Michael Garrett
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Purity of Essence.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game with my roomate who's not a devoted gamer like myself, which inspired this variant:

Normally when you roll to shake off a web you need a surge, but when we played he didn't roll a surge for 7 turns with one of his heros!

Instead: on the first turn the hero needs to roll a blank (1/6 chance), on the second turn needs a surge (normal, 2/6 chance), 3rd turn a 1/heart result (3/6 chance), 4th and subsequent turns anthing but a blank (5/6 chance)

i don't think this will affect things greatly, but it seemed like a way to prevent 7 turn webs in the future (and less likely to only work 1 turn)

let me know what you think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, I think the reason this isn't in the game to begin with is that "you have to roll a surge" is a simpler rule.

But yes, we also had this guy stuck in the web for ages. He didn't have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Garrett
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Purity of Essence.
mbmbmbmbmb
agreed, but with a bad experience under our belts i think this will be easy to remember

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
we have one player who can't lose a web to save their life (literally in this game). so anytime one of her characters get stuck we immediately send another character back to town to buy a charm doll (discard to remove up to 3 tokens). However there was one time when I was playing a mage with telekenisis, so I spent several turns moving the webbed warrior within attack range of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our variant is that any hero that is adjacent to the "webbed" hero when he/she activates can help try to remove the web counter. This allows a player seriously webbed to get his chums to help un-glue him from the floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim West
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
Our variant is that any hero that is adjacent to the "webbed" hero when he/she activates can help try to remove the web counter. This allows a player seriously webbed to get his chums to help un-glue him from the floor.

That's a good one, and a much simpler rule too. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Charm Doll is nice. I think 200 gold is too much for it though. I think 100 gold might be a bit more reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah 200 is steep, but the character who needs it usually has a curse token or two on them by that time anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Alvarado
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Web Variant "Struggle"

This seems to be a common occurance, I wonder if the dice are weighted?

OUR GrOuP
We had several suggestions and the one we came up with,
was Roll normally. If a surge is rolled play normally.

If not, Declare A ready action "struggle"/Rest, and Declare X spend X fatigue to roll that many black dice.
You have no movement points for anything but you can break free on a surge and must place a rest token on yourself. (May not spend MPs or use Fatigue to move or use a move action)

We are still testing it

This gives nimble charcters more of a chance to break out then a slow not so nimbled character. (based on fatigue) Most F3 chacters wore armor and felt in most cases this worked out and was a reasonable cost. Although this seems counter intuitive. Stronger characters should break out easier, the game doesn't make a distinction on how you get out, just that your out. I figure it could be justified either way, but there should be some cost, in fatigue or hitpoints, and ALL MOVEMENT, if you fail that first roll.

Discussions
1. There was talk about modifying for armor,
2. There was an idea of having damage done per heart/Range roll as you hurt yourself trying to break free of the web. 50% chancing of hurting yourself per die, 1/3 chance to get out per die and 1 chance of nothing.
3. Additional affects: Reducing availible hands by 1 while webbed.
4. Other players with Edged weapons could help cut them out. Make an attack. ( could not agree on success or if the person would take damage, Just a surge to free? # of hearts, what happens when an X is rolled)
5. Make those daggers much more useful. Can remove Web token on successful attack roll? (meet conditions)
6. Since it is easier to get out add other affects: 1 hand reduction,
Increased damage or suffer 1-3 peirce. (just can't get your armor in the way of the attack.) So instead of the Web being your last attack it would be your first attack so your second attacks are more succesful, killing the character so he doesn't even have to roll to get out.

These are more complicated then the 1/6, 2/6, 3/6, etc.
But the hero's almost always get out by the second Turn. It's always the same, you don't have to remember if you were webbed 2 turns ago or 4 turns ago.

I think the extra damage is good.
Your not forced to struggle and you decide how much you will struggel)
The OL gets some fatigued removed and some damage. (damage not reduced by armor)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Alvarado
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Did This thread die?

Looking for feedback.

It seems like the players want the melee characters to have a better chance.

Maybe use the black dice on the melee skill as a function.

Roll Normally, If surge Play nomrally.

If not Declare, BATTLE, READY order: You may not use any movement points
Roll Skill dice, to break free on surge for each attack action used.

Each heart does 1 damage ignorning armor.

OL still would like some fatigue spent to take these actions, but they would get them anyway. The trade off is a little damage.

Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Garrett
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Purity of Essence.
mbmbmbmbmb
i like your idea for using fatigue to modify the die roll

i don't like your idea to cause wounds, as i don't picture a web being capable of injury

i also liked someone else's idea of other heros helping the die roll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.