Jim Reed
United States
Mount Holly
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a review/session report since it was my first experience with the game.

So, finally, I decided to pick this up and give it a shot. As you can see by my game ratings, Heroscape is my highest rated game. it's my favorite. I love it, my son loves it, and we have reeled in two other relatives to the game. The price on this thing has dropped drastically since Christmas (possibly not a good sign for HS but that's another story). So I picked it up for $12 at Target. A few day later and my son and I decided to give it a whirl.

OUT OF THE BOX: Everything looked great! The sculpts were awesome and the wall piece looked sweet! Everything was very colorful. We decided to build one of the two maps given in the guide book and just play a straight up battle, good vs. evil. So my first real disapointment came when I realized that the board setups were very boring (AND FLAT!). Besides the wall piece, it is all one level. So if you don't own any other Heroscape Master Set, these limited tiles will probably get old quick.

INTO THE GAME: I noticed very early that the smashable wall piece was not going to play much of a part in the game. With such a small board, in one move you could just about target all of each others figures. The wall only provides two spaces of height advantage so if one player gets two ranged figures on top, it's almost impossible to take them down. Especially with these figures.

SUPER STRENGTH AND DEFENSE: Almost all of these figures have incredible attack and defense (especially compared to all other HS figures). So going up against each other, I guess it's balanced. A 7 attack vs a 6 defense is about the same odds as a 4 attack vs a 3 defense. (sorry number guys, I know it's not exact!) I found that through most of the game, we were just using our normal attacks to fight. Most of the special ability are very samilar to those already on other characters.
Example: Doom's Mind Exchange is very simalar to a special power called mind shackle. Iron Man's double attack has been used on several figures.
My favorite special power is the Red Skulls. he gives you the ability to basically put all your turn markers on him, but instead of using him, you can use any figure within clear site of him. (which is the entire board except two spaces on this map)

VS HEROSCAPE: The verdict is still out on playing these figures with the rest of the HS universe. But, usually I play no more than a 500 point army which doesn't leave much room when you draft these high point eaters. Also, drafting defend against these juggernauts will probably be another challenge.

LAST WORDS: Worth the $12 but these figures won't see much action in our regular Heroscape battles. Perhaps the Marvel expansions will help, but I see only playing the Marvel figs all together and not as a mixed units. Not a good buy if you havn't played heroscape in any other fashion. Spend the extra cash and get the Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My son (7 years old) got into Heroscape over the summer and we've been playing it more than any other game since then. I originally wasn't at all interested in this expansion because I couldn't see the Marvel superheroes the HS universe. I found it for under $20 at Amazon just before Christmas, though, so I picked one up.

I agree with your points. One thing I'd add is that the many character abilities really bog things down at first. Playing with my young son we lose a lot of time making sure he understands all the options before him with the powers on these characters.

It seems odd that a Marvel product like this that might catch a lot of attention would have so many special rules on each figure. Kids who started with this set might find it too cumbersome to want to try other sets.

As an aside, do you get the impression they felt obligated to include Spiderman? He hasn't been much help at all in the scenarios we've played. He's pretty elusive, but running away isn't a very exciting strategy.

All things considered, I'm glad I was able to get it at a low price. For reasons you pointed out and for those I mentioned it will never be our expansion of choice though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too found the scenarios boring due to the terrain constraints. The maneuver element that works so well in Return of the Valkyrie or even Swarm of the Marro is just not there.

Hopefully players who start with this one will get a chance to play on more interesting battlefields before giving up on the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am waiting for the expansions on this one, most of the games are 1,200 pts and with only 10 guys someone ends up 150 pts or so short, just kinda sucks - IMO, it needs something else. The wall just doesn't really work well - it gets you some height but I have yet to play a game where someone broke down the wall verses attacking the other guy. I don't see adding it to HS, but to me it is basically just HS with more dice 0- instead of rolling 3 or 4 you roll 6 or 7.

Glad to hear the kids are loving HS thought, means it should be around for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ward
United States
x
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I dunno. With the prices I'm seeing, big box stores seem to be dropping it out the door. It may be running low on the profit margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthpilgrim wrote:
OUT OF THE BOX: Everything looked great! The sculpts were awesome and the wall piece looked sweet! Everything was very colorful. We decided to build one of the two maps given in the guide book and just play a straight up battle, good vs. evil. So my first real disapointment came when I realized that the board setups were very boring (AND FLAT!).

I agree -- the figures look great, but there's not enough terrain. I don't think it's a huge problem, though. You can easily mix in terrain from the other master sets. It would be a problem, however, if it was the only set you had.

Quote:
INTO THE GAME: I noticed very early that the smashable wall piece was not going to play much of a part in the game. With such a small board, in one move you could just about target all of each others figures. The wall only provides two spaces of height advantage so if one player gets two ranged figures on top, it's almost impossible to take them down. Especially with these figures.

Yeah, that piece was a nice concept, but not useful at all. In one of the published scenarios the warehouse does block off the end of the board, and you are supposed to enter the building to get the Doomsday Device (or whatever it's called). The scenario rules do NOT say that you can't simply fly over the wall. I believe they should say that, and that's how I played it both times we tried that scenario.

Quote:
I found that through most of the game, we were just using our normal attacks to fight.

I've used the special abilities quite a bit, actually. The ones that are NOT useful are the Stomp (Hulk and Abomination), and the web attack (Spiderman and Venom). Neither of those attacks does enough damage to penetrate the enormous defenses of the other Marvel units. Even those abilities are good, however, if you mix sets.

Quote:
VS HEROSCAPE: The verdict is still out on playing these figures with the rest of the HS universe.

Not to me. I love mixing them. The Hulk vs. an army of Samurai, is just too cool to pass up. I can't wait to try Wolverine vs. the Ninjas.

I'm not too interested in simply adding the Marvel guys to the list of possible draft choices. But as far as making up scenarios with them -- I think they add a great new dimension to the larger game.

Example: Dr. Doom tries to get rid of Ironman once and for all by sending him back in time, except he gets caught in the time vortex himself. Now Doom and Ironman must team up to get back to the present day, but first they have to fight their way through an army of knights and templars. Throw in Morsbane as "Merlin" and it gets pretty exciting.

Quote:
LAST WORDS: Worth the $12 but these figures won't see much action in our regular Heroscape battles. Perhaps the Marvel expansions will help, but I see only playing the Marvel figs all together and not as a mixed units. Not a good buy if you havn't played heroscape in any other fashion. Spend the extra cash and get the Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set first.

I mostly agree with that. It's definitely worth the discounted price (I got it for $12 also). I would not have been upset with the purchase at full price either, but then I have other Heroscape terrain to make reasonable maps.

Here's what I don't like about the set:

First, Hulk/Abomination and Spiderman/Venom are too similar. Yes, there are 10 figures included, but it kind of feels like only 8.

Second, Doom is way too weak. In the comics he can stand toe-to-toe with FOUR heroes (either the Fantastic Four or the Avengers) and have a shot at winning. In Marvelscape, he is only about a two-punch target at best. And, he is heavily targetted because the mind control ability is so scary.

Hopefully, the future will see a squad of Doombots with Dr. Doom bonding, or some other helpful ability. It would be great to see a Doombot with an ability like "That wasn't the real Doom: If Dr. Doom is destroyed, place him in the location of one of the Doombots, and destroy that Doombot instead."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
leprejuan wrote:
I dunno. With the prices I'm seeing, big box stores seem to be dropping it out the door. It may be running low on the profit margin.

That occurs every year after Christmas with lots of games. I am not saying it isn't being discontinued, but I am saying that is not necessarily a good indicatior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The robots and agents from regular Heroscape seem to fit in better with the Super Hero theme of Marvel, and some of the special abilities (like Hulk's stomp) are useful then. I played my 8-year-old girl in the first Marvel scenario (advanced rules) and she took Hulk, Spidey, Iron Man, and the Nakita Agents. I took Thanos, Venom, Doc, and the Krav Maga Agents.

She wiped me out -- I only defeated one of her agents. I did get Mind Control on Hulk for one turn and almost took out Iron Man with him, but that was my best turn. I couldn't even beat Spidey with Thanos in the final one-on-one fight on top of the warehouse ruins. She had a blast beating Dad.

I think the cowboys would make a good scenario for Capt. America vs. Red Skull. Cap chases Skull through a time machine back to the Old Wild West, where Skull tries to change American history by helping two outlaws defeat two lawmen, and of course Cap fights alongside the good guys. "Showdown at Dead Man's Gulch" or something like that

The Revolutionary War guys could be used for a similar scenario, now that the Redcoats are coming out (probably need two sets of each) and the World War II guys could, too, if Hasbro would come up with some Nazis and an SS officer to face off with the Airborne and Sgt. Drake.

That would make for a nice campaign -- 2 out of 3 wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a superhero fight whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.