Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
All:

I must say that I didn't believe it.

Many individuals had reported that Rio Grande Games had gone out of their way to help the customer. Jay in particular had been mentioned several times.

I've become jaded in this country of "customer-no-service" and the shrinking empowerment of the middle class. So I often doubt such reports as shilling from interested parties.

But now I am a believer.

After taking a shot and posting to the Rio Grande site customer service request mail. I waited. Less than 24 hours later, an email response came from Jay.

I had told him that I found a thrift copy of Top Secret Spies which was missing the die and the orange marker. I asked if I was able to buy the replacement parts. I sent a separate email about a stubby power plant (wood building) in my Power Grid game (bought new).

He asked for a pittance of a payment sent to his paypal account for the Top Secret Spies parts, which barely covered the cost of the .58 stamp and bubble-mailer. $2

He didn't expect anything in return for the Power Grid piece.

Well, less than a week later and I had all three parts.

I've exchanged several emails since then, and have seen a responsive Jay probably overworking himself. But he is making diehard *no pun intended* customers out of people like me in the process.

Peace and Gaming,
Christian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay has always been of my and my GF's favorite people, going back into the late 80s. Whether it was as an RPG GM or running railroad games. He would always be helpful at cons, and never showed the stress he was constantly under. I am very happy that he found his niche with the premier importer of Euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed 100%. I've had to email Jay many a time regarding missing pieces, and the only time I heard even a pause in his response was when I managed to purchase a copy of On the Underground before his "official" release date. When I explained I did indeed have a RGG copy (and that the distributor must have jumped the gun) Jay agreed to put me on a list for when he had extra pieces. Not long after the pieces arrived.

Jay does an amazing job at supporting his customers... even more so considering the number of games he now has to support.

--

I would be remiss if I didn't add that, as a whole, every Game Publisher has had a similar attitude and I have rarely ever had problems obtaining replacements. I even had a complete set of white tokens for Tara, Seat of Kings from Surprised Stare Games in the UK sent free of charge to me in Canada.

thumbsupthumbsup to them all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
RGG is tops in my book.

I've had a very good singular experience with Fantasy Flight also. One correspondence, one replacement part sent without cost to me.

But this post is about Jay Tummelson and RGG. I've always been a fan of the product. I gravitate toward their titles first, so I am certainly biased.

Now, I tend to have a more tangible justification for my fanboy persona...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I agree. Jay has sent stuff out to me as well and I'm t'other side of the Atlantic. To be honest though I have had good after sales service from Queen as well. I think that the games industry does the after-sales bit quite well overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
The sad fact is that Jay makes sure that a certain percentage of Rio Grande Games have missing or damaged parts in order to feed his personal demon--the one that requires him to bend over backward to please people. It does sound, however, like Jay is slipping a little. The fact that he asked you to pay anything at all is an indication that he must really hate you. I wonder what you did to anger him. Did you run over one of his pet monkeys in your minivan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
The sad fact is that Jay makes sure that a certain percentage of Rio Grande Games have missing or damaged parts in order to feed his personal demon--the one that requires him to bend over backward to please people. It does sound, however, like Jay is slipping a little. The fact that he asked you to pay anything at all is an indication that he must really hate you. I wonder what you did to anger him. Did you run over one of his pet monkeys in your minivan?

Nah, I brake for monkeys.

Well, since I was honest about the copy I found being a thrift store copy, I offered to pay for the parts. I wouldn't expect anything less.

It wasn't as if I bought it and it was defective. He replaced the Power Grid piece (my purchase) for free.

Peace,
Christian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that was nice of you, and I guess it's possible that Jay was trying to make you feel better by letting you pay--but the one time that I sent Rio Grande an email mentioning that there was a hole in my strip mall where one could easily have fit a thrift store, Jay sent out a construction crew to build one, gratis. Then he lined its shelves with copies of every single RGG title, and signed the deed over to me.

That's the kind of customer service that most of us are used to from the guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter F
Sweden
Gothenburg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My next son will be named after Jay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN TODD JENSEN
United States
CLYMAN
WI
flag msg tools
Ask me about it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SABATAI wrote:

I think "Tummelson" would be an AWESOME middle name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtj608 wrote:
SABATAI wrote:

I think "Tummelson" would be an AWESOME middle name.

Hi, my name's Bill, this is my wife Morgan Fairchild, and this is our son, Tummel.

Honestly, it seems like if everyone posted every time Jay did something nice, we'd never see any other posts.

I think we should only post on those occasions where Jay prevents economic collapse in the housing market, or saves a golden-haired child from being trampled by a streetcar, and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay is awesome, even when he's wearing a chicken hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
SABATAI wrote:

Kay is alright name if he grows up to be a Grail Knight ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.