Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Zevin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all,

This is my first official post on a BGG forum. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I have utilized this amazing website for years, but never actually joined the community. Anyway, it's nice to finally be here among fellow gaming enthusiasts.

Since I'm always looking for new games to buy and play and I'm kind of at a loss at the moment, I figured why not see what suggestions any of you might have for me.

Right now my favorite games are -

El Grande
Amun Re
Caylus
Race for the Galaxy
Mission Red Planet
Tikal
----------------------------------------------------------

In theory I love longer games like Twilight Imperium and Arkham Horror, but since my gaming group rarely has the intenstinal fortitude to finish them, I seldom get the chance to play them.

So if anyone has suggestions for some good 1-2 1/2 hr. games similar to the ones above, I would be forever grateful. My full list of games is under my dzevin profile. I've been gaming for quite some time now, so if I can be of any assistance in helping any of you to find new games, I would, of course, be happy to do so.

BGG ROCKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know what you've tried out at this point. You might do well to look through the comments and reviews for the top 20 games or so and see what appeals to you of games that you haven't tried. Sounds like you enjoy Eurogames from your list. Can I assume you have tried out the obvious ones like Puerto Rico and Tigris and Euphrates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on El Grande being your favorite game, I would recommend Notre Dame and Louis XIV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Area Influence works for your group. Check out:

Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India
In the Shadow of the Emperor
La Città
Merchants of Amsterdam
Carolus Magnus
Mexica
Java
Samurai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zevin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all. I will check these out. Two of my more obscure gaming suggestions are the old Mayfair version of Cosmic Encounter along with More Cosmic Encounter and believe it or not, a milton bradley game, Samurai Swords. Both are good finds among the lower reviewed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa, Caylus Magna Carta and Saint Petersburg come to mind. Somewhat lighter, Cleopatra and the Society of Architects and Vikings.

If you're local, come over and try them next Saturday. I know some TI3 players, and I'd like to try AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zevin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the invite Tall_Walt!!!

I'm kind of local, in Los Angeles, but I can certainly make the trek. I'm busy this Saturday, but I checked out your Yahoo Group schedule and I'll definetly swing by one of these days. I love learning new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Princes of Florence. It works best with five and plays in about 90 minutes. Another possibility would be Citadels, since you listed Mission Red Planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootleggers is a great game that for some reason rarely is recommended. Don't know why really. It combines area control mechanisms with a bit more aggressive card play and has a very nifty way of determining turn order. It plays great with up to six players and while it plays longer than 2 hours with the full compliment of players, it rarely stretches on for more than 3. Like Mission:Red Planet, Bootleggers manages to combines a strong theme with stable, well thought trough mechanics. It has great bits too!

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is another good game that probably will appeal to you, but I think this game will feel less "new" to you compared to Bootleggers. Just about everything in AoE III has been done before, but it is combined in a great way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.