Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a thread about Tichu right now that talks about tracking information. In it several people are talking about tracking cards or counting them.

I personally have never done so but I imagine it would be a useful skill.

So for those of you who card count and keep track of up to say 20 cards at a time, what were the steps you took to learn the skill? How do you 'reset' between hands?

Did you just start slow and only track Aces and work your way up? Are you all savants? Do you have a shoe computer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I know nothing about Tichu, but I am an experienced Bridge player. Being able to count/add to 13 is critical. As for specific cards, you start modestly and work your way up; even so, I still forget about a Queen or Jack from time to time. Lapses happen. Usually, I am good to the 7 or 8, but I have also gotten down to a 5 one time for a finesse. So I'd suggest starting with the top-ranked cards and work your way down from there. It just takes practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:
Do you have a shoe computer?

Did you read that (non-fiction) book about the hippies with the shoe computer that cracked roulette? That was cool.

On topic now, I only card-count a little. I usually just try to pick a few important cards to track. In Hearts, for example, of course you're always going to track whether or not the Queen of Spades has been played. And if you're trying to shoot the moon, you'll need to track hearts. I usually do this by mentally repeating to myself which hearts I need to watch out for. If I have most of the high hearts, I'll be thinking, "two to eight, ten, queen." As I draw some of those cards out, I'll narrow down the list: "four, five, seven, eight, queen."

I'm not a savant, and this almost definitely isn't the best way, but it works for me. My memory/imagination/thought processes are largely auditory, so mentally "saying" what I need to watch for works for me. (See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/194395 for the thread that made me realize this.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.