Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Pastore
United States
Philadelphia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are correct in your analysis of the discard pile turning into the draw pile and losing any chance for Tricky Dick et al. to do their job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, don't wait too long or Tricky Dick will get wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That more or less happened to my opponent in my third game, which was the first time we'd run out of cards. The others are correct as to the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slobod wrote:
...does it mean that cards like "Tricky Dick" or "Nelson Rockefeller" (cards which allow a player to search the discard pile for cards to play) are rendered essentially useless as events?

Definitely not useless. There are various reasons a good card will end up in the discard pile rather than removed from play:
-It is pre-empted by the person who played it
-It is played for CP and the opponent didn't have any momentum tokens

I initially try to explain this not by making a distinction between "discarded" and "removed from play" but by telling my opponent that each card, in effect, references a unique historical event (though this isn't exactly true--a certain amount of the cards are simply a general type of event), and so that event can't occur twice in one game.

Personally, I like this setup. I think it's cool that someone can't nail you with a big card and then retrieve it from the deck and slam you with it again. (I.e., "Yeah! Kennedy's making his speech to the Houston Ministers AGAIN!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
draw pile exhausted in first games last draw... well when we got all the get new cards cards at the same time.

On simillar note, can you look at the discard pile before playing a card (might have been answered already, but I'm lazy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
On simillar note, can you look at the discard pile before playing a card (might have been answered already, but I'm lazy)

Yes, you can. In a game where cards affect the discard pile, or retrieve cards from the pile, the contents of the discard pile should be public knowledge. (That's not in the rules, I think, but the designers have popped in and agreed. It's also a logical and useful guideline for games in general!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what the actual rule is here, but after shuffling and dealing the last hands, I figured the remaining cards could become a discard deck again. Although I've considered this problem, it's never actually caused any problem so I've never worried if I was doing things right or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards could still be held until later in turn 8 and used to retrieve a card that had already been played for CPs. You might even retrieve a card that had a state that you wished to play for Campaign Strategy.

And the card is still useful for CPs itself. There are plenty of reasons to play CPs on turn 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just played my first game, and we didn't come particularly close to a reshuffle. How often does it happen? In a third of games, roughly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hathaway
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
tomchaps wrote:
I just played my first game, and we didn't come particularly close to a reshuffle. How often does it happen? In a third of games, roughly?

There are 91 cards in the deck. 5x12+2x14=88 of them are dealt during the course of the game. Thus the only time you will have to reshuffle the discards are when certain event cards cause a total of more than three cards to be drawn from the deck during the game. Events involving card draws are Political Capital and High Hopes (drawing two cards each), and Campaign Headquarters and A New Frontier, which both involve discarding any number of cards from the hand and drawing replacements in equal number from the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.