Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gatto
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashback: On April 1, 2006, I posted my first session report on Lost Cities, after playing a couple rounds with my wife. In that session, I stated the following:
Quote:
I'm sure we'll be pulling this off the shelf in the not too distant future!

Flashforward: Here we are on January 5, 2008, a mere 18 months later. On a whim, I suggested we dust off Lost Cities. It's not clear to me why this little game sat on the shelf for so long. I think my memories became less kind as time passed. Perhaps we weren't as "into it" as I had originally reported.

For this evening's session, we agreed that a game would consist of 3 rounds. In our first round, it seemed like every card I picked from the deck was another expedition card, as opposed to cards with genuine numbers on 'em. By contrast, my wife was dealt a great hand that only improved upon further picks. She trounced me 50-7.

And that's when I realized we would be playing this game much more frequently in the near future: she started trash-talking. angry

Well, not surprisingly, the second round was more balanced: she won 56-49. In the third round, she made some poor decisions (started an expedition too late, as she misjudged the number of cards left in the deck), and I returned the drubbing: 52 to -48. (Yes, you read that correctly).

Three round total: I won, 108-58.

Our play was much more even in the second game. Moreover, we started to develop a "rhythm", and the game went very quickly. In the end, I defeated her 128 (=47+28+53) to 120 (=47+53+20).

The bottom line: I really like this game...more than I remembered, and more than we both expected. We now have a clear grasp of the rules/scoring/strategy, suggesting to me that it almost certainly will be less than 18 months before we play it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the same thing with my wife. We played it a little when we first got it and thought "Nice, but not really too deep". Returning to it over a year later, we found the game increadibly enjoyable with a quick play and found some new strategies to try.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.