Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

I have an idea to make powerpoint presentation to use for explaining games to other people.
So the powerpoint presentation itself is not a tutorial, but people can use it while explaining the game to other people.

But I have a few question before starting the project:

1) Is it needed? Are there people that would find this useful?
2) Is it ok to just make a presentation that people can use to explain it to others, or should it be a full fledged tutorial?
3) Will it break copyright laws if I use pictures found on sites etc. (i.e. should I only use my own pictures?)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelley
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Go Bulldogs!
badge
A comical familiar for an absent-minded wizard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some may find it helpful to break out the rules into chunks like that. And if you put notes in for each slide, it basically can become a tutorial. So you can kill two birds with one stone. As for #3, that's not my area of knowledge, but I think if it's not your original, you should get permission first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Puerto Rico powerpoint slideshow posted on BGG was actually very helpful in me learning the game and basic tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, there are a few things to keep in mind ...

A recent study of the same college class taught with and without PowerPoint showed that the students with PowerPoint enjoyed the class more, but learned less.

Presenting the same information both visually and audibly inhibits memory formation. There's very, very, very expensive company that prepares PowerPoint presentations for use in lawsuits (during closing arguments, normally). They never show text that in any way duplicates, repeats, or rephrases what the lawyer is saying.

PowerPoint has an amazing ability to reduce information transfer asymptotically toward zero.

Really, really good PowerPoint is a plus. Probably the best use would be to show the game board, pieces, and moves (probably with big red arrows showing "moves here!" and the like) while the narrator explains what's going on. If you really know what you're doing, animation can be helpful.*

Really good PowerPoint is a wash: neither better nor worse that not using it.

Good PowerPoint reduces learning.

You can imagine the effects of bad PowerPoint ...

* Nearly all PowerPoint animation is so poor that it distracts the audience and inhibits learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
PowerPoint sucks. Seriously.

Unless you are very good at portraying information visually, don't even contemplate it.

If you want to do something visual form of 'splaining for a game, grab a camera and do a short video tutorial and upload it to YouTube. Just check that Scott Nicholson hasn't beat you to it

Check out this list while you're at it:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/23763/page/1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.