Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a few references here to a house rule some players have implemented where rolling doubles results in a Zombie kill regardless of whether the Heroes rolls were higher than the Zombies.

Seems like there are two ways to handle this and I'm curious what people have been doing.

First is that any doubles rolls kills the Zombie (or inflicts a wound, as appropriate). However, if the Heroes roll is less than the Zombies then the Hero still takes a wound.

i.e., Hero rolls 2 and 2. Zombie rolls 4. Hero takes a wound. Zombie takes a wound.

Second is that the doubles automatically give the Hero a win, regardless.

i.e., Hero rolls 2 and 2. Zombie rolls 4. Hero wins, and takes no wound. Zombie takes a wound.

I haven't decided if we'll try this house rule, or a variation among our group, but I'm curious what thoughts on it are. I do have to say if I do use some variation on this, I'd be partial to the first example - simply because it keeps more of the danger in place for the Hero player, while adding some for the Zombie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul R
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on only a couple of plays, i kinda like the sound of the rule where the zombie still inflicted a wound on the hero if the hero's roll of doubles is lower than the zombie's, but the hero still kills the zombie. Such as in your example where a zombie rolled a 4 and the hero double two's. That is, they got hurt wounding the zombie.

A situation like this could result in a hero "going down with the ship" with dramatic outcome if a zombie and hero died simultaneously. A sacrifice indeed... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
First is that any doubles rolls kills the Zombie (or inflicts a wound, as appropriate). However, if the Heroes roll is less than the Zombies then the Hero still takes a wound.

That's how we play. Both hit each other. Using the basic rules with the folks I play with, it seems to result in a very tightly balanced game of "Die Zombies Die".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try that. I like the idea that the human is still wounded, even if he kills the Z. Thematically, seems correct.

Also, you could spot the humans a couple of weapon cards. Especially melee weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.