro Ludo, which I thought was the same)? Your post suggests that the rules let you buy any level tile you want from the get go. Is this true?

It has been a long time since I played the original version, but I consulted my review of the game, and here is what I wrote:

Although I found Keythedral intriguing, the game had one major drawback: it ended too quickly. Earning seats in the cathedral was the only source of victory points, and there were simply too few of them available. The result was a mad rush to acquire those seats. Consequently, other aspects of the game were overlooked in this dash. This sapped much of the potentially interesting aspects out of the game, and relegated it to dust-collector status on my shelf. A shame.

The game has been re-released by Pro-Ludo and Café Games. Apparently, the designer recognized this problem, and has made the necessary corrections. There are more seats available in the cathedral, and their values have been adjusted to 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12. Further, resources not spent are worth victory points at the end of the game. After playing this new version several times, I am quite satisfied with the result, which is a much more tense, more satisfying game wherein a multitude of options can be explored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.