Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've pre-ordered Agricola without having played it, however, I've read through (most of) the rules and I'm very intrigued (sp.?) by it....so, as I said, I've pre-ordered it.
So, while I wait for it to be released, I'm looking for a board game that will scratch my "Agricola" itch...by this I mean something related to farming, that might also include animals. However, I need it to work well with 2 players, and if it plays well solitaire, that would be a huge bonus. (I realize I'm describing Agricola itself here...) Maybe even incorporate area control/territory building...maybe economics also.
Whew! Is this too tall an order? Am I being too picky? I'm just hoping that out of all that's out there, surely something currently available comes CLOSE to filling that bill.
I own and enjoy Puerto Rico, which is farming related....I've been looking at "Hacienda"...would this be a good choice?

Thanks for any and all input...!
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those animals in Agricola are just cubes. So my advice is to grab Caylus or Pillars of the Earth or Leonardo Da Vinci or Age of Empires III.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of cubes...you might get that itch scratched by playing Harvest Moon for the Nintendo Gamecube. No multiplayer...but lots of solitaire farming to be had while waiting for your boardgame version of farming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calm Fluffy Bunnies
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats perhaps?

Not actually farming, but there are donkeys and geese, the material flows are vaguely similar and it has excellent solo play options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hear the Farming Game is pretty similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:
Knizia has a new one coming soon called "Die watchen grassen gröwen"

Is that his follow-up game to the classic "Aufpassende Farbe Trocken"? (if you're going to be clever, use the real language) cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

I guess the animals I mentioned was more of an after-thought, so they're not that important, but I AM looking for something along the same farming/agriculture theme....

Do the games you've mentioned play well 2-player, and how about solo? I've heard of Caylus, but don't know that much about it, however, I guess I should have mentioned that the game must also be a fair "gateway" game IF POSSIBLE....the person I will be playing with mostly is my wife, and she's not too keen on the brain-burners I've tried a couple of times before....

Thanks, I really do appreciate it....
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered Roads & Boats, but I keep reading that the solitaire play is more of a puzzle than anything else....and the price of that thing! I can't talk my wife into spending more on a board game than we pay for electricity every month....whew!

So, is it REALLY just a puzzle solo?

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
I've considered Roads & Boats, but I keep reading that the solitaire play is more of a puzzle than anything else....and the price of that thing! I can't talk my wife into spending more on a board game than we pay for electricity every month....whew!

I suggest you start leaving more lights on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
jrbentley wrote:

I suggest you start leaving more lights on.

Well, it's more just a matter of getting my wife to stay on the bicycle longer......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tudor
United States
Paoli
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Pillars of the Earth and see if it's a game you might be interested in trying/purchasing. Like Agricola, it uses cards and a worker placement mechanic. Caylus is up the same alley, albeit heavier than Pillars (but probably a similar weight to Agricola itself). I'd recommend Pillars first because it will come closer to satisfying the non-brain-burner requirement.

Scott Nicholson did a very nice video review of Pillars of the Earth -- watch it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I will check out Pillars!

BTW, is it playable solo also....?

jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tornspace wrote:
Very much like Agricola:

Hmmm, not sure if you're referring to Pillars....so Pillars doesn't play solo? Or are you saying Agricola doesn't play solo very well....?

(Is that paint thinned? Perhaps you should re-paint and thin no more...)

Thanks for the input!
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tudor
United States
Paoli
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
Thanks, I will check out Pillars! BTW, is it playable solo also....?

No, Pillars is for 2-4 players. There really aren't that many solo games out there, at least for most themed games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ignorant
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hacienda is a great choice! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input....after careful consideration, I decided on........

......Arkadia! (Yeah, I know, out of left-field.) I listen to some podcasts (love "The Spiel"!) and when I heard the review of Arkadia, it piqued my interest...I looked at several reviews, and decided to give it a try...however, I will end up trying Hacienda, too.....

Thanks for everyone's input, patience with a newbie, insight, points-of-view, senses of humor, 2-cents, etc, etc, etc.....

jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.