Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Nunes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have read a lot of people talking about how the end room is too easy for the heroes. Maybe it was just the fact it was our first time playing (review to come) but I think playing the overlord requires some thinking ahead.

For example, I knew the end room contained two master manticore's. So when I drew two Rage cards I instantly knew I'd hold on to them and unleash them when activating the manticore's. 4 attacks for each of them. Yummy.

Needless to say Manticore #1 killed off One-Fist at full health. The Other killed off the tank at full health. Oh, I also had the DOOM! card out.

it was dope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
The first couple of quests are relatively easy compared to the later ones as they are geared to giving the heroes experience in how the game works. The later quests final rooms are usually pretty powerful.

As a side question, did your heroes open the door as one of the last actions of their turn, thus preventing them from getting an attack in? They should be able to kill most monsters in one hit by the time they are at the final room.

I also recommend waiting until you complete a few more quests before reviewing Descent, because the first couple are so much simpler than the later ones. It is possible that your opinion of the game could change a lot between your initial review and your final opinion.

EDIT: Also, most quests are designed with three heroes in mind. If you only had two during the first quest, it is likely that newbie heroes would struggle. And good job saving the Rage cards. A good OL should always be stocked up for the final room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rynunes wrote:
So, I have read a lot of people talking about how the end room is too easy for the heroes. Maybe it was just the fact it was our first time playing (review to come) but I think playing the overlord requires some thinking ahead.

For example, I knew the end room contained two master manticore's. So when I drew two Rage cards I instantly knew I'd hold on to them and unleash them when activating the manticore's. 4 attacks for each of them. Yummy.

Needless to say Manticore #1 killed off One-Fist at full health. The Other killed off the tank at full health. Oh, I also had the DOOM! card out.

it was dope.

I guess great minds think alike. I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. I waited for their hero to run in and open that gold chest. I then cursed him into a monkey. And on my turn, used rage with a manticore for the 4 attacks to wipe him out to cause them to lose their last conquest token. fun stuff

This was a five player game using both expansions. Had a lot of fun with the dark glyphs in that game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.