Popular Tags: [View All]
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[rant]

..am I the only one who is disappointed in the models themselves? Yeah I'm gonna buy it because it's a cool expansion, but I'll definately be finding better planes than these clunky, mis-proportioned, similarly sculpted models that come with the game.

With the exception of the Corsair, to me they look vaguely like the planes they are supposed to be. I guess the paint schemes are meant to hide lots of liberty with the sculptings.

THOSE are supposed to be Spitfires? Sure the paint jobs help but the sculpt is too squat and the elegant elliptical wing is non-existant. It's like they squeezed the tail making it much more bulky in appearance and for what reason?

Very different than what I recall:

Yes, I know there are various versions pictured. Any one of them still looks better than the plastic models in the air-pack.

I love Days of Wonder, but some days I wonder what the hell they are thinking when it comes to this kind of stuff (Don't get me started on the lack of monsters for Battlelore either).

[/rant]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with you if the planes were part of a serious wargame simulating aerial battles, but for a fun dice game like Memoir i think that they are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GeoMan wrote:
I would agree with you if the planes were part of a serious wargame simulating aerial battles, but for a fun dice game like Memoir i think that they are fine.

I was going to say the same. Memoir is an abstract wargame so it is fitting the models are abstract as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

This is a dice fest too, yet the planes look much more realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:

..am I the only one who is disappointed in the models themselves?

Me too, a bit. The planes are more caricatures than scale miniatures.

On the other hand, since this is a game I am NOT going to paint the miniatures in realistic form, I can live with it.

My extras minis are painted the same color as the plastic ones, and with a satin finish to make them look “plastic”

The ME-109 y got from the magazine was painted without special markings to blend it with the other planes.

GW, Canvas Eagles, and Battlecry take up all my painting time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't disagree with any of the points you make, but I do think that (as the other guy stated), this is a fun, light, game and it's pretty much a non-issue.

In a perfect world, the models could have been spot on, but (shrug), it's no big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not disputing any of the points that have been made in defense of the minis as they are all true.

What is disappointing is that the effort between making the miniatures that come with the game verses making ACCURATE miniatures to please the historian in myself (and others like me) is next to nothing. At some point, some sculptor was making the initial design and probably had the instructions to: "make these 8 planes".

After the first one was made, all that was needed was someone to say "Hey that looks pretty good, but its just a little bulky and not proportioned quite right. Can you fix it?" Since the guy wants to get paid, I think it would have been easy to do. The point is, no one cared, which is unfortunate - especially since the game is trying to be a stepping stone to learning about WWII history.

I recall the same kinds of comments about the tanks and how they didnt scale right when the game was first out. I'll just get me some nice die-cast planes to use instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.