Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

After 3.5 hours of Descent, after a marathon Munchkin (a game that simply shouldn't last as long as it does) and a fun but annoyingly long SEVEN player Arkham Horror game the previous Thursday, I needed to play at least one decidedly Euro game before the week was out. We were quite tired, but more importantly, this was after and during the quaffing of quite a few of Wisconsin's finest New Glarus ales. One person went home, one declined, but against the current of the wee hours two of us busted out Puert..I mean Race for the Galaxy. The session itself ended in a 17 point tie, and I will not bore you with details of each turn that would be more from imagination than memory, yet I found some distinct benefits of this game that were amplified by our inebriation.

With only two players (learning as we went along, sometimes choosing actions simply because they hadn't been chosen before), I had the rulebook in front of me and we had one petrified non-combatant onlooker kibitzing unintelligibly and preparing for his inevitable morning crop-sickness. Why on earth did we bother after midnight to set up and play this game? First benefit of RftG: easy, extremely fast set up time. Without even having read the rules before this attempt I was able to get the planet cards and 6 action cards (removing the extras for the advanced 2-player) to both of us. That's all you need.

Second benefit: ease of play. There are some finicky rules, and the multi-lingual trend of today's boardgames to use iconography increases the learning curve, but essentially with two players, you lay down an action card and resolve, then on to the next turn--ad astra. I found this fantastic.

The use of the cards as the resources, for CaylusPuertoricoCatan type person, especially a drunk one, this bordered on blasphemy! Where were my cubes? Benefit three: as difficult as it was for us to figure out that cards were resources during the game, and you trade cards for more cards and trade card for victory points there are no 'extra bits' other than the victory point counters needed for RftG.

It is a testament to the design that we were able to both finish and get quite a bit of enjoyment (I actually speak only for myself on the latter) out of the game in our intoxicated state. I look forward to many more games much less chemically handicapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Glarus FTW! Ever had their Cherry Stout?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes! I went on a brewery tour in August and they had it there, it's a little too sweet to drink more than one for me, but they had this red-haired BOMBSHELL manning the kegs so I think I had about 4. Their new 'organic' is quite good and I had their IPA for the first time this weekend and it is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When New Glarus stopped shipping their Uff-Da beer to Chicago, I almost had to move to Wisconsin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmer Sivertsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought New Glarus was a planet. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've seen the size of the current brewery you'll realize why they may have cut Chicago, it's a beaut but small. The new one was going up over the summer and I'm sure they will turn on the taps for Chi-town back on as soon as they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.