Rob Williams
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am putting together an order and need a couple of small games to help round out the order. But, I am having trouble finding some.
The reason they have to be small is a friend is bringing them back from America for me, so I can't use up all of his luggage allowance.

I am after small box games that ideally play with 4 players. Usually small box games are card games, but they don't have to be.

I love Citadels, Coloretto, San Juan so something like that would be good.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Boomtown
Wyatt Earp (Good rummy variant)
Bang
Trans Europa or Trans America (great game)
Through the Desert
Ra
Clans
No Thanks

Hope those suggestions help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GANDON François
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Camelot (R Knizia)
Queen's Necklace (B Faidutti)
Intrigue (Stefan Dorra)
Notthingham (Uwe Rosenberg)

They all come in small boxes. They are all card games with the exception of Intrigue, which is also the most "special" in this list. Read the reviews on BGG before you go for it.

I second the proposal of Clans, a nice little tactical game by Leo Colovini.

You can also try Medici (same box size) although I don't know if it works well with 4 players only.

FG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur
Lord of the Rings: the Confrontation (original edition) (2 players only)
Hey! That's My Fish!
Through the Desert
Trans(Europa|America)
Unspeakable Words - not too wordish if you don't like that
Cartagena (1 or 2)
Flaschenteufel
Wyatt Earp, or any of the Mystery Rummy series
Hive (2 players only)
BuyWord (another word game)
Castle - Citadels' sister game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second BANG! and Nottingham. Also consider Guillotine, Weapons of Mass Destruction, Aquarius, Chrononauts and Fluxx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the games bring suggested here are not that small - more medium-sized. Have a look on our website for box sizes - although we don't stock all the titles mentioned.
I was going to suggest Bohnanza but notice you've already got it. In fact, you have a numbers of the titles suggested so far.
How about Mykerinos? It's is a solid little Eurogame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, keeping mind the smallest possible size, and what games might be good to nab on this side of the pond:

1) Power Grid: Power Plant expansion

Since you have the game, this is the best dollar per upgrade you can find, which is in a 2.5x2.5x.25 box.

2) Mamma Mia! by Uwe Rosenberg and...

3) Sole Mio! by Uwe Rosenberg

The size is right, and the beautiful simplicity of the mechanism, coupled with the artwork and theme, is fantastic.

4) Mhing by Sundex Games

Not OOP like some think. This game is a hidden gem, which scales well with more players. A synthesis of rummy and Mah Jongg, the multiple hand constructions increase the replay value of this game and insure that it plays differently with different types of players. People can shoot high, or go low--and that makes it exciting and unpredictable.

5) The Nuclear War series of games by Flying Buffalo.

Nuclear War, Nuclear Escalation, Nuclear Proliferation, and of course Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Not simply a card game, this whimsical look at nuclear annihilation is a blast (pun intended) for any group. Hilarious, and great as a filler, or as a whole night of multiple plays.

6) Munchkin and any of the expansions.

If you've ever done RPG dungeon-crawls or if your friends played D&D of any type. Heck, if not, no matter... The hilarious series is a dungeon crawl with great Kovalic art, inside jokes, and theme.

You could choose any number of base themes and expansions. The expansions are extremely tiny boxes. Several can fit in each base game box.

But be sure and get BOX BANDS, which are made by Flying Buffalo. Not a game, they are x-shaped rubber bands which come in three sizes, and are the single most remarkable little game invention in 25 years, imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Since you like Citadels, I recommend Fist of Dragonstones, which is in a similar vein but (IMHO) far more enjoyable.
Other ideas:
Card games: Saboteur Cockroach Poker Vampire Circus Flohcati
Tiles in a bag: Tantrix Hive Trax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb
Gee. My idea of a small box game is a card game box. Here's some of my favourites. For four, eh? Okay:

Vom Kap bis Kairo
GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck
Den of Thieves
The Big Cheese
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
But be sure and get BOX BANDS, which are made by Flying Buffalo. Not a game, they are x-shaped rubber bands which come in three sizes, and are the single most remarkable little game invention in 25 years, imho.

Those seem, um, over-priced and over-engineered. Couldn't you achieve a pretty similar box-closing effect with 2 large ordinary-shaped rubber bands?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try...

Ruse & Bruise
Fairy Tale
Felicity: The Cat in the Sack
Nottingham
Wyatt Earp
10 Days in Africa
Colossal Arena
To Court the King
Cutthroat Caverns
Ivanhoe
6 nimmt! (aka "6 Nimmt" & "Slide 5")
I Go!
No Thanks!
Clans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version of Condottiere is pretty small, and it plays well with four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:

That is FANTASTIC!

Utterly unnecessary, of course...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Box bands- we use something very similar (x-bands) at work for holding files together- costs about £3 for a box of 25 or so, as far as I can tell from a quick Google search.

Having said that, I wouldn't expose any game of mine to rubber bands, having had bands corrode on me in the past, making a hell of a mess of the game components. I guess if these bands were made of something guaranteed non-corroding the price might be more reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Williams
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input guys, you have given me a few games to have a look at.

Cheers
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
diehard4life wrote:

Those seem, um, over-priced and over-engineered. Couldn't you achieve a pretty similar box-closing effect with 2 large ordinary-shaped rubber bands?

No. Until you try them, you will have no idea how great they are.

Instead of two rubber bands which work independently of one another, these provide support which moves with the box.

They are much easier to wrangle with than two rubber bands.

They are about 1 centimeter wide, so they rarely twist over themselves.

The quality of rubber used is better than most rubber bands. They stretch more than most, but show great memory, returning to their original size and shape, while still lying flat together.

Plus, you can carry a game by the box band, in the center, like kids used to bundle and carry their school books.

Such a little thing, but they have impressed most everyone who has seen them. Gamers and non-gamers alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
In terms of components, Tichu is overpriced. In terms of gameplay for 4, it is the best $10 you can spend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Such a little thing, but they have impressed most everyone who has seen them. Gamers and non-gamers alike.

Yup I just asked my FLGS to order them in.

I transport a lot of games to my club each week and these will allow me to pack more games into a box (vertically etc) without fear that the components will squeeze the lid off and go everywhere.

Suggestions -

Tichu
Mhing
Race for the Galaxy
Bohnana
Wyatt Earp
Fairy Tale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank's Zoo, Bananagrams, Pickomino, Perudo (Liar's Dice), Lord of the Rings Confrontation, and Lost Cities are good small games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We just went to FL. I took four games and by using baggies for the bits got them into one box:

Caylus Magna Carta (for 4)
Roma (for two)
Adel Verpflicthet
Yspahan

That's a big punch in a little package!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good small game is Fiji (same designer as Powergrid).

Or any of the Railroad Dice games.
Railroad Dice
Railroad Dice: Germany
Railroad Dice 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Godinho
Portugal
Vila Nova de Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still in time?

Meuterer / Verrater
Land Unter
6 nimmt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.