Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Checkers» Forums » General

Subject: Why are the spaces and pieces the same color? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any idea why, when you buy a checker set, the board and pieces are the same color? Typically, this is red and black (red and black pieces on a red and black board). But, even in cases where the colors change, there is the pattern of having the pieces and spaces the same color? Look through the pictures of checkers and you will see what I mean.

Does this make sense? To me, after thinking of it, it seems absurd, but for some reason this became the tradition.

Anyhow, if you look at the way the American Checker Federation runs its tournaments, it uses a green and pale board with red and black checkers.

If anyone has an answer to the mystery, please let me know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The visual tones of black and white have the greatest contrast. So black and vs makes perfect sense for a clear view of the board. I'm guessing 99% of all classic sets are sold like this.

I don't think there is an unwritten rule where pieces usually match the board squares in colour. After checking the pics on BGG it would appear that anything goes, no mystery as far as i can see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
The visual tones of black and white have the greatest contrast. So black and vs makes perfect sense for a clear view of the board. I'm guessing 99% of all classic sets are sold like this.

I don't think there is an unwritten rule where pieces usually match the board squares in colour. After checking the pics on BGG it would appear that anything goes, no mystery as far as i can see.


It is currently red and black pieces on a red and black board normally. If they change the color, then they go with the same pieces and board being the same color. I was curious why. I think it is force of habit. I am just curious why this ended up becoming the tradition though.

I will ask here, if you were designing checkers now, would you use pieces that have the same color as their board?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
I will ask here, if you were designing checkers now, would you use pieces that have the same color as their board?

I wouldn't.

It's a question of form versus function. Having the entire set rendered in just two colors tends to be more aesthetically pleasing; however, it hinders usability to some extent, If I were the designer, I'd give function the edge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire wrote:
docreason wrote:
I will ask here, if you were designing checkers now, would you use pieces that have the same color as their board?

I wouldn't.

It's a question of form versus function. Having the entire set rendered in just two colors tends to be more aesthetically pleasing; however, it hinders usability to some extent, If I were the designer, I'd give function the edge.


One can use white and gray and red and black, and it be aesthetically pleasing. There has to be some other reason for why it is the way it is now. No one seems to know why though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Peterson
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the people who mass market the game are silly. Here's a regulation board:


Red and White checkers on a Green and Buff board.

-JEEP
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeep wrote:
Because the people who mass market the game are silly. Here's a regulation board:


Red and White checkers on a Green and Buff board.

-JEEP


That is easier to make out actually. The red probably could use to be lighter. I believe that the green there is a lighter green normally. The people who mass market the game follow what they think sells. It reminds me of an scene from taxi regarding fruit in the vending machine, where Iggy tells the people not to buy the rotten fruit in front, or they will restock more rotten fruit.

- Rich
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
badge
Avatar
The draughts set I grew up with had black and white pieces on a black and white chess board, and that's what we played with when I was little. Later, when Grandad's eyesight couldn't really deal with black pieces on black squares, we switched to using red and yellow Connect 4 pieces. They're easy to see against the board, easy to hold and they interlock nicely when you make a king.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.