Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
A concealed unit with camouflage can remain concealed if it does only 1 hit on a vehicule causing light damage. Considering that 2 hits can do the same damage and would force the concealed unit to be revealed, it is preferable to do only 1 damage to the vehicule?!

Weird situation!?

Do I miss something? Or can I shoot up intentionally in the air and reduce my number of dice?!surpriseshake

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe you are talking about "Concealed Squads" as a concealed squad wouldn't even be able to fire upon an enemy unit (or even come within line of sight) without being exposed.

Is this from a scenario special rule or a card? If so, which card is this and what is the text from the card?

Sorry - I'm too lazy to get down my copy of ToI to look myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The operational card Camouflage (note the errata at the end of the rulebook) grant concealead units that benefit. My question only concerns those units of course.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is the errata as directly quoted from the back of the rules manual:

"Operations Card “Camouflage”: “Your concealed squads are
not revealed when firing, unless the attack inflicted 2 or more
hits on the enemy.”"

I then looked up exactly what a "hit" is thinking that perhaps so long as you only did one "damage level" to a vehicle then it would still count as a single "hit" but that is not the case.

Seems as if you do have a chance of accidentally revealing yourself if you do two hits to a vehicle, even if that means only a single damage level.

I didn't bother reading through the manual recently, but I don't remember ever seeing any rules stating that an attacker could hold back on the amount of hits scored as that usually would not be desired.

So, yeah, I'm now just as confused as you are.

The way the rules read to me, the only way you could possibly only score one hit is if you intentionally did not have all of the members of a squad fire upon an enemy to begin with. From what I remember from the rules you DO have control over which members of a squad fire upon an enemy and which do not. But there seems no way to intentionally reduce the amount of hits scored once they are tallied.

So if you want to keep your squad hidden, you just have to be careful with how many squad members are firing but the cost is that you still might not get any hits...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...I think you are right, Matt.
I guess it would be one way of avoiding that situation.
Kind of weird.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've yet played a ToI scenario that uses that Operations card but it is one of the stranger ones in my opinion.

The more I think on it though, it is making more and more sense to me. The whole point of the Op card is to allow you the chance at keeping the squad concealed, but if they direct too much firepower then their position is given away.

So yeah, kind of an interesting card that could possibly have used a little more details in the rules.

Maybe if you posted on the FFG ToI website about the card perhaps the developers could add an errata to it or at least provide more of an official answer - maybe even find out what was intended with the Operations card from a gameplay perspective.

Thanks for posting about this topic by the way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
owll wrote:
Yeah...I think you are right, Matt.
I guess it would be one way of avoiding that situation.
Kind of weird.

Why is it weird?

It is a press your luck situation. You chose to fire with more than 1 die, so you have a chance of revealing yourself.

Think of the classic sniper. He firers 1 shot, not a machinegun. Firering a machine gun will give away his position much quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup Mike. It is a gamble and the way you put it, it make sens.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you knew Owll, but if Mike Z commented on it in this forum that would be about as good of an official explanation as you could get.

Thanks for the clarification Mike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt, but I was aware of that as I read most of the posts on TOI and Mike is very helpful in any rule explanation and justification. For me as it is for you, it's as official as it can be for sure.

Thanks again Mike.
Thanks also for the the short Tiger Hunt scenario which is very very good and challenging.

TOI is a marvelous game and full of subtilities that you discover the more you play it. Can't wait for the Desert expansion and the AT guns and it's comming very shortly...Yeahhh!

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.